Re: [MSG-1] Strange memory loss

  • Ulrich G. Kliegis
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
      An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
      Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
      Datum: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 17:51:17 -0000
      Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Strange memory loss
      Antwort an: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com

      > I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

      Yes, thanks. But did you hide any explanation of why the MSG3 instance forgot all
      its channel settings? If yes, I did not find the easter egg yet.If not, no idea either?
      (can't imagine that...)

      Cheers,
      U.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
        Yes, thanks. But did you hide any explanation of why the MSG3 instance
        forgot all
        its channel settings? If yes, I did not find the easter egg yet.If not, no
        idea either?
        (can't imagine that...)

        Cheers,
        U.
        ============================

        Ulrich,

        Normally, the MSG Data Manager only saves settings when it is closed down,
        either with the Close button, or with the "X" icon in the top-right corner.
        If it crashes, then the settings are not saved. So to be sure, close the
        program after a settings change and restart it.

        The registry key in which the settings are saved are tied to the name of the
        executable file, so if, for example, your MSG-1 and MSG-3 data manager
        instances were /both/ named MsgDataManager.exe, then the settings from one
        program would overwrite the previous settings from the other program, with
        the last program to close having the last word. I appreciate that this is
        unlikely to apply in your case.

        Finally, if you do a System Restore, the registry settings for a new program
        may be lost if the restore point was before you installed that program.

      • Ulrich G. Kliegis
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
          David,

          thanks for that advice. I guess that's the reason. I am not sure if the system actually
          restarted unattendedly, I could check the log files. But since I am sure that I did not
          stop this instance of msgdm (why stop a running system? :) ) I'll cycle it though a
          controlled exit and manual restart right now.

          Since the system runs flawlessly otherwise, there was absolutely no reason to
          restore it. So, that can be ruled out too.

          Thanks again for your advice!

          Cheers,
          U.

          An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
          Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
          Datum: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 07:21:14 -0000

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
            David,

            thanks for that advice. I guess that's the reason. I am not sure if the
            system actually
            restarted unattendedly, I could check the log files. But since I am sure
            that I did not
            stop this instance of msgdm (why stop a running system? :) ) I'll cycle it
            though a
            controlled exit and manual restart right now.

            Since the system runs flawlessly otherwise, there was absolutely no reason
            restore it. So, that can be ruled out too.

            Thanks again for your advice!

            Cheers,
            U.

            Ulrich,

            You could look for event 6005 in the Windows System event log. I have a
            preset query which does that on the Windows-7 systems.

            One point I should make is that the MSG Data Manager will try and handle a
            Windows shutdown elegantly, by saving its images, and saving its settings.
            Windows sends a message to all running programs that it is closing down.
            Depending on how many images you have, it could take 20-30 seconds for the
            MSG Data Manager to close down completely. A system crash is not an elegant
            shutdown, though!