Strange memory loss

  • Ulrich G. Kliegis
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013
      Today, the second time within 15 days or so, my MSG datastream came to a full
      stop again. Everything else continued to work.

      I keep three instances of MSG-DM in my program zoo, each systematically
      reserved for MSG1, ~2 and ~3.

      The corresponding names have been modified to MSG2datamanager.exe and
      MSG3datamanager.exe. The instance for MSG1 kept its birthname.

      All related accompanying files were renamed accordingly, and they live in folders
      MSG1, MSG2, and MSG3.

      So far, so good.

      When I had started this ensemble, I had activated all channels that come on the
      MSG3-ticket in MSG3datamanager, accordingly for ~2 and ~1.

      Data streamed in as advertised.

      When the data stream had stopped the first time, I thought of an automatic restart
      after a power loss or some other nonlinearity, considering a fallback of these
      parameters in the registry since I did not restart the PC after setting the channels.
      It's been an extraordinarily sunless winter this time, the lack of serotonine and such,
      you know... .

      Well, at leastm I found all activation checkmarks were cleared then. I reactivated
      everything, and off it went again. Fine. That was about 15 +- some days ago.

      Today, exactly the same scenario.

      I looked a bit deeper and discovered that the restart~.cmd was named without the
      '3' in it in the MSG3 folder, and that it also contained the '3'-less content.

      In variant '2', everything matched, and neither in '2' nor in '1', the channel selection
      was changed, even under the side condition that there is no RSS traffic until
      tomorrow morning.

      Now, this faulty ~.cmd file lived in the msg3 folder in the program tree (Win XP 32),
      the usual place where David has defaulted them. Can it it be that it purged the
      channel selection due to the naming error?

      Everything else, specially the directory selection, remained intact.

      I am not quite sure how this restart option works at all and what it is good for. They
      are all set to 0 minutes in all three instances.

      I corrected the numeration error now and (never change more than two parameters
      at any time... ;/ ) renamed the ~.cmd files to ~.cmd.off .

      Will I experience a progressive decerebration of my receiver now, or was it just that
      misnaming that caused the amnesia?

      Cheers,
      U.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
[...]

        Ulrich,

        The file name is constant, always "RestartMsgDataManager.cmd". The content
        of the file will change according to the name of the executable program you
        wish to restart. A zero value for Program auto-restart (minutes) will mean
        no automatic restart.

        The instance for MSG-3 should be pointing at the \received\ directory, with
        sub-directories: \received\Data Channel 1\ and so forth. It should be the
        prime processing instance, covering FSD and all the other data.

        The RSS instance, current set for MSG-1, should be pointed at a separate
        directory, such as \received\RSS\ to which the streams for channel 5 and 6
        are directed.

        For the temporary parallel-scan data, point the MSG-2 instance at
        \received\Data Channel 15\.

        Some time in April, stop the MSG-1 and MSG-2 instances, close down the
        programs, repoint MSG-2 at \received\RSS\ and MSG-1 at Data Channel 15\ (if
        you wish), and start processing again. The date is set as April 9, and the
        time might be 09:00 UTC but isn't yet confirmed.

        I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

      • Ulrich G. Kliegis
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
          An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
          Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
          Datum: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 17:51:17 -0000
          Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Strange memory loss
          Antwort an: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com

          > I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

          Yes, thanks. But did you hide any explanation of why the MSG3 instance forgot all
          its channel settings? If yes, I did not find the easter egg yet.If not, no idea either?
          (can't imagine that...)

          Cheers,
          U.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2013
            Yes, thanks. But did you hide any explanation of why the MSG3 instance
            forgot all
            its channel settings? If yes, I did not find the easter egg yet.If not, no
            idea either?
            (can't imagine that...)

            Cheers,
            U.
            ============================

            Ulrich,

            Normally, the MSG Data Manager only saves settings when it is closed down,
            either with the Close button, or with the "X" icon in the top-right corner.
            If it crashes, then the settings are not saved. So to be sure, close the
            program after a settings change and restart it.

            The registry key in which the settings are saved are tied to the name of the
            executable file, so if, for example, your MSG-1 and MSG-3 data manager
            instances were /both/ named MsgDataManager.exe, then the settings from one
            program would overwrite the previous settings from the other program, with
            the last program to close having the last word. I appreciate that this is
            unlikely to apply in your case.

            Finally, if you do a System Restore, the registry settings for a new program
            may be lost if the restore point was before you installed that program.

          • Ulrich G. Kliegis
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
              David,

              thanks for that advice. I guess that's the reason. I am not sure if the system actually
              restarted unattendedly, I could check the log files. But since I am sure that I did not
              stop this instance of msgdm (why stop a running system? :) ) I'll cycle it though a
              controlled exit and manual restart right now.

              Since the system runs flawlessly otherwise, there was absolutely no reason to
              restore it. So, that can be ruled out too.

              Thanks again for your advice!

              Cheers,
              U.

              An: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
              Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>
              Datum: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 07:21:14 -0000

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2013
                David,

                thanks for that advice. I guess that's the reason. I am not sure if the
                system actually
                restarted unattendedly, I could check the log files. But since I am sure
                that I did not
                stop this instance of msgdm (why stop a running system? :) ) I'll cycle it
                though a
                controlled exit and manual restart right now.

                Since the system runs flawlessly otherwise, there was absolutely no reason
                restore it. So, that can be ruled out too.

                Thanks again for your advice!

                Cheers,
                U.

                Ulrich,

                You could look for event 6005 in the Windows System event log. I have a
                preset query which does that on the Windows-7 systems.

                One point I should make is that the MSG Data Manager will try and handle a
                Windows shutdown elegantly, by saving its images, and saving its settings.
                Windows sends a message to all running programs that it is closing down.
                Depending on how many images you have, it could take 20-30 seconds for the
                MSG Data Manager to close down completely. A system crash is not an elegant
                shutdown, though!