New tool for eumetcast config under Linux

  • Rob Alblas
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
      There is a new tool available which you can use to configure Eumetcast
      and select channels under Linux:
      ecast_cfg
      Especially handy if you want easy manual control over received channels,
      and to start/stop Eumetcast, as well as monitoring SNR, BER, data-rate
      at each PID etc.

      Tested with opera DVB-S1 USB-tuner, but it should work with other
      receivers too.

      For more information (including screenshots of the program) see:
      http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/ecast.html

      Note: For Windows there was already a channel selection tool called
      tqchansel:
      http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/soft_msgsup.html#windows

      Rob Alblas
    • ernstlobsiger
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2012
        Hello Rob

        Ecast looks like a very nice GUI tool to manage EUMETCast.
        Especially fine is the possibility to dynamically manage
        services. Looking at the multicast route statistics you
        could even find out the traffic in kB/s per service ...

        Installation might have some surprises as the EUMETCast CD
        normally sets up everything as SYSV init scripts. But people
        that want to setup an EUMETCast receiver under GNU/Linux
        should know what they do and how to sort things out ;-).

        Looking at the last screenshot at the bottom of

        http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/ecast.html

        should the top right "Channel" and "PID" not be reversed?

        Keep up your good work under GNU/Linux, but don't expect
        to much echos. The feedback to my homebrew GNU/Linux DDS
        receiver has been exactly zero so far. Maybe Windows 7/8
        will finally lead more users to the GNU/Linux community
        where experimenting is easily possible and IT thrill ...

        Cheers

        Ernst

        --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Rob Alblas <sat@...> wrote:

        > There is a new tool available which you can use to configure Eumetcast
        > and select channels under Linux:
        > ecast_cfg
        > Especially handy if you want easy manual control over received channels,
        > and to start/stop Eumetcast, as well as monitoring SNR, BER, data-rate
        > at each PID etc.
        >
        > Tested with opera DVB-S1 USB-tuner, but it should work with other
        > receivers too.
        >
        > For more information (including screenshots of the program) see:
        > http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/ecast.html
        >
        > Note: For Windows there was already a channel selection tool called
        > tqchansel:
        > http://www.alblas.demon.nl/wsat/software/soft_msgsup.html#windows
        >

        > Rob Alblas

      • Rob Alblas
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2012
          Hi, Ernst.

          I have corrected the column header; thanks for the comments.
          I don't expect much replies, but that doesn't stop me...;-)

          Cheers,
          Rob.