EUMETCast Missed Files at 08:30 UTC

  • ernstlobsiger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
      Dear all

      Since October 15th I get a bunch of missed files messages on
      my EUMETCast receivers. These are almost always at 08:30 UTC.
      You can check that for my receiver Europa at:

      http://212.117.122.202:83/statistics/

      I get the same messages on my combined EUMETCast/DDS receiver Io.
      Is it just me or is this wide spread over Europe? I do not see
      any special log entries in the GNU/Linux system below nor have I
      changed anything that could possibly interfere. I must admit that
      I didn't check whether the files are realy physically missing.

      Thanks for your help.

      Kind regards,
      Ernst
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
        > Dear all
        >
        > Since October 15th I get a bunch of missed files messages on
        > my EUMETCast receivers. These are almost always at 08:30 UTC.
        []
        > I get the same messages on my combined EUMETCast/DDS receiver Io.
        > Is it just me or is this wide spread over Europe? I do not see
        > any special log entries in the GNU/Linux system below nor have I
        > changed anything that could possibly interfere. I must admit that
        > I didn't check whether the files are realy physically missing.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Ernst

        Ernst,

        This is to be expected, as EUMETSAT are doing an automatic restart of the
        TelliCast system at 08:30 each day. The files are resent so no data is
        missed. This is a temporary measure while another software issue (which
        was causing data delays) is resolved.

      • ernstlobsiger
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
          David,

          Thank you for sheding some light on this. Sometimes
          things aint what they seem or used to be. It appears
          to me that EUMETCast has more problems now than in the
          first five months of 2011 when everything ran smooth.

          Cheers,
          Ernst

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2011
            > David,
            >
            > Thank you for sheding some light on this. Sometimes
            > things aint what they seem or used to be. It appears
            > to me that EUMETCast has more problems now than in the
            > first five months of 2011 when everything ran smooth.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Ernst

            Yes, I can but agree, Ernst. You will see that there is more data to
            come with new satellite launches, and the existing data is being
            compressed where possible to try and make room. EUMETCast is now working
            close to capacity than before, and this may be revealing problems which
            were previously insignificant. I know that the team are aware of the
            issues, and working with their suppliers to improve the situation.

            It's encouraging that with the present state, very little Meteosat data is
            lost - I think my last two daily reports have shown zero missing data.