Re: After installing WINDOWS 7 I cannot install TechnSat Server4PC?

  • W_Guenzl
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
      --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "W_Guenzl" <wguenzl@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > due to substantial problems with my PC with WINDOWS XP I installed
      > completely again with WINDOWS-7.Therefore I have to install all
      > programs for the EUMETCast receipt again.

      Hi and a Successful New Year to all.

      In the meantime I installed everything in such a way on my PC with
      WINDOWS 7 that I can receive the satellite pictures again. I used
      the newest CD "EUMETCast Client Software Ver 5.6". Now I prepared
      MRTG. I copied B2status.zip from
      http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
      unziped it and copied b2status.exe to c:\Windows\System32\ .
      But if I call <b2status.exe -ti> I get the error message:

      "This application could not be started since the Side-by-Sides-
      Configuration is invalid."

      After copy VirtalC++RuntimeLibrary/V6SP3/msvcrt.dll from David Taylor
      to c:\Windows\System32\ the <b2status -ti> answered correct. But
      after a reboot TechnSat´s Server4PC was damaged and it no longer
      rans. So I installed it again, and David Taylor´s msvcrt.dll is away.

      Thanks for assistance in advance.
      Cheers,
      Werner.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
        > Hi and a Successful New Year to all.

        .. and to you, Werner.

        > In the meantime I installed everything in such a way on my PC with
        > WINDOWS 7 that I can receive the satellite pictures again. I used
        > the newest CD "EUMETCast Client Software Ver 5.6". Now I prepared
        > MRTG. I copied B2status.zip from
        > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
        > unziped it and copied b2status.exe to c:\Windows\System32\ .
        > But if I call <b2status.exe -ti> I get the error message:
        >
        > "This application could not be started since the Side-by-Sides-
        > Configuration is invalid."

        There is information on this error here:

        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/this-application-failed-to-start-because-side-by/7673bf12-87c2-48ca-b5ae-b8aa85e295dc

        > After copy VirtalC++RuntimeLibrary/V6SP3/msvcrt.dll from David Taylor
        > to c:\Windows\System32\ the <b2status -ti> answered correct.

        Those DLLs are intended for very old systems, and are not normally
        required. I have just strengthened the warning on the Web page about not
        using those DLLs any more.

        > But
        > after a reboot TechnSat´s Server4PC was damaged and it no longer
        > rans. So I installed it again, and David Taylor´s msvcrt.dll is away.
        >
        > Thanks for assistance in advance.
        > Cheers,
        > Werner.

        That it did not run does not surprise me, as the DLL is intended for older
        systems. I have two Windows-7 installations running TechniSat software
        and b2status.exe correctly. The versions are:

        Windows-7/32
        Driver version from Device Manager: 4.5.1.0
        b2status.exe - 28.672 bytes

        Windows-7/64
        Driver version from Device Manager: 4.5.1.0
        b2status.exe - 28.672 bytes

        Please be sure to use the correct version of b2status.exe. If you already
        are, then it may just be incompatible.

      • W_Guenzl
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

          > > Hi and a Successful New Year to all.
          >
          > .. and to you, Werner.
          >
          > > In the meantime I installed everything in such a way on my PC with
          > > WINDOWS 7 that I can receive the satellite pictures again. I used
          > > the newest CD "EUMETCast Client Software Ver 5.6". Now I prepared
          > > MRTG. I copied B2status.zip from
          > > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
          > > unziped it and copied b2status.exe to c:\Windows\System32\ .
          > > But if I call <b2status.exe -ti> I get the error message:
          > >
          > > "This application could not be started since the Side-by-Sides-
          > > Configuration is invalid."
          >
          > There is information on this error here:
          >
          > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-
          > sound/this-application-failed-to-start-because-side-by
          > /7673bf12-87c2-48ca-b5ae-b8aa85e295dc
          >
          > > After copy VirtalC++RuntimeLibrary/V6SP3/msvcrt.dll from David
          > > Taylor
          > > to c:\Windows\System32\ the <b2status -ti> answered correct.
          >
          > Those DLLs are intended for very old systems, and are not normally
          > required. I have just strengthened the warning on the Web page
          > about not
          > using those DLLs any more.
          >
          > > But
          > > after a reboot TechnSat´s Server4PC was damaged and it no longer
          > > rans. So I installed it again, and David Taylor´s msvcrt.dll is
          > > away.
          >
          > That it did not run does not surprise me, as the DLL is intended for older
          > systems. I have two Windows-7 installations running TechniSat software
          > and b2status.exe correctly. The versions are:
          >
          > Windows-7/32
          > Driver version from Device Manager: 4.5.1.0
          > b2status.exe - 28.672 bytes
          >
          > Windows-7/64
          > Driver version from Device Manager: 4.5.1.0
          > b2status.exe - 28.672 bytes
          >
          > Please be sure to use the correct version of b2status.exe. If you already
          > are, then it may just be incompatible.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > David
          > --
          > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
          > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
          > Email: david-taylor@...

