Re: [MSG-1] Help needed

  • Weather
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi,
      most problems are (usually) in order of "possibility":-
      Connections, obviously are the main source of problems, check for "hairs
      of the braid shorting to the inner inside the co-ax and that the
      inner core is not too small for the socket on the LNB, cheaper cables
      are sometimes too thin to make good contact, bend it slightly if this is
      a problem.

      Pointing errors, you are possibly on a side lobe of the satellite?
      Scan SLIGHTLY (+-5 deg) horizontally either side of the correct bearing
      to maximise signal level with zero skew.
      Repeat at the maximum but scan vertically. Go well off the satellite
      bearing to check you are on the correct lobe.
      Use the audio "beep" in the receiver setup.

      Then adjust skew for quality, BUT if you are using one of the new "Skew"
      dishes the LNB is not skewed the dish is! (refer to it's instructions)
      Check the LNB arm and fittings are correctly installed, have had bent
      dish arms not pointing at the dish focus and plastic housings that
      wobbled and pointed where the wind was! If in doubt leave horizontal
      till dish panned in.
      http://www.ehow.com/how_6503737_change-skew-dish.html

      Wrong satellite settings are a possibility as well.
      http://www.geo-web.org.uk/EUMETcast_service.html

      To check the system point it at Freesat and retune.
      http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

      Cheers
      David P
      ( :-? Beware heavy seagulls, yes they can bend the arm of a cheap sat dish!)

      > It is also worth mentioning that the USB box you are using is not
      > recommended for Eumetcast now as it is only USB1. Clearly if you
      > are restricting the data you take it will probably be OK but it is
      > possible that the box is the problem as it must be fairly old.
      > Technisat only sell USB boxes now for TV, but still sell the SkyStar
      > PCI card.
      >
      > Most people now if updating are using the DVBworld USB box which is
      > only available through GEO.
      >
      > Regards
      > Ian.

    • a_van_belle
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
        Hello Paul,

        Having Signal quality 0% means there is no signal.
        The signal strength values does show that your LNB does receiver power and is amplifying/generating noise. This does not mean the LNB is bad, all LNB s amplify and generate noise but normaly the received signal overpowers it.

        So make sure your dish is OK (feed arm in correct position, mounting fully stable) and use a satfinder to re-align.

        If your satfinder does not show peaks when rotation the dish, then it may be time for a new LNB.

        Greetings,
        Arne van Belle

        --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "paul5m" <paul@...> wrote:

        > I have been using MSG for some time
        > Yesterday it was working fine no problem
        > Today im getting no signal
        > I am using a windows 7 x64 PC nothings changed since yesterday
        > I am usng a Technisat Skystar USB box
        > The satellite icon is red the Tc-recv is yellow connecting
        > The status is showing signal strength 45%
        > while signal quality is 0% and red
        > the transponder settings are
        > transponder 11977
        > tuner frequency 1377
        > symbol rate 27500
        > fec 3/4
        > Polarity horizontal/left high
        > lnb 10600
        > lnb 22khz
        > network is no information
        >
        > I have tried tweeking the dish and have reached 50% signal strength but still no quality/lock
        >
        > Has the signal strength is 50% I would assume that the the LNB is Ok ?
        >
        > Any ideas ?

      • paul5m
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
          Hello Arne
          Thanks for your comments
          The dish is on a patio mount on top of the shed at the back of the house, the mount or dish does not appear to have been disturbed and all fixings where tight when I checked. The dish is a substantial model so no problem there. I used the satfinder and I do get peaks and troughs although the maximum does not seem to be as critical as I remember. If I was pointing at the wrong satellite would I still show the signal strength at 50% ?
          Thanks
          Paul

          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "a_van_belle" <a.van.belle@...> wrote:

