MSG-3 (Meteosat 10) into service - Timetable for the Meteosat-8 and Meteosat-9 changes

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
      The start of MSG-3 parallel dissemination (EUMETCast-Europe users only) has
      been announced for 18 December 2012. In addition, EUMETSAT has finalized
      its planning for the forthcoming satellite relocations and service swaps.
      In January 2013 MSG-3 will take over the 0° service and be renamed
      Meteosat-10. To do this several spacecraft manoeuvres must be performed
      during January and February 2013. See:

      http://www.eumetsat.int/Home/Main/Satellites/SP_2012113011418367?l=en

      You may also like to keep an eye on the Weather Satellites Reports group for
      any changes or updates:

      My own software is already handling live pre-release versions of the new
      data, both here and at a couple of other sites. Please direct any questions
      about my software to the SatSignal Yahoo group:

      All this in addition to the extra data coming from the new polar orbiting
      satellite - Metop-B!

    • Ian Deans
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
        Thanks for the details -- most interesting.

        The change over to Met-9 for the Rapid Scan Service should improve things
        although not until March. The existing Met-8 service is now poor with the
        "shake" making AVI's of dubious benefit. I personally have stopped RSS for
        the time being -- just occasionally checking for improvement.

        Regards
        Ian.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
          That's interesting Ian. I keep rapid scan running most of the time and have found the periods of shaking sufficiently infrequent not to interfere with my use of the service. Perhaps I don't watch it enough?

          Robert