New version of BUFRdisplay for NPP data, including Linux

  • fbreame
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2012
      For any BUFR enthusiasts, I now have a new version of BUFRdisplay available on my www site at www.elnath.org.uk (version 0.4.0).

      The main changes allow it to handle the new ATMS and CrIS NPP files from EUMETCast. They includes extensive updates to the BUFR tables, which hopefully will also allow it to handle a greater range of BUFR data.

      For the first time, I also have put up versions of it for Linux. I have developed it under Ubuntu 12.04, but I have not been able to test it under any other versions of Linux. I would therefore be very interested to lean if it will run on other Linux systems, and would be grateful for any feedback. There are 32- and 64-bit versions – the 32-bit version will not run under a 64-bit Linux, so you will need to use the correct one.

      If this is successful, I will shortly issue Linux versions of BUFEextract.

      Francis Breame
    • Ian Deans
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2012
        Francis,

        Many thanks for the update. The new NPP is displaying perfectly, but as it
        is coming in at times out of order, it is better to leave it for a few hours
        and then display it without gaps.
        I shall be checking other data as well, but at the moment I cannot spend
        much time on my hobby due to caring duties.

        Regards
        Ian.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2012
          The previous mail I sent should of course read ---- The new NPP sounder
          data is displaying perfectly etc. Telephone call interrupted preparation.

          Thanks
          Ian.
        • fbreame
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
            --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Deans" <iandeans142@...> wrote:

            > Francis,
            >
            > Many thanks for the update. The new NPP is displaying perfectly, but as it
            > is coming in at times out of order, it is better to leave it for a few hours
            > and then display it without gaps.
            > I shall be checking other data as well, but at the moment I cannot spend
            > much time on my hobby due to caring duties.
            >
            > Regards
            > Ian.

            Glad to hear that it's working, Ian. I apologise for the delay, but it's been a busy summer!

            Francis
          • Simon Proud
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2012
              Hello Francis,
              I just tested this on one of our linux systems (Ubuntu 11.10, 64bit) and
              unfortunately it does not run.I get an error stating that GLIBC_2.14 was
              not found. A quick google shows that this is because Ubuntu 12.04 uses an
              updated GLIBC that is not compatible with older distributions.
              Is there any way to remove or down-version that depedancy?

              Cheers,
              Simon

              On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM, fbreame <vf0123@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > For any BUFR enthusiasts, I now have a new version of BUFRdisplay
              > available on my www site at www.elnath.org.uk (version 0.4.0).
              >
              > The main changes allow it to handle the new ATMS and CrIS NPP files from
              > EUMETCast. They includes extensive updates to the BUFR tables, which
              > hopefully will also allow it to handle a greater range of BUFR data.
              >
              > For the first time, I also have put up versions of it for Linux. I have
              > developed it under Ubuntu 12.04, but I have not been able to test it under
              > any other versions of Linux. I would therefore be very interested to lean
              > if it will run on other Linux systems, and would be grateful for any
              > feedback. There are 32- and 64-bit versions � the 32-bit version will not
              > run under a 64-bit Linux, so you will need to use the correct one.
              >
              > If this is successful, I will shortly issue Linux versions of BUFEextract.
              >
              > Francis Breame

            • fbreame
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
                --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Simon Proud <simon.proud@...> wrote:

                > Hello Francis,
                > I just tested this on one of our linux systems (Ubuntu 11.10, 64bit) and
                > unfortunately it does not run.I get an error stating that GLIBC_2.14 was
                > not found. A quick google shows that this is because Ubuntu 12.04 uses an
                > updated GLIBC that is not compatible with older distributions.
                > Is there any way to remove or down-version that depedancy?
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Simon

                Thanks for the feedback, Simon - it's just what I was after, as I was afraid something like this would happen. I would like to try and work around this business of incompatible system libraries, having been bitten by it already. I've a few other jobs to finish first, but will have a look at it asap.

                By the way, if you are using the Windows version and wondered what happened to the 'Locations' button I put in for you earlier this year, it's now activated by a -l (ell) command line option. I felt that it might not be generally useful and might confuse things.

                Francis
              • Simon Proud
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
                  No worries, happy to help - linux compatibility is a major headache.
                  Today I tried the windows version (with -l) and it works great! Loads with
                  no problems and it works with the majority of BUFR files we produce, aside
                  from the NWC-SAF files that we talked about before.
                  FYI I list below the NWC-SAF files that work and don't work. Don't think
                  this is me asking for more stuff (!) but I thought you'd like to know, in
                  case anyone else asks about them:
                  AMA T-ridge: Works, displays data nicely.
                  AMA WV strip: displays message 'not supported BUFR format'
                  RDT: Program hangs on opening the file.
                  ASII IRAMV and WVAMV: Both load but simply show a lat/lon grid of points on
                  map generation. I think this is because it is 'location' data (lots of data
                  fields, one for each point) but each point is also a vector (with U + V
                  components). Saving to csv file works perfectly, though.

                  Thanks again for the work you've put in - we all really appreciate it here
                  in Copenhagen!
                  Hope you've enjoyed the weekend,
                  Simon