          Thank you very much, David.

          I have Windows-7/32 and the TechniSat Driver 4.6.0.9999.

          But I have still another question for this:

          In your 2Bstatus.zip I found the folder V4.5.0 which is however empty.
          Where can I find the V4.5.1.0 quoted by you?

          Cheers,
          Werner.
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
            > Thank you very much, David.
            >
            > I have Windows-7/32 and the TechniSat Driver 4.6.0.9999.
            >
            > But I have still another question for this:
            >
            > In your 2Bstatus.zip I found the folder V4.5.0 which is however empty.
            > Where can I find the V4.5.1.0 quoted by you?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Werner.

            Werner,

            Looking at the file I believe to be on the Web site, the structure is:

            Top level:
            b2settuner.txt, retuneSkystar2.bat

            Directory: dvb-usb
            DVBreport.exe, DVBreport.txt

            Directory B2status\V4.3.0
            b2settuner.exe, b2status.exe (61.440 bytes)

            Directory B2status\V4.4.1
            b2settuner.exe, b2status.exe (28.672 bytes)

            Please try the download again in case you have an older version.

          • W_Guenzl
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

              > > Thank you very much, David.
              > >
              > > I have Windows-7/32 and the TechniSat Driver 4.6.0.9999.
              > >
              > > But I have still another question for this:
              > >
              > > In your 2Bstatus.zip I found the folder V4.5.0 which is however empty.
              > > Where can I find the V4.5.1.0 quoted by you?
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Werner.
              >
              > Werner,
              >
              > Looking at the file I believe to be on the Web site, the structure is:
              >
              > Top level:
              > b2settuner.txt, retuneSkystar2.bat
              >
              > Directory: dvb-usb
              > DVBreport.exe, DVBreport.txt
              >
              > Directory B2status\V4.3.0
              > b2settuner.exe, b2status.exe (61.440 bytes)
              >
              > Directory B2status\V4.4.1
              > b2settuner.exe, b2status.exe (28.672 bytes)
              >
              > Please try the download again in case you have an older version.

              This is what I already did: I called

              http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo

              here I downloaded B2status.zip
              unziped B2status.zip I get

              drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:05 ./
              drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:04 ../
              -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 3341 21. Jan 2007 b2settuner.txt
              drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:05 B2status/
              drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:05 dvb-usb/
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 133 13. Dez 2006 retuneSkystar2.bat

              <cd B2status/>
              drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:09 ./
              drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:05 ../
              drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 9. Nov 2008 V4.3.0/
              drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 30. Okt 2008 V4.4.1/
              drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 30. Okt 2008 V4.5.0/

              Here is V4.5.0 empty!

              I use V4.4.1/ with
              rwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:12 ./
              drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 3. Jan 18:09 ../
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 49152 10. Okt 2007 b2settuner.exe
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28672 10. Okt 2007 b2status.exe

              I copy b2status.exe to c:\windows\System32\
              and double click there on b2status.exe
              and the mentioned error message concerning "Side-by-Side-Confuguration
              appears.

              It's a great pity.

              Cheers,
              Werner.
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
                >> Please try the download again in case you have an older version.
                >
                > This is what I already did: I called
                >
                > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                >
                > here I downloaded B2status.zip
                > unziped B2status.zip I get
                []
                > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 30. Okt 2008 V4.5.0/
                >
                > Here is V4.5.0 empty!
                []
                > Cheers,
                > Werner.

