Choice of reception PC

  • terrymullen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
      Hi all
      I am currently trialling MSG DM on a single PC, 3GHz, XP, 1GB RAM. I am considering the purchase of a further PC for reception. This would be selected for minimal power consumption as it would be on 24/7. Possible candidates might be this selection from ebuyer
      http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=5&cat=191&ca35=Intel+Atom
      using a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, power rating 20 - 25 Watts.
      Has anyone any experience of such a machine? This would free up the current desktop for e.g. animator, geosatsignal & possibly METOP.
      Any thoughts on this?
    • Alan Banks
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
        Hi Terry,
        What you suggest seems very reasonable and there is no doubt the
        processor would do the job.
        The real issues appear to be memory and hard drive speed.
        1GB would probably be Ok but would go for two. To take Metop as well as
        MSG you will need to use some RAM as a Ram Drive.
        Personally I would want two physical hardrives one for system and one
        for Tellicast and received files.
        