          > Hello Paul,
          >
          > Having Signal quality 0% means there is no signal.
          > The signal strength values does show that your LNB does receiver power and is amplifying/generating noise. This does not mean the LNB is bad, all LNB s amplify and generate noise but normaly the received signal overpowers it.
          >
          > So make sure your dish is OK (feed arm in correct position, mounting fully stable) and use a satfinder to re-align.
          >
          > If your satfinder does not show peaks when rotation the dish, then it may be time for a new LNB.
          >
          > Greetings,
          > Arne van Belle
          >
          > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "paul5m" <paul@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been using MSG for some time
          > > Yesterday it was working fine no problem
          > > Today im getting no signal
          > > I am using a windows 7 x64 PC nothings changed since yesterday
          > > I am usng a Technisat Skystar USB box
          > > The satellite icon is red the Tc-recv is yellow connecting
          > > The status is showing signal strength 45%
          > > while signal quality is 0% and red
          > > the transponder settings are
          > > transponder 11977
          > > tuner frequency 1377
          > > symbol rate 27500
          > > fec 3/4
          > > Polarity horizontal/left high
          > > lnb 10600
          > > lnb 22khz
          > > network is no information
          > >
          > > I have tried tweeking the dish and have reached 50% signal strength but still no quality/lock
          > >
          > > Has the signal strength is 50% I would assume that the the LNB is Ok ?
          > >
          > > Any ideas ?

        • paul5m
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
            Thanks Ian for your comments
            I am not taking all the data and I havnt changed anything recently I am with GEO and will have a think about the new usb box, I have ordered a new LNB from GEO so will try this first.
            Thanks
            Paul

            --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Deans" <iandeans142@...> wrote:

            > It is also worth mentioning that the USB box you are using is not recommended for Eumetcast now as it is only USB1. Clearly if you
            > are restricting the data you take it will probably be OK but it is possible that the box is the problem as it must be fairly old.
            > Technisat only sell USB boxes now for TV, but still sell the SkyStar PCI card.
            >
            > Most people now if updating are using the DVBworld USB box which is only available through GEO.
            >
            > Regards
            > Ian.

          • paul5m
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
              Thanks David
              I seem to have had this sort of problem at this time of year before, when the cold nights start. In the past disconnecting and making sure the inner core is out of the connector far enough and then reconnecting has done the trick. You may well be right about the inner core being too thin for the socket. At the moment I am seeing a 50% signal strength so I would have expected the cable to be correctly connected.
              I have tried re pointing the dish and have increased the signal strength but I am on the the shed roof, theres nobody to look at the computer as I move the dish. Some relatives may be coming this weekend so I may try again then.
              The dish is well constructed and doesnt seem to have been disturbed. I have looked at the satellite settings and they seem ok, but windows 7 sometimes has a mind of its own.

              Thanks
              Paul

              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Weather <weather-oldtrout@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > most problems are (usually) in order of "possibility":-
              > Connections, obviously are the main source of problems, check for "hairs
              > of the braid shorting to the inner inside the co-ax and that the
              > inner core is not too small for the socket on the LNB, cheaper cables
              > are sometimes too thin to make good contact, bend it slightly if this is
              > a problem.
              >
              > Pointing errors, you are possibly on a side lobe of the satellite?
              > Scan SLIGHTLY (+-5 deg) horizontally either side of the correct bearing
              > to maximise signal level with zero skew.
              > Repeat at the maximum but scan vertically. Go well off the satellite
              > bearing to check you are on the correct lobe.
              > Use the audio "beep" in the receiver setup.
              >
              > Then adjust skew for quality, BUT if you are using one of the new "Skew"
              > dishes the LNB is not skewed the dish is! (refer to it's instructions)
              > Check the LNB arm and fittings are correctly installed, have had bent
              > dish arms not pointing at the dish focus and plastic housings that
              > wobbled and pointed where the wind was! If in doubt leave horizontal
              > till dish panned in.
              > http://www.ehow.com/how_6503737_change-skew-dish.html
              >
              > Wrong satellite settings are a possibility as well.
              > http://www.geo-web.org.uk/EUMETcast_service.html
              >
              > To check the system point it at Freesat and retune.
              > http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html
              >

              > Cheers
              > David P
              > ( :-? Beware heavy seagulls, yes they can bend the arm of a cheap sat dish!)
              >
              > > It is also worth mentioning that the USB box you are using is not
              > > recommended for Eumetcast now as it is only USB1. Clearly if you
              > > are restricting the data you take it will probably be OK but it is
              > > possible that the box is the problem as it must be fairly old.
              > > Technisat only sell USB boxes now for TV, but still sell the SkyStar
              > > PCI card.
              > >
              > > Most people now if updating are using the DVBworld USB box which is
              > > only available through GEO.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Ian.

