Testbild

  • cyril3775
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
      This morning Thursday 3 sept I am not receiving any data and the test card is not being displayed.
      I have check this with both the DVDWorld and a Topfield sat receiver.
      Other commercial TV stations on Eurobird 9 are OK.

      Both receivers indicate a near good signal strength but with the Extended signal strength signal/audio on the Topfied the audio signal appers faulty.

      I hope that the above makes sense !!!

      Peter.

      Cornwall
    • Ian Deans
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
        Peter, the Testbild test card has not been available now for quite a few
        days. There had clearly been some problems with Eumetcast causing missing
        data and it is suspected that the uplink has been changed. This has
        resulted in a drop in Signal quality and the Testbild channel off air.

        I am using an old back-up XP computer today with a SkyStar card and a dodgy
        HD so I am very restricted. However even with the lower signal and no
        Testbild you should still be receiving data.

        Regards
        Ian.

      • geojohnt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
          iandeans142@... writes:

          the Testbild test card has not been available now for quite a few
          days. There had clearly been some problems with Eumetcast causing
          missing
          data and it is suspected that the uplink has been changed. This has
          resulted in a drop in Signal quality and the Testbild channel off air.

          Ian,

          I took this up with Ops the other day and am in continuing discussions
          with them.
          One thing to say - and was pointed out by Ops, is that the testbild TV
          channel was entirely under the control of the uplink supplier - Media and
          Broadcast(?).
          EUMETSAT merely send them the EUMETCast data to 'put onto' the satellite
          uplink feed.
          It appears they were not aware testbild had disappeared.

          Regards,
          John.

        • Ian Deans
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
            John, thanks for that confirmation. I was aware that the Testbild channel
            was nothing to do with Eumetsat, but I think its disappearance may be tied
            up to recent uplink issues and the likely uplink change to Eumetcast
            instigated by Media Broadcast.

          • geojohnt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3, 2009
              iandeans142@... writes:

              but I think its disappearance may be tied
              up to recent uplink issues and the likely uplink change to Eumetcast
              instigated by Media Broadcast.

              Ian,

              It's currently my understanding following recent exchanges with Ops that
              there hasn't actually been a change in the uplink - as such.
              And you have proved that the testbild channel was not active at 07:00 on
              the morning of the sudden level drop after 12:00 UTC.

              There was an upgrade on August 10 to the uplink server and there have been
              'problems on the RF side at Usingen last week' - quite what, I don't know.

              However, they are now aware of our indicated lower signal level from Friday
              and investigations are ongoing - as they say.

              Regards,
              John.

            • Ian Deans
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                I see on a satellite site that I keep an eye on, that the Testbild channel
                has been removed from the 11977 H transponder list. That suggests that it
                is more likely to be a permanent change.

                Not having a FTA channel on 11977 could be a nuisance.

                Regards
                Ian.
              • geojohnt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                  iandeans142@... writes:

                  I see on a satellite site that I keep an eye on, that the Testbild channel
                  has been removed from the 11977 H transponder list. That suggests that
                  it
                  is more likely to be a permanent change.

                  Ian,

                  A couple of things, it appears (to me from what I've heard) that EUMETSAT
                  might be after a bit more transponder bandwidth.

                  Also, they have no interest or use for the testbild channel and didn't know
                  it had disappeared - so couldn't answer my question 'will it eventually
                  reappear.'
                  So I've asked for a contact at Media Broadcast.

                  >Not having a FTA channel on 11977 could be a nuisance.

                  Indeed!
                  It was very useful and proved many times some peoples dishes were not
                  pointing at 9 E though there receivers might be correctly set for 11977 H.

                  Regards,
                  John.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                    Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 8:09 PM
                    To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
                    []
                    > Ian,
                    >
                    > A couple of things, it appears (to me from what I've heard) that
                    > EUMETSAT
                    > might be after a bit more transponder bandwidth.
                    >
                    > Also, they have no interest or use for the testbild channel and didn't
                    > know
                    > it had disappeared - so couldn't answer my question 'will it eventually
                    > reappear.'
                    > So I've asked for a contact at Media Broadcast.
                    >
                    >>Not having a FTA channel on 11977 could be a nuisance.
                    >
                    > Indeed!
                    > It was very useful and proved many times some peoples dishes were not
                    > pointing at 9 E though there receivers might be correctly set for 11977
                    > H.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > John

                    Why does a static image and audio tone take up so much bandwidth?

