Proposal: MSG-n in the window's name field?

  • Ulrich G. Kliegis
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
      David,
      what do you (and others) think about showing the ID of the MSG that is serviced by
      the related instance of MSG-DM in its window's name field, like the Metop(A) and
      (B) descriptor in the Metop programs? So one could immediately see, ahh, this is
      MSG-1, that MSG-3, etc.

      I experienced some issues yesterday here (maybe a brownout or something that
      mixed up things, we had some pretty fast air around here), that let the image data
      flow stop ( is it also decontamination time? No RSS images since yesterday, Jan31,
      0725 UT) and I took the opportunity to install the latest versions of MSG-DM and
      animator.

      Well, you guess it, I mixed up the various instances serving MSG-1, MSG-2 and
      MSG-3, leading to the necessity to teach them again who does what (and what not,
      not yet finished).

      During that setup, I had to check again and again what satellite I am working on.

      Before becoming triply redundant: What do you folks think about the above
      mentioned proposal? Would it be an easy task, David?

      BTW, I see the "data from" field in the lower right corner, but nothing else appears
      there. Bug or feature?

      Cheers,
      U.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
[...]

        Ulrich,

        MSG-1/2/3 is already in the program's title bar, and in the pop-up hint when
        you mouse over the icon in the taskbar. It's there for exactly the reason
        you mentioned - and I was getting confused as well, so I added the same
        facility to the Metop Manger. It's been in the MSG Data Manager for ages.
        It would be redundant adding it to the Help, About, I feel.

        Data from will be empty until a prolog message is received, and there's one
        at the start of every scan. While the RSS takes its month rest, there are
        no scans, no prolog messages, and hence the From field stays unknown.

      • Ulrich G. Kliegis
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
          > MSG-1/2/3 is already in the program's title bar, and in the pop-up
          > hint when you mouse over the icon in the taskbar. It's there for exactly the
          > reason you mentioned - and I was getting confused as well, so I added the
          > same facility to the Metop Manger. It's been in the MSG Data Manager for
          > ages.
          > It would be redundant adding it to the Help, About, I feel.

          It seems it appears in the title bar only after the first prolog message is received,
          possible?

          > Data from will be empty until a prolog message is received, and
          > there's one at the start of every scan. While the RSS takes its month rest,
          > there are no scans, no prolog messages, and hence the From field stays
          > unknown.

          Now, the situation has become even more confusing. I installed msg-dm in three
          instances yesterday, different folders, all named as usual, msg-datamanager1, ~2,
          ~3.*

          Three instances are on the screen. One does not carry any satellite number in the
          title bar, the two others carry MSG-3, although one of them is set to MSG-1. The
          one without any number (with the native program title) is set to MSG-2. It receives
          nothing, data from... is orphane.

          The two others show both data from MSG-3 (which is correct only for one,
          according to its setting.

          What goes wrong here?

          XP pro...

          Cheers and thanks,
          U.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
            > MSG-1/2/3 is already in the program's title bar, and in the pop-up
            > hint when you mouse over the icon in the taskbar. It's there for exactly
            > the
            > reason you mentioned - and I was getting confused as well, so I added the
            > same facility to the Metop Manger. It's been in the MSG Data Manager for
            > ages.
            > It would be redundant adding it to the Help, About, I feel.

            It seems it appears in the title bar only after the first prolog message is
            received,
            possible?

            > Data from will be empty until a prolog message is received, and
            > there's one at the start of every scan. While the RSS takes its month
            > rest,
            > there are no scans, no prolog messages, and hence the From field stays
            > unknown.

            Now, the situation has become even more confusing. I installed msg-dm in
            three
            instances yesterday, different folders, all named as usual,
            msg-datamanager1, ~2,
            ~3.*

            Three instances are on the screen. One does not carry any satellite number
            in the
            title bar, the two others carry MSG-3, although one of them is set to MSG-1.
            The
            one without any number (with the native program title) is set to MSG-2. It
            receives
            nothing, data from... is orphane.

            The two others show both data from MSG-3 (which is correct only for one,
            according to its setting.

            What goes wrong here?

            XP pro...

            Cheers and thanks,
            U.
            =================================

            Yes, the title bar is derived from the prolog message.

            A restarted MSG-2 instance should show nothing in the title bar (unless you
            are set up for parallel scanning) as there is no MSG-2 data being sent now.
            Just MSG-3 data.

            Equally, as Rapid Scan is on it's month's vacation, there will be no
            satellite indication in a newly-started MSG-1 data Manager, but one which
            has been running for a time will have the satellite name of the first
            satellite it received.

            i hope that helps.

          • Ulrich G. Kliegis
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
              Von: "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...>

              > A restarted MSG-2 instance should show nothing in the title bar
              > (unless you are set up for parallel scanning) as there is no MSG-2 data being
              > sent now.

              > i hope that helps.

              It certainly did - thanks. RESTART was the keyword. Having had these program run
              for such a long time without any flaws, visits to their basement home-PC my own
              memory timed out, it seems.

              Everything looking smooth now again, and yes, I remember the MSG-1, -2, -3 now
              again.

              Cheers,
              U.
            • Ulrich G. Kliegis
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
                An: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com
                Priorit├Ąt: normal
                Von: "Ulrich G. Kliegis" <Ulrich.Kliegis@...>
                Datum: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:04:45 +0100
                Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Proposal: MSG-n in the window's name field?
                Antwort an: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com

                > visits to their basement home-PC my own
                > memory timed out, it seems.

                This should read

                '... visits to their basement home-PC became so rare that my own
                memory timed out, it seems.'

                jftr,

                cheers,
                U.