MTSAT-1R

  • Ian Deans
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 2, 2009
      I think that the MTSAT-1R IR channel ( 10.8 ) has deteriorated a little and
      the image is a little washed out with loss of detail.

      Changing the image enhancement to " stretch " on the detailed image is just
      too much. There is of course no adjustment available to this image in the
      advance setting in Data Manager.

      Unfortunately the quality of the FY2C IR image is even worse ( blurred )
      making coverage of the area a little disappointing.

      Regards
      Ian.
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 2009
        > I think that the MTSAT-1R IR channel ( 10.8 ) has deteriorated a little
        > and
        > the image is a little washed out with loss of detail.
        >
        > Changing the image enhancement to " stretch " on the detailed image is
        > just
        > too much. There is of course no adjustment available to this image in
        > the
        > advance setting in Data Manager.
        >
        > Unfortunately the quality of the FY2C IR image is even worse ( blurred )
        > making coverage of the area a little disappointing.
        >
        > Regards
        > Ian

        Ian,

        There is no adjustment provided because the MTSAT-1R data is 8-bit data to
        start with, so by saving as PNG you would get /exactly/ what is sent out,
        and JPEG would be pretty close. The brightest levels should have these
        video-level / temperature-in-K values:

        240:=196.482
        241:=194.658
        242:=192.748
        243:=190.740
        244:=188.620
        245:=186.372
        246:=183.975
        247:=181.403
        248:=178.619
        249:=175.576
        250:=172.207
        251:=168.411
        252:=164.030
        253:=158.788
        254:=152.130
        255:=142.597

        I agree that the cyclone doesn't show up too well - that /may/ simply be
        an indication of just how low the cloud-top temperatures are. I haven't
        had chance to check.

        Web: www.satsignal.eu
        Email: davidtaylor@...
      • geojohnt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 2009
          iandeans142@... writes:

          I think that the MTSAT-1R IR channel ( 10.8 ) has deteriorated a little
          and
          the image is a little washed out with loss of detail.

          Changing the image enhancement to " stretch " on the detailed image is
          just
          too much.

          Ian,

          I agree but I use the LUTLandSea-zw which really brings out the cloud
          structure and detail.
          You can currently see a lot of cloud striations/tearing on both systems.

          OK the blacks can be a little OTT at times and the 'count' is the wrong way
          around - but detailed they are.

          Regards,
          John.

        • Ian Deans
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2009
            Yes I have to agree John that using LUTLandSea-zw does enhance the animation
            in particular the typhoons. Thanks for the tip.

            The MTSAT-1R IR full disc image is rather pale and washed out. In Detail
            Images ( Data Manager ) an image enhancement a little less severe than "
            stretch " might make an improvement and the setting could be added to MSG
            Animator.

            There is a lot of interesting weather to be seen in the MTSAT images so I
            personally view the data and animations frequently.

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 3, 2009
              > Yes I have to agree John that using LUTLandSea-zw does enhance the
              > animation
              > in particular the typhoons. Thanks for the tip.
              >
              > The MTSAT-1R IR full disc image is rather pale and washed out. In
              > Detail
              > Images ( Data Manager ) an image enhancement a little less severe than "
              > stretch " might make an improvement and the setting could be added to
              > MSG
              > Animator.
              >
              > There is a lot of interesting weather to be seen in the MTSAT images so
              > personally view the data and animations frequently.
              >
              > Regards
              > Ian.

              Folks,

              There is a selection of LUTs available from the user community here:

              http://www.satsignal.eu/software/geosatsignal.htm#Community

              or you can make your own given a basic image editing program.

              Web: www.satsignal.eu
              Email: davidtaylor@...
            • geojohnt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2009
                gm8arv@... writes:

                There is a selection of LUTs available from the user community here:

                http://www.satsignal.eu/software/geosatsignal.htm#Community

                David,

                Thanks for the reminder.

                Now, (a) are these just for MSG HRIT and (b) do you just unpack the files
                and put them into the folder containing the active MSG programme - and will
                they automatically be listed under Thermal LUT and Visible LUT tab?
                OK that's three.

                Regards,
                John.

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 11:54 AM
                  To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
                  []
                  > David,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the reminder.
                  >
                  > Now, (a) are these just for MSG HRIT and (b) do you just unpack the
                  > files
                  > and put them into the folder containing the active MSG programme - and
                  > will
                  > they automatically be listed under Thermal LUT and Visible LUT tab?
                  > OK that's three.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > John.

                  John,

                  I think that most of the programs can use most of the LUTs, and for the
                  MSG Data Manager the LUTs should apply to all the data, including the
                  foreign satellites, not just the MSG HRIT. Those LUTs designed
                  specifically for background mode operation (real thermal data superimposed
                  over a fixed Blue Marble visible image) will only work with programs
                  supporting the background mode operation, of course.

                  Yes, unpack the files from the Zip archive into the appropriate folders.

                  The list of available LUTs is read when the MSG Data Manager is started,
                  so if you add LUTs they would not be available on the right-click menu
                  until the MSG Data Manager was restarted.

                  My thanks to those who have shared their LUTs for us all to use.

                  BTW: this query would have been more on-topic in the SatSignal Yahoo
                  group.

                  Web: www.satsignal.eu
                  Email: davidtaylor@...
                • geojohnt@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 5, 2009
                    gm8arv@... writes:

                    Yes, unpack the files from the Zip archive into the appropriate folders.

                    The list of available LUTs is read when the MSG Data Manager is started,
                    so if you add LUTs they would not be available on the right-click menu
                    until the MSG Data Manager was restarted.

                    David,

                    Thanks for the operational information.

                    >BTW: this query would have been more on-topic in the SatSignal Yahoo
                    >group.

                    Indeed I agree, but this was (another) one of those occasions where an MSG
                    posting broadened out overlapping another groups remit?

                    Regards,
                    John.