                    Agreed that it is a very handy check you are on the right satellite and
                    trasnponder - let's hope it comes back.

                    Web: www.satsignal.eu
                    Email: davidtaylor@...
                  • Alan Sewards
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                      Because television works on the principle that every frame is a new picture.

                      Best regards - Alan

                    • geojohnt@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                        gm8arv@... writes:

                        Why does a static image and audio tone take up so much bandwidth?

                        David,

                        I can't answer that.
                        But I'm sure someone out there could?

                        I would imagine static colour bars and tone required little bandwidth -
                        it'd detailed and or fast moving/changing picture content that 'takes up
                        space.'

                        Regards,
                        John.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 4, 2009
                          >> Why does a static image and audio tone take up so much bandwidth?
                          >>
                          >> Agreed that it is a very handy check you are on the right satellite and
                          >> trasnponder - let's hope it comes back.
                          >>
                          >> Cheers,
                          >> David

                          > Because television works on the principle that every frame is a new
                          > picture.
                          >
                          > Best regards - Alan

                          Is there not data compression? Otherwise the bit rates would be grossly
                          greater.

                          Web: www.satsignal.eu
                          Email: davidtaylor@...
                        • Alan Sewards
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                            Hello David,
                            Sorry for the smart-assed one-liner! In fact DVB uses MPEG-2
                            processing which adds compression and multiplexing to the TV data stream
                            to reduce throughput, but the channel has to be sized to accept the
                            highest rate that will occur, which is about 15 megabits/sec for
                            standard TV. So even if you have a test card up, the channel capacity
                            will be used even though the useful data rate is very low, because at
                            any moment the channel could switch to (say) a sport advertisement.

                            Best regards - Alan

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                              > Sorry for the smart-assed one-liner! In fact DVB uses MPEG-2
                              > processing which adds compression and multiplexing to the TV data stream
                              > to reduce throughput, but the channel has to be sized to accept the
                              > highest rate that will occur, which is about 15 megabits/sec for
                              > standard TV. So even if you have a test card up, the channel capacity
                              > will be used even though the useful data rate is very low, because at
                              > any moment the channel could switch to (say) a sport advertisement.
                              >
                              > Best regards - Alan

                              I remain unconvinced, Alan. At least, judging by DTT the broadcasters
                              have a choice of maximum channel bandwidth, and if it's too low you see
                              picture breakup on moving objects.

                              Web: www.satsignal.eu
                              Email: davidtaylor@...
                            • Painters
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 5, 2009
                                John,
                                the bandwith is now what you pay for!
                                (Don't confuse this with quality)

                                A single testcard and tone do not take any bandwidth really (500K ish)
                                but the transponder may be a 40Mb fixed bandwidth channel
                                filled with "stuffing packets" FFFF, these are padding you don't see,
                                you would be amazed how much overhead data is carried
                                on transport streams. It no longer has anything to do with picture frame
                                rates un-fortunately "Variable G.O.P" type systems now send one complete
                                "Key frame" about every 14ish frames (depends on type of programme and
                                bandwidth/quality you pay for) the rest is "change" information,
                                i.e the change in the frame that was last sent as a key-frame...Great
                                for digital "Head and shoulders TV!" (QVC etc...)

                                Most multiplexes now are "Stat -Mux's" or statistical data allocation,
                                the more the picture moves the more data you get allocated, and
                                the more tatty channels you can cram in!! (if you move too much and you
                                havent paid for the data bandwidth you picture goes to rats......) :-?

                                Cheers
                                David P

                                gone are the analogue

                                > gm8arv@... <mailto:gm8arv%40yahoo.co.uk> writes:
                                >
                                > Why does a static image and audio tone take up so much bandwidth?
                                >
                                > David,
                                >
                                > I can't answer that.
                                > But I'm sure someone out there could?
                                >
                                > I would imagine static colour bars and tone required little bandwidth -
                                > it'd detailed and or fast moving/changing picture content that 'takes up
                                > space.'
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > John.

