Re: [MSG-1] New to Metop

  • Alan Sewards
    Message 1 of 74 , Feb 18, 2011
      Geoffrey,
      In case you are still having problems, I have put together a brief
      sequence of steps to follow to add Metop to an already existing MSG
      receiving system. You will find it below, if it is unclear don't
      hesitate to ask for clarification.
      Regarding your point about the computer, I don't think you need worry.
      My one-computer system is an old Sempron 3000 with 1GB RAM running
      Windows XP Pro and has been running with reboots and cleanouts for four
      years every day and night, except for short breaks. I receive MSG HRIT,
      FSD, and RSS to produce images for running with Animator, my main visual
      tool, run on another computer. I also run Metop Manager and AVHRR
      Manager on the same Sempron computer, to get the GAC, METOP and AVHRR
      imagery, which I manually select for special investigations. There is an
      80 GB HD for programs and usual stuff, and a 500 GB HD for imagery.
      There is a 127 MB RAMdisk.

      Receiving EUMETCAST METOP

      1. Arrange with EUMETSAT to receive the data (visit the portal)

      2. I assume you already have reception of MSG-2 and are getting the
      HRIT/FSD data using a receiver setup with an aerial pointed at the
      satellite at 9 degrees East (Eurobird 9) on the channel 'Media
      Broadcast'. Verify that this is correct.

      3. If not already set, add the PID 510 (decimal) in the Data Services.

      4. Edit recv-channels.ini to receive the METOP data stream by adding as
      follows:
      #METOP AVHRR data channel
      [EPS-10]
      target_directory=C:\received\EPS-10
      #use the path and directory name you have chosen for this data, and
      #create the directory

      5. Install METOP Manager. When it is installed, set it up:
      Under Setup, select the tabs File Controls; Global EPS METOP Data;
      AVHRR, and fill in the boxes for 'Tellicast METOP AVHRR global received
      files path' using the 'Browse' button to find and click on the directory
      you created in step 4; and 'Combined files path' which you will need if
      you want to use HRPT Reader to look at combined files. Also fill in the
      box 'EPS Global Files path', which can be anywhere but is usually put in
      a separate directory called 'EPS-Global' in the Images tree where the
      MSG Image data is stored.

      6. As soon as you edit recv-channels.ini and save it, the Tellicast
      software will start to put data in the received folder specified in 4
      above as the target_directory. You can look at this folder with the
      Windows Explorer and can see the files accumulating. They will not start
      to disappear until step 5 above is completed and Metop Manager is
      running, when it will access the data accumulating in the received
      folder and process it, deleting it from the received folder as it does so.

      Good luck!

      Best regards - Alan S

      On 17/02/2011 7:03 PM, Geoffrey Gee wrote:
      > Ian
      > Thanks again............ It has occurred to me that I may be tackling
      > this project in the wrong way. I had thought that I could trial Metop on
      > the same computer that I been running MSG DM etc before I had to
      > upgrade/replace it & register the programme. The existing computer is
      > not really man enough for the job although it is used for nothing else (
      > I have laptop for personal computing ). I had hoped to at least run a trial.
      >
      > Dell Dimension 2400 Pentium 4 . 2 Gb Ram. 80 Gb hard drive whiich is
      > less than half used.
      >
      > Am I wasting our time ?
      >
      > Regards ..................Geofffrey

      Alan Sewards
      email: alan@...
      web site: http://asewards.free.fr
    • Ulrich G. Kliegis
      Message 74 of 74 , Mar 24, 2011
        Von: "Geoffrey Gee" <geogee@...>
        Datum: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:56:21 -0000

        > Thank you again. I had quite forgotten about day and night !!!!!!!!!!

        Geoffrey,

        you are not the first and only who got trapped there. When the METOP
        service started, there were some similar questions, also in this list, iirc.

        But there is help: David's wxtrack program shows very nicely where 'they'
        just switched off the light. It's all a matter of time - and the appropriate
        software :)

        Cheers,
        U.