Flooding in West Africa

  • simon_rproud
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
      Hello all,I thought I'd share this:
      http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/WEBOPS/iotm/iotm/20121015_flood/20121015_floo\
      d.html <Hello all, I thought I'd share this:
      http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/WEBOPS/iotm/iotm/20121015_flood/20121015_floo\
      d.html A good example of how MSG data can be used without the need for
      very sophisticated processing - even just using raw SEVIRI data and your
      eyes can give lots of useful information. Aside from this and the ones
      linked at the bottom of the article (all in Africa) I think there's also
      been some similar studies done for Europe, although I suppose you need
      some BIG floods before SEVIRI can see them at high latitude!>
      A good example of how MSG data can be used without the need for very
      sophisticated processing - even just using raw SEVIRI data and your eyes
      can give lots of useful information. Aside from this and the ones linked
      at the bottom of the article (all in Africa) I think there's also been
      some similar studies done for Europe, although I suppose you need some
      BIG floods before SEVIRI can see them at high latitude!

    • Simon Proud
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
        Hmm, and a useful lesson in not using the 'rich text' editor in
        yahoo! Here's the original, with less confusing text:

        Hello all, I thought I'd share this:
        http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/WEBOPS/iotm/iotm/20121015_flood/20121015_flood.html

        A good example of how MSG data can be used without the need for very
        sophisticated processing - even just using raw SEVIRI data and your eyes
        can give lots of useful information.
        Aside from this and the ones linked at the bottom of the article (all in
        Africa) I think there's also been some similar studies done for Europe,
        although I suppose you need some BIG floods before SEVIRI can see them at
        high latitude!

        Cheers,
        Simon