                              • Ian Deans
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 16, 2009
                                  Although presently unable to check myself ( requires IP shutdown to scan ) I
                                  have reason to believe that the Testbild channel has returned to 11977 H on
                                  Eurobird 9A.

                                  Will update and check late evening.

                                  Regards
                                  Ian.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 16, 2009
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 16, 2009
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 16, 2009
                                        Ian,

                                        Following your earlier prompt, I see that the testbild is indeed back this
                                        evening.

                                        Regards,
                                        John.

                                      • Ian Deans
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                          Yes it is good news that it is available again, although I have been unable
                                          to get the channel after a transponder scan. I suspect a problem with the
                                          software as the scan window is not behaving as it should.

                                          Still wish something could be done about the Dextak box interfering with
                                          Windows Power Options. It is a major nuisance and in Windows 7 I suspect
                                          ( though not proven ) that the issues are a little more extensive with
                                          regard to Power setting interference. To be quite honest it is ridiculous
                                          that a piece of software is designed to do this. At least we found the
                                          answer about the boxes and Windows Media Player.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                            > Yes it is good news that it is available again, although I have been
                                            > unable
                                            > to get the channel after a transponder scan. I suspect a problem with
                                            > the
                                            > software as the scan window is not behaving as it should.

                                            I think I'm using the same hardware and software as you, Ian, and the
                                            testbild simply re-appeared. Clicking the Dexatek label (top left) I get:

                                            Dexatek 2.0 B02
                                            Copyright (C) 2004-2007
                                            SN: c04t03103-00-00-19-88-y11r02n07

                                            > Still wish something could be done about the Dextak box interfering with
                                            > Windows Power Options. It is a major nuisance and in Windows 7 I
                                            > suspect
                                            > ( though not proven ) that the issues are a little more extensive with
                                            > regard to Power setting interference. To be quite honest it is
                                            > ridiculous
                                            > that a piece of software is designed to do this. At least we found the
                                            > answer about the boxes and Windows Media Player.
                                            >
                                            > Regards
                                            > Ian.

                                            I'm unsure how it interferes - I have my screen set to go to the blank
                                            screen-saver after 19 minutes, and I think it does that OK. I have the
                                            high-performance Power Plan, with turn off display after 20 minutes, and
                                            Put Computer to Sleep - never. That's with Vista, and there are more
                                            settings in the Advanced option, of course.

                                            Web: www.satsignal.eu
                                            Email: davidtaylor@...
                                          • Douglas Deans
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                              > I'm unsure how it interferes - I have my screen set to go to the blank
                                              > screen-saver after 19 minutes, and I think it does that OK. I have the
                                              > high-performance Power Plan, with turn off display after 20 minutes, and
                                              > Put Computer to Sleep - never. That's with Vista, and there are more
                                              > settings in the Advanced option, of course.
                                              >
                                              > Cheers,
                                              > David

                                              The issue is only a nuisance for those not running 24/7.
                                              When you open DVB World it changes power settings (basically sets things to
                                              never). I have monitor usually set to 10 minutes for off.
                                              So you have to change this manually after loading DVB. Then when you close
                                              the program it changes it back to never again. However that does not mean
                                              it will change it to the correct setting when re-loaded.

                                              I do agree it is a real pain.

                                              Regards
                                              Douglas.
                                            • Ian Deans
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                                  > To be fair David, for those running 24/7 it is not a major issue, but
                                                  > for
                                                  > those of us not running overnight it is.

                                                  OK.

                                                  > The only setting that I use is to "turn off the display " which I have
                                                  > set
                                                  > to 10 minutes and the monitor goes into standby. I do not use screen
                                                  > saver
                                                  > as I have always felt that it is using valuable resources ( especially
                                                  > in a
                                                  > 1 computer system ).
                                                  > As soon as I shutdown the Dexatek box at night it changes the monitor
                                                  > from
                                                  > 10 minutes to 20 minutes ( and I suspect something else in Windows 7 )
                                                  > and
                                                  > in the morning the setting is changed to " never " when I open the
                                                  > Dexatek
                                                  > software.

                                                  I'm not sure if I've seen that. I boot that system so infrequently that I
                                                  might not notice. I've put a note physically near that system to remind
                                                  me to check.