                OK, Werner, that doesn't show up with WinZip, but it does when expanded
                under Windows. The directory should not be there. Sorry for the
                confusion.

                If that runtime DLL really does work, try creating a completely separate
                directory with the .EXE and the .DLL. Might work.

              • W_Guenzl
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
                  --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

                  > >> Please try the download again in case you have an older version.
                  > >
                  > > This is what I already did: I called
                  > >
                  > > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                  > >
                  > > here I downloaded B2status.zip
                  > > unziped B2status.zip I get
                  > []
                  > > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 30. Okt 2008 V4.5.0/
                  > >
                  > > Here is V4.5.0 empty!
                  > []
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Werner.
                  >
                  > OK, Werner, that doesn't show up with WinZip, but it does when expanded
                  > under Windows. The directory should not be there. Sorry for the
                  > confusion.
                  >
                  > If that runtime DLL really does work, try creating a completely separate
                  > directory with the .EXE and the .DLL. Might work.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > David

                  Hi David,

                  I called

                  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo

                  here I downloaded B2status.zip and copied to

                  c:\Tools\ raw, without unziping

                  Double click now on your original B2status.zip results
                  in
                  B2status Folder
                  dvb-usb Folder
                  b2tuner Textdocument
                  retuneSkystar2 Batchdatei

                  But these appear in no folder.

                  Nevertheless, a doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                  thereafter on 4.4.1 and finally on b2status results in in the
                  message that I have to extract first.

                  In C:\Tools\B2status\ now appeare these 2 folders and 2 files
                  see above. Doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                  thereafter on 4.4.1 and doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                  thereafter on 4.4.1 and finally on b2status resulted in the old
                  error message concerning the Side-by-Side-Configuration problem.

                  "I stand at the wall" we say in German, and I would much welcome
                  a step by step guidance with indication of the goal folders.

                  Cheers,
                  Werner.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 3, 2012
                    > Hi David,
                    >
                    > I called
                    >
                    > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                    >
                    > here I downloaded B2status.zip and copied to
                    >
                    > c:\Tools\ raw, without unziping
                    >
                    > Double click now on your original B2status.zip results
                    > in
                    > B2status Folder
                    > dvb-usb Folder
                    > b2tuner Textdocument
                    > retuneSkystar2 Batchdatei
                    >
                    > But these appear in no folder.
                    >
                    > Nevertheless, a doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                    > thereafter on 4.4.1 and finally on b2status results in in the
                    > message that I have to extract first.
                    >
                    > In C:\Tools\B2status\ now appeare these 2 folders and 2 files
                    > see above. Doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                    > thereafter on 4.4.1 and doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                    > thereafter on 4.4.1 and finally on b2status resulted in the old
                    > error message concerning the Side-by-Side-Configuration problem.
                    >
                    > "I stand at the wall" we say in German, and I would much welcome
                    > a step by step guidance with indication of the goal folders.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Werner.

                    Werner,

                    I have uploaded a new B2status.zip without the empty sub-directory, and I
                    hope that will remove any future confusion.

                    I note that on my Windows-7 systems, b2status.exe is copied only to the
                    \mrtg\bin\ directory, and not the Windows system directory. I will update
                    the Web page about this. I also note that the same 28.672 byte
                    B2status.exe file which is in my 4.4.1 sub-directory is also on the
                    EUMETCast supplied Skystar 4.6.0 installation.

                    I would remove any B2status.exe copies other than that in \MRTG\bin\ (and
                    the install directory if you have that on disk).

                  • W_Guenzl
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 4, 2012
                      --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

