No network

  • tony_ei8jk
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
      Hi the group
      After an absence of several years I am trying to get my system up and running again.
      So far without success I hasten to add and was wondering if I am on the wrong satellite.
      I have loaded the new software and on "Transponder Status" I have Eurobird 9 with transponder 11977 MHz, symbol rate 27500, FEC 3/4 and horizontal pol.
      Without a final tweak I have sig quality of 50% and a SNR of 6.0
      My problem is that the Network box says "Acquiring" for a few seconds and then says "No Information" and no data and a yellow T

      Is it possible to get a signal on Hotbird using those parameters ?
      Or am I doing something wrong ?
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
        Hi the group
        After an absence of several years I am trying to get my system up and
        running again.
        So far without success I hasten to add and was wondering if I am on the
        wrong satellite.
        I have loaded the new software and on "Transponder Status" I have Eurobird 9
        with transponder 11977 MHz, symbol rate 27500, FEC 3/4 and horizontal pol.
        Without a final tweak I have sig quality of 50% and a SNR of 6.0
        My problem is that the Network box says "Acquiring" for a few seconds and
        then says "No Information" and no data and a yellow T

        Is it possible to get a signal on Hotbird using those parameters ?
        Or am I doing something wrong ?

        Tony,

        The parameters look correct, but are you sure the dish is correctly pointed?
        Have you set up the required PIDs? What receiver are you using? What
        operating system?

      • tony_ei8jk
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
          Hi David.

          No I'm not sure I have the dish correctly pointed, that was the gist my question ... is it possible to get an on screen signal strength with those parameters from Hotbird ?

          If you can, then I'm probably on Hotbird and need to play with the dish some more.
          If you can't then I can lock the dish and look for the problem indoors.

          73, Tony.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
            Hi David.

            No I'm not sure I have the dish correctly pointed, that was the gist my
            question ... is it possible to get an on screen signal strength with those
            parameters from Hotbird ?

            If you can, then I'm probably on Hotbird and need to play with the dish some
            more.
            If you can't then I can lock the dish and look for the problem indoors.

            73, Tony.
            =======================================

            With an 85 cm dish here in Scotland, and one I suspect isn't 100% correctly
            aligned, I get 65% quality and 8.5 dB (varying) SNR. That's on a SkyStar
            2.6D card on a Windows XP PC, 4.4.1 drivers. Signal strength graph here:

            http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-snr.php

            You may be nearer the edge of the footprint, and/or have a poorer alignment,
            and your figures don't then seem unreasonable. In southern England I would
            expect higher. Sometimes the network name does come up blank, so that's no
            indication. If you are using a DVB World USB box with 64-bit drivers, there
            are other issues which appear to allow video through but not data, hence my
            question about which receiver and operating system you have.

            73,
          • tony_ei8jk
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

              > Hi David.
              >
              > No I'm not sure I have the dish correctly pointed, that was the gist my
              > question ... is it possible to get an on screen signal strength with those
              > parameters from Hotbird ?
              >
              > If you can, then I'm probably on Hotbird and need to play with the dish some
              > more.
              > If you can't then I can lock the dish and look for the problem indoors.
              >
              > 73, Tony.
              > =======================================
              >
              > With an 85 cm dish here in Scotland, and one I suspect isn't 100% correctly
              > aligned, I get 65% quality and 8.5 dB (varying) SNR. That's on a SkyStar
              > 2.6D card on a Windows XP PC, 4.4.1 drivers. Signal strength graph here:
              >
              > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-snr.php
              >
              > You may be nearer the edge of the footprint, and/or have a poorer alignment,
              > and your figures don't then seem unreasonable. In southern England I would
              > expect higher. Sometimes the network name does come up blank, so that's no
              > indication. If you are using a DVB World USB box with 64-bit drivers, there
              > are other issues which appear to allow video through but not data, hence my
              > question about which receiver and operating system you have.
              >
              > 73,
              > David
              > --
              > SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
              > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
              > Email: david-taylor@...

              Sorry David, I didn't pose my question very well. I wondered if the signal strength/quality is derived from the digital stream as I note that the Hotbird digital stream on 11977 MHz is a different symbol rate & FEC.

              I have an 80cm dish to a Skystar 2 internal card and Eumetcast V4 software.
              PC is a 2.6 GHz Celeron running XP SP3 and I'm in IO51dn

              I haven't tried video as I didn't load the TV software, but I suppose that would immediately tell me which satellite I'm on. I'll maybe try that later.

              73, Tony
            • rob
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
                Tony,
                You mentioned Hotbird a few times. Please note that you need Eurobird,
                at 9 degrees east, not Hotbird! (Changed some years ago.
                Rob.

              • tony_ei8jk
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 11, 2012
                  Thanks Rob,
                  Yes I did know that, it's just that I think I'm on Hotbird but I can't find any sign of a signal just to the west of it but there is another strong signal to the east of it (Astra 19 deg?)
                  I have video now so I should find out tomorrow (no time to play tonight)
                  Tony.

                  --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, rob <sat@...> wrote:

                  > Tony,
                  > You mentioned Hotbird a few times. Please note that you need Eurobird,
                  > at 9 degrees east, not Hotbird! (Changed some years ago.
                  > Rob.
                • tony_ei8jk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 21, 2012
                    Just updating.
                    Debbie at Eumetsat read about my woes on this forum and realised I was using old software, so she sent me the latest version (without being asked, I was most impressed .. thanks Debbie)
                    Anyway, the updated software allowed me to get a mediocre intermittent signal from Eurobird 9 and noting that I am right on the edge of the footprint, I bought 110 cm dish to replace my 80 cm
                    I now have 65% signal and quality and my hard drive is filling up nicely.
                    As I want to run it over my network, tomorrow's job is to get Tellicast to save all the data in an accessible directory away from c:/program files.

                    Things have changed a lot since I was last active on Eumetcast hopefully my brain will soon catch up.

                    Tony, EI8JK