                                                  > With Windows 7 I have also been getting an intermittent issue with the
                                                  > computer apparently " frozen " after the monitor comes out of standby.
                                                  > It
                                                  > lasts about 10/15 seconds but in that time I lose segments / chunks and
                                                  > anything else coming in.
                                                  > I do stress though that it is intermittent, although it appears to be
                                                  > very
                                                  > much worse after I close down Eumetcast late evening. I am still
                                                  > investigating but suspect the Dexatek Box is the problem.
                                                  >
                                                  > Regards
                                                  > Ian.

                                                  I haven't seen anything like that on Vista Ultimate - at least, I don't
                                                  recall so. On that same PC I have my aircraft radar display (Plane
                                                  Plotter) and frequently throughout the normal day I will waggle the mouse
                                                  on that PC to take a look at the traffic. Missed packets every time I did
                                                  that would show on the plot. That PC usually has some missed packets, but
                                                  the same number of recovered packets.
                                                  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/tellicast-gemini.html

                                                  Mind you, we all seem to have had a missed packets burst just after 07:00
                                                  UTC this morning:
                                                  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/EumetcastEurope_MissedPackets.html

                                                  > The issue is only a nuisance for those not running 24/7.
                                                  > When you open DVB World it changes power settings (basically sets things
                                                  > never). I have monitor usually set to 10 minutes for off.
                                                  > So you have to change this manually after loading DVB. Then when you
                                                  > close
                                                  > the program it changes it back to never again. However that does not
                                                  > mean
                                                  > it will change it to the correct setting when re-loaded.
                                                  >
                                                  > I do agree it is a real pain.
                                                  >
                                                  > Regards
                                                  > Douglas.

                                                  So it's not just the Dexatek software, but the DVB World software as well.
                                                  There are more recent versions which Arne has tested, so perhaps when he
                                                  gets time he can check if this still happens.

                                                  Web: www.satsignal.eu
                                                  Email: davidtaylor@...
                                                • geojohnt@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                                    gm8arv@... writes:

                                                    Mind you, we all seem to have had a missed packets burst just after 07:00
                                                    UTC this morning:
                                                    http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/EumetcastEurope_MissedPackets.html

                                                    David,

                                                    Ah, that would account for my current depleted RAMdisk capacity?

                                                    I had to reboot yesterday afternoon as I noticed - several hours on from
                                                    the last cycle - that my T was yellow and data had not been flowing for some
                                                    hours.
                                                    However, DVBWorld was green and receiving data.
                                                    I couldn't get T-Systems to re-open again without a reboot.

                                                    Regards,
                                                    John.

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                                      Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:51 PM
                                                      To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
                                                      []
                                                      > David,
                                                      >
                                                      > Ah, that would account for my current depleted RAMdisk capacity?
                                                      >
                                                      > I had to reboot yesterday afternoon as I noticed - several hours on from
                                                      > the last cycle - that my T was yellow and data had not been flowing for
                                                      > some
                                                      > hours.
                                                      > However, DVBWorld was green and receiving data.
                                                      > I couldn't get T-Systems to re-open again without a reboot.
                                                      >
                                                      > Regards,
                                                      > John.

                                                      Seems unlikely, John, unless you had just started and were still building
                                                      up the FSY files. On my 24 x 7 systems I have:

                                                      Feenix: MSG-2 + EARS-AVHRR + Metop AVHRR: 127MB RAMdisk, almost full
                                                      because of missed packets earlier this year, uptime: 96 days

                                                      Gemini: MSG-2 + EARS-AVHRR + Metop AVHRR: 127MB RAMdisk, 92MB used,
                                                      uptime: 8 days

                                                      Hydra: Everything except MSG-1: 250MB RAMdisk, fairly full, uptime: 17
                                                      days

                                                      Stamsund: MSG-1 + MSG-2, 150MB RAMdisk, 78MB used, uptime: 25 days

                                                      http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-fsy-size.php

                                                      Web: www.satsignal.eu
                                                      Email: davidtaylor@...
                                                    • Votan
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 17, 2009
                                                        This is an off topic message.

                                                        I was wondering if anyone here has experience in receiving NOAA TIP real
                                                        time data at 137.350 MHz or 137.770 MHz.

                                                        What kind of data (except housekeeping telemetry) can we get?

                                                        Thank you,

                                                        Votan