                      > > Hi David,
                      > >
                      > > I called
                      > >
                      > > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                      > >
                      > > here I downloaded B2status.zip and copied to
                      > >
                      > > c:\Tools\ raw, without unziping
                      > >
                      > > Double click now on your original B2status.zip results
                      > > in
                      > > B2status Folder
                      > > dvb-usb Folder
                      > > b2tuner Textdocument
                      > > retuneSkystar2 Batchdatei
                      > >
                      > > But these appear in no folder.
                      > >
                      > > Nevertheless, a doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                      > > thereafter on 4.4.1 and finally on b2status results in in the
                      > > message that I have to extract first.
                      > >
                      > > In C:\Tools\B2status\ now appeare these 2 folders and 2 files
                      > > see above. Doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                      > > thereafter on 4.4.1 and doubleclick on the developed folder B2status,
                      > > thereafter on 4.4.1 and finally on b2status resulted in the old
                      > > error message concerning the Side-by-Side-Configuration problem.
                      > >
                      > > "I stand at the wall" we say in German, and I would much welcome
                      > > a step by step guidance with indication of the goal folders.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Werner.
                      >
                      > Werner,
                      >
                      > I have uploaded a new B2status.zip without the empty sub-directory, and I
                      > hope that will remove any future confusion.
                      >
                      > I note that on my Windows-7 systems, b2status.exe is copied only to the
                      > \mrtg\bin\ directory, and not the Windows system directory. I will update
                      > the Web page about this. I also note that the same 28.672 byte
                      > B2status.exe file which is in my 4.4.1 sub-directory is also on the
                      > EUMETCast supplied Skystar 4.6.0 installation.
                      >
                      > I would remove any B2status.exe copies other than that in \MRTG\bin\ (and
                      > the install directory if you have that on disk).
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > David
                      > --
                      > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
                      > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                      > Email: david-taylor@...

                      David,

                      the B2Status.exe of your B2status.zip in
                      http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                      and that B2Status.exe in the EUMETCast Client Software
                      V 5.6 CD
                      /Windows/dvb-software/Skystar_4_6_0/Install/Components/
                      Bin/B2Status.exe
                      are identical.

                      Now I copied one of the two B2Status.exe to
                      c:\Tools\mrtg-2-17-3\bin\
                      and doubled-click on this.

                      The "Side-by-Side-Configuration"-Error appears again.

                      I mean that an "Microsoft Visual C++ (Service Pack 1)" is
                      missing to my weather PC with WINDOWS 7. And here I hang
                      firmly.

                      Hoch lebe Linux!

                      Cheers,
                      Werner.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 4, 2012
                        > David,
                        >
                        > the B2Status.exe of your B2status.zip in
                        > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                        > and that B2Status.exe in the EUMETCast Client Software
                        > V 5.6 CD
                        > /Windows/dvb-software/Skystar_4_6_0/Install/Components/
                        > Bin/B2Status.exe
                        > are identical.

                        That's good.

                        > Now I copied one of the two B2Status.exe to
                        > c:\Tools\mrtg-2-17-3\bin\
                        > and doubled-click on this.

                        It's a command-line program, not a GUI program. Try running it from a
                        command prompt. Please also check that you have no other instances of
                        B2status.exe present on you system.

                        > The "Side-by-Side-Configuration"-Error appears again.
                        >
                        > I mean that an "Microsoft Visual C++ (Service Pack 1)" is
                        > missing to my weather PC with WINDOWS 7. And here I hang
                        > firmly.
                        >
                        > Hoch lebe Linux!
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Werner.

                        Werner,

                        I have just checked, and on neither of the PCs where B2status.exe works
                        correctly is there any installation of "Microsoft Visual C++ (Service Pack
                        1)". I would recommend running Microsoft update to check that PC is
                        up-to-date. The program does use MSVCR80.DLL, so perhaps you have a
                        problematic copy of that DLL?

                      • W_Guenzl
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 4, 2012
                          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

                          > > David,
                          > >
                          > > the B2Status.exe of your B2status.zip in
                          > > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                          > > and that B2Status.exe in the EUMETCast Client Software
                          > > V 5.6 CD
                          > > /Windows/dvb-software/Skystar_4_6_0/Install/Components/
                          > > Bin/B2Status.exe are identical.
                          >
                          > That's good.
                          >
                          > > Now I copied one of the two B2Status.exe to
                          > > c:\Tools\mrtg-2-17-3\bin\
                          > > and doubled-click on this.
                          >
                          > It's a command-line program, not a GUI program. Try running it from a
                          > command prompt. Please also check that you have no other instances of
                          > B2status.exe present on you system.

                          I started it from command prompt but the "Side-by-Side-

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 4, 2012
                            > I started it from command prompt but the "Side-by-Side-
                            > Configuration"-Error appears again.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Werner.

                            Werner,

                            I see you had problem when first installing, so I would suggest starting
                            again with the installation, perhaps even getting the current CD from
                            EUMETSAT. Be sure to remove all previous versions completely. Perhaps
                            TechniSat can help with that?