            • a_van_belle
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2010
                Hello Paul,

                What signal strentgh values did you see before ?
                Signal strength does depend on your cable length and quality but with our consumer grade receivers this value can vary a lot.
                On some LNB/cable/receiver combination you may find 50 % signal strength even when the dish is not pointed at a satellite or locked to a transponder.

                Only signal quality does confirm reception of a transponder.
                The later Skystar drivers have an option to generate an alignment beep, you could extend this beep using two cell phones.

                But be careful as 11977 MHz Horizontal is also used by Sky Italy on hotbird 13 degrees.
                I normally locate the strongest satfinder readout East to South (Astra 19.2E) then rotate the dish slowly west. The second strongest peak is 13E, then rotate a bit further to find a third weaker peak and you have 9 East.

                If your peak is not as "sharp" as before, your LNB may be out of focus or the dish reflector is warped.
                If you see erratic movement on your satfinder than you may be troubled by interference from a nearby cellphone transmitter !
                Did you notice new masts around ?

                Good luck,
                Arne van Belle

                --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "paul5m" <paul@...> wrote:

                > Hello Arne
                > Thanks for your comments
                > The dish is on a patio mount on top of the shed at the back of the house, the mount or dish does not appear to have been disturbed and all fixings where tight when I checked. The dish is a substantial model so no problem there. I used the satfinder and I do get peaks and troughs although the maximum does not seem to be as critical as I remember. If I was pointing at the wrong satellite would I still show the signal strength at 50% ?
                > Thanks
                > Paul
                >
                > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "a_van_belle" <a.van.belle@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Paul,
                > >
                > > Having Signal quality 0% means there is no signal.
                > > The signal strength values does show that your LNB does receiver power and is amplifying/generating noise. This does not mean the LNB is bad, all LNB s amplify and generate noise but normaly the received signal overpowers it.
                > >
                > > So make sure your dish is OK (feed arm in correct position, mounting fully stable) and use a satfinder to re-align.
                > >
                > > If your satfinder does not show peaks when rotation the dish, then it may be time for a new LNB.
                > >
                > > Greetings,
                > > Arne van Belle
                > >
                > > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "paul5m" <paul@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have been using MSG for some time
                > > > Yesterday it was working fine no problem
                > > > Today im getting no signal
                > > > I am using a windows 7 x64 PC nothings changed since yesterday
                > > > I am usng a Technisat Skystar USB box
                > > > The satellite icon is red the Tc-recv is yellow connecting
                > > > The status is showing signal strength 45%
                > > > while signal quality is 0% and red
                > > > the transponder settings are
                > > > transponder 11977
                > > > tuner frequency 1377
                > > > symbol rate 27500
                > > > fec 3/4
                > > > Polarity horizontal/left high
                > > > lnb 10600
                > > > lnb 22khz
                > > > network is no information
                > > >
                > > > I have tried tweeking the dish and have reached 50% signal strength but still no quality/lock
                > > >
                > > > Has the signal strength is 50% I would assume that the the LNB is Ok ?
                > > >
                > > > Any ideas ?

              • paul5m
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2010
                  Hello Arne
                  I cant remember the signal strength numbers must be getting old, I do remember I was getting good reception with no errors and no dropouts.
                  Thanks for the advice on aligning the dish I will wait until the new LNB arrives before trying again
                  The dish is a well constructed model and shows no signs of any problem
                  The satfinder was giving a steady readout and I'm not aware of any new masts in the area. The local high ground already has enough aerials to fill a shop !

                • paul5m
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 8, 2010
                    Just to let everybody know whats happened.
                    I replaced the LNB but still no signal quality
                    So I have today replaced the receiver and success my system is up and running again.
                    Thanks to all that helped

                    Paul
                  • Weather
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 9, 2010
                      >Just to let everybody know whats happened.
                      >I replaced the LNB but still no signal quality
                      >So I have today replaced the receiver and success my system is up and
                      running again.
                      >Thanks to all that helped

                      Paul,
                      sometimes you have to fix it yourself for the pleasure it brings!

                      Cheers
                      David P
                    • a_van_belle
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 10, 2010
                        Hello Paul,

                        Sorry to hear your receiver was the problem, a new LNB would have been a cheaper fix !
                        Unfortunately you will only find out when replacing part by part.