Re: Chlorophyll data

  • a_van_belle
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
      To let MDM handle this data I have received files under:
      received\MSG\Data Channel 8
      Correct me if I am wrong.

      Greetings,
      Arne van Belle

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
        > To let MDM handle this data I have received files under:
        > received\MSG\Data Channel 8
        > Correct me if I am wrong.
        >
        > Greetings,
        > Arne van Belle

        Arne,

        All you need is to have the files in a sub-directory "Data Channel 8" of
        the path specified as the TelliCast received files location. So if that
        is specified in the MSG Data Manager as the full path to:

        received\MSG\

        then the program will look in the full path to:

        received\MSG\Data Channel 8

        for the chlorophyll data. Folders which are treated in the same way
        include:

        for MODIS Winds: Data Channel 4
        for Devcocast1: DEVCOCAST-1
        for DataChan8Files: Data Channel 8
        for DataChan10Files: Data Channel 10
        for DataChan11Files: Data Channel 11
        for DataChan12Files: Data Channel 12
        for AmericasChannel1Files: Americas-CH1

        Sub-directories which are also scanned, irrespective of any user
        selection:

        BMD-RA-VI
        DWDSAT

        73,
        Web: www.satsignal.eu
        Email: davidtaylor@...
      • Ian Deans
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
          David I certainly see that structure for DEVCOCAST-1 and Americas Channel 1,
          but the CMA data on Channel 11 does not need a sub-directory. My entry in
          recv-channels.ini simply shows " target_directory=received "

          The other channels listed I do not receive or are not yet available.

          Regards
          Ian.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
            > David I certainly see that structure for DEVCOCAST-1 and Americas
            > Channel 1,
            > but the CMA data on Channel 11 does not need a sub-directory. My entry
            > in
            > recv-channels.ini simply shows " target_directory=received "
            >
            > The other channels listed I do not receive or are not yet available.
            >
            > Regards
            > Ian.

            Happy New Year, Ian!

            It's more a question of discipline rather than need. I recommend that, as
            far as possible, you keep data out of the general \received\ directory,
            and the MSG Data Manager helps you do that. But only when "Manage channel
            11 data" is checked that the path:

            ...\received\Data Channel 11\

            is scanned, and so forth.

            Web: www.satsignal.eu
            Email: davidtaylor@...
          • a_van_belle
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
              You are correct David, I have received\MSG\ entered in "TelliCast received files location"
              If I remember correctly, this was needed before to prevent MDM also scanning the "Data channel 5" that is directly under received\ that holds the RSS data.
              For RSS I run a second MDM (renamed to MDM_RSS) on the same system.
              Based on your answer I think this extra subdir is not needed anymore.

              I also have the EPS data channels directly under received\

              I just discovered that somehow my AIDA-1 folder under received\MSG\ is not processed even though I have checked "manage AIDA-1 data" (V2.5.35.900). Moving it to received\ does not help.
              By the way, are there plans or possibilities to show this Modis Fire data as overlay on the Modis L1 viewer that is under development ?

              Greetings,
              Arne van Belle

              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
              > Arne,
              >
              > All you need is to have the files in a sub-directory "Data Channel 8" of
              > the path specified as the TelliCast received files location. So if that
              > is specified in the MSG Data Manager as the full path to:
              >
              > received\MSG\
              >
              > then the program will look in the full path to:
              >
              > received\MSG\Data Channel 8
              >
              > for the chlorophyll data. Folders which are treated in the same way
              > include:
              >
              > for MODIS Winds: Data Channel 4
              > for Devcocast1: DEVCOCAST-1
              > for DataChan8Files: Data Channel 8
              > for DataChan10Files: Data Channel 10
              > for DataChan11Files: Data Channel 11
              > for DataChan12Files: Data Channel 12
              > for AmericasChannel1Files: Americas-CH1
              >
              > Sub-directories which are also scanned, irrespective of any user
              > selection:
              >
              > BMD-RA-VI
              > DWDSAT
              >
              > 73,
              > David
              > --
              > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
              > Web: www.satsignal.eu
              > Email: davidtaylor@...

            • nicola sebastiani
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                David, Ian,

                I have experimented specifycing the full path for the "Other" channels (as David suggests) and the generic path "target_directory=received" (as Ian says)

                Both the solutions work well.

                Ciao
                Nicola

                Are you interested in Weather Satellite and Earth Observation for
                educational purposes?
                Please, visit ----------->> http://www.scsebnic.net

                >> To let MDM handle this data I have received files under:
                >> received\MSG\Data Channel 8
                >> Correct me if I am wrong.
                >>
                >> Greetings,
                >> Arne van Belle
                >
                > Arne,
                >
                > All you need is to have the files in a sub-directory "Data Channel 8" of
                > the path specified as the TelliCast received files location. So if that
                > is specified in the MSG Data Manager as the full path to:
                >
                > received\MSG\
                >
                > then the program will look in the full path to:
                >
                > received\MSG\Data Channel 8
                >
                > for the chlorophyll data. Folders which are treated in the same way
                > include:
                >
                > for MODIS Winds: Data Channel 4
                > for Devcocast1: DEVCOCAST-1
                > for DataChan8Files: Data Channel 8
                > for DataChan10Files: Data Channel 10
                > for DataChan11Files: Data Channel 11
                > for DataChan12Files: Data Channel 12
                > for AmericasChannel1Files: Americas-CH1
                >
                > Sub-directories which are also scanned, irrespective of any user
                > selection:
                >
                > BMD-RA-VI
                > DWDSAT
                >
                > 73,
                > David

              • nicola sebastiani
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                  David, Ian,

                  sorry, I have to be more precise:

                  I have experimented specifycing the full path for the "Other" channels (as David suggests) and the generic path "target_directory=received" limited to CMA and MODIS FIRE channel 12 (as Ian says)

                  Both the solutions work well.

