Re: [MSG-1] Re: how to point dish

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
      >I am thinking about buying the mounting with two servo engines for
      elevation
      >and azimuth control. Maybe this could help me...

      Hello Kamil,

      I have been trying to keep out of this discussion as several members have
      offered (good) advice - and you can have too much to think about.
      But here goes!

      Firstly you certainly do not need to 'motorise' your dish - you will find
      EUOROBIRD-9A by hand.

      It seems you have a Satfinder meter so should be able to find Astra-1 [19.2
      E] and Hot Bird [13 E] regardless of what (Ku-band) channel your card is
      set to.
      Remember, your location is around 17 degrees E - unlike us in the UK around
      the 0 degree meridian so you must go to a dish pointing website which will
      tell you where to point your dish.
      Here in the UK the satellite is around where 'you would expect to see it'
      given its orbital position.
      So it makes pointing a bit easier.

      EB-9A in your location is around 34 degrees elevation.
      I guess you are using an offset dish so you need to take into account the
      'offset' of the LNB arm - you do not elevate the dish itself to 34 degrees.
      [Sorry if you already know this but if people are used to using prime focus
      dishes then offset dishes look incorrectly aligned - when they are
      correctly aligned.]

      As I said, a SatFinder meter will show Astra-1 and Hot Bird strongly - but
      unless your card is set to 11977 H 27500 the Satfinder WILL NOT indicate a
      signal as you pan across to EUROBIRD-9A!
      EUROBIRD-9A does not have the amount of output power that the other
      (combined satellite) locations have.
      Which is why the Satfinder doesn't indicate unless you're card is tuned to
      11977 H 27500 as Arne has pointed out.

      Unfortunately the Media Broadcast channel which transmits EUMETCast [11977
      H 27500 on EB-9A] no longer broadcasts colour bars and tone - I just
      noticed it did have a 'black frame' TV output though.

      If you end up on 11977 H 27500 on Hot Bird - you will see Sky Italia
      [encrypted] identified - so at least you will know you only have a few degrees
      to the W to pan to find EUROBIRD-9A.

      Sorry if this is yet more to think about.

      Regards,
      John.

    • terrymullen
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hi Kamil
        Just a couple more points on dish alignment: I use the dishpointer tool from here - http://www.smw.se/SMWLink.htm . You just need to put in your latitude & longitude as well as the satellite position, in this case 9 degrees. The program will give you the elevation angle and azimuth (bearing) to set the dish. You should be able to set and lock the elevation angle on the dish before you swing it to the azimuth angle. Check also that the pole it is mounted on is as near to perfectly vertical as you can get it, otherwise the elevation angle you set will be wrong!
        Good luck - let us know how you get on.
        Terry Mullen