                          • W_Guenzl
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 28, 2012
                              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "W_Guenzl" <wguenzl@...> wrote:

                              > In the meantime I installed everything in such a way on my PC with
                              > WINDOWS 7 that I can receive the satellite pictures again. I used
                              > the newest CD "EUMETCast Client Software Ver 5.6". Now I prepared
                              > MRTG. I copied B2status.zip from
                              > http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/Eumetcast.html#HowTo
                              > unziped it and copied b2status.exe to c:\Windows\System32\ .
                              > But if I call <b2status.exe -ti> I get the error message:
                              >
                              > "This application could not be started since the Side-by-Sides-
                              > Configuration is invalid."
                              >
                              > After copy VirtalC++RuntimeLibrary/V6SP3/msvcrt.dll from David Taylor
                              > to c:\Windows\System32\ the <b2status -ti> answered correct. But
                              > after a reboot TechnSat´s Server4PC was damaged and it no longer
                              > rans. So I installed it again, and David Taylor´s msvcrt.dll is
                              > away.

                              It was an long way to success:

                              First of all WINDOWS-7 is too restrictive for me. I re-exchanges to
                              WINDOWS-XP, now on both pcs.

                              Secondly -- and this was the central problem -- german versions
                              of MS-WINDOWS are missing vcredist_x86.exe. The helpdesk of EUMETSAT
                              said to me:

                              "Together with the Skystar software only the 2008 version is
                              installed.
                              However the Technotrend folder contains the 2005 version.
                              Please install [from the EUMETCast Ckient Software Ver 5.6]:
                              CD_v5_6_28-04-2011
                              \Windows\DVB-software\TechnoTrend_1.4.4.2\3rdParty\MFC8.0Runtime\
                              vcredist_x86.exe
                              and try to start b2status."

                              ... and now it runs. -- There I could have tried still many weeks
                              without success.

                              Best regards,
                              Werner.
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 28, 2012
                                >> After copy VirtalC++RuntimeLibrary/V6SP3/msvcrt.dll from David Taylor
                                >> to c:\Windows\System32\ the <b2status -ti> answered correct. But
                                >> after a reboot TechnSat´s Server4PC was damaged and it no longer
                                >> rans. So I installed it again, and David Taylor´s msvcrt.dll is
                                >> away.

                                Please note that you should /not/ be overwriting MSVCRT.dll without a very
                                good reason. My Web site carries the following warning in red text:

                                "Historic information only - under normal circumstances, there is no
                                need to download and install these libraries."

                                As the need has likely gone away now, I have removed the links to the
                                downloads themselves.

                                > It was an long way to success:
                                >
                                > First of all WINDOWS-7 is too restrictive for me. I re-exchanges to
                                > WINDOWS-XP, now on both pcs.

                                I would recommend this for a receive-only PC where there is no interactive
                                use. My programs and the TelliCast software work with any current Windows
                                version (XP, Vista, Win-7/32, Win-7/64)

                                > Secondly -- and this was the central problem -- german versions
                                > of MS-WINDOWS are missing vcredist_x86.exe. The helpdesk of EUMETSAT
                                > said to me:
                                >
                                > "Together with the Skystar software only the 2008 version is
                                > installed.
                                > However the Technotrend folder contains the 2005 version.
                                > Please install [from the EUMETCast Ckient Software Ver 5.6]:
                                > CD_v5_6_28-04-2011
                                > \Windows\DVB-software\TechnoTrend_1.4.4.2\3rdParty\MFC8.0Runtime\
                                > vcredist_x86.exe
                                > and try to start b2status."
                                >
                                > ... and now it runs. -- There I could have tried still many weeks
                                > without success.
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                > Werner.

                                I'm glad to hear that it's now working, Werner. Your persistence has paid
                                off.

                                vcredist_x86.exe is a set of runtime libraries required to support
                                Microsoft's Visual C. The programs which use those products should
                                install the runtimes when the products themselves are installed. There
                                are at least three versions of the libraries, for VC++ 2005, 2008 and
                                2010, all with different download locations. I will add this information
                                to my notes on b2status.exe.

                                I hope we will be able to add your data to that of other European
                                stations:

                                http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-europe.php