                  Ciao
                  Nicola

                  Are you interested in Weather Satellite and Earth Observation for
                  educational purposes?
                  Please, visit ----------->> http://www.scsebnic.net

                  >> To let MDM handle this data I have received files under:
                  >> received\MSG\Data Channel 8
                  >> Correct me if I am wrong.
                  >>
                  >> Greetings,
                  >> Arne van Belle
                  >
                  > Arne,
                  >
                  > All you need is to have the files in a sub-directory "Data Channel 8" of
                  > the path specified as the TelliCast received files location. So if that
                  > is specified in the MSG Data Manager as the full path to:
                  >
                  > received\MSG\
                  >
                  > then the program will look in the full path to:
                  >
                  > received\MSG\Data Channel 8
                  >
                  > for the chlorophyll data. Folders which are treated in the same way
                  > include:
                  >
                  > for MODIS Winds: Data Channel 4
                  > for Devcocast1: DEVCOCAST-1
                  > for DataChan8Files: Data Channel 8
                  > for DataChan10Files: Data Channel 10
                  > for DataChan11Files: Data Channel 11
                  > for DataChan12Files: Data Channel 12
                  > for AmericasChannel1Files: Americas-CH1
                  >
                  > Sub-directories which are also scanned, irrespective of any user
                  > selection:
                  >
                  > BMD-RA-VI
                  > DWDSAT
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > David

                • Ian Deans
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Hello Nicola

                    I am fairly certain though that unlike Data Channel 11, Data Manager will
                    not deal with data from DEVCOCAST-1 or Americas Channel 1 unless the sub
                    directory is set-up in receive-channels.ini, irrespective of the settings in
                    Data Manager (Manage Channel X Data etc.)

                    I need to check this again however to be absolutely sure and as altering my
                    receive-channels.ini cause segment/chunk loss when Eumetcast is operational,
                    I will have a look at that later this evening when I shutdown.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                      > You are correct David, I have received\MSG\ entered in "TelliCast
                      > received files location"
                      > If I remember correctly, this was needed before to prevent MDM also
                      > scanning the "Data channel 5" that is directly under received\ that
                      > holds the RSS data.
                      > For RSS I run a second MDM (renamed to MDM_RSS) on the same system.
                      > Based on your answer I think this extra subdir is not needed anymore.
                      >
                      > I also have the EPS data channels directly under received\
                      >
                      > I just discovered that somehow my AIDA-1 folder under received\MSG\ is
                      > not processed even though I have checked "manage AIDA-1 data"
                      > (V2.5.35.900). Moving it to received\ does not help.
                      > By the way, are there plans or possibilities to show this Modis Fire
                      > data as overlay on the Modis L1 viewer that is under development ?
                      >

                      > Greetings,
                      > Arne van Belle

                      Arne,

                      For the EUMETSAT Rapid Scanning Service I have some recommendations here:

                      http://www.satsignal.eu/software/faq.htm#rss

                      which include using a separate, common directory for the Data Channel 5
                      and Data Channel 6 files, such as:

                      ...\received\RSS\

                      The current MSG Data Manager will not scan \Data Channel 5\ or \Data
                      Channel 6\.

                      For the MODIS fire data, I scan both \received\ and \Data Channel 12\, but
                      not \AIDA-1\. Yes, it's inconsistent, but so is the EUMETSAT channel
                      naming! You may need to wait few minutes before that data is checked, so
                      after moving it to \received\ it may take a few minutes to clear out.

                      I do already have a MODIS Fire Reader program, although it doesn't have a
                      Web page of its own. I converts the HDF data to text. Let me know if you
                      would like to try it out. It's full-world data, so doesn't really
                      integrate with the MODIS L1 Viewer.

                      Web: www.satsignal.eu
                      Email: davidtaylor@...
                    • a_van_belle
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                        Thanks David,

                        The AIDA-1 data is managed when put under "Data channel 12"
                        Guess I need to clean up a lot of these older settings !

                        I do have a PlotModisFires.exe from Feb 7 2009 but have not found time to manage all this new data !

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                          > Thanks David,
                          >
                          > The AIDA-1 data is managed when put under "Data channel 12"
                          > Guess I need to clean up a lot of these older settings !
                          >
                          > I do have a PlotModisFires.exe from Feb 7 2009 but have not found time
                          > to manage all this new data !
                          >
                          > Greetings,
                          > Arne van Belle

                          There's also a tool designed for automation:

                          ModisFireReader.exe

                          Web: www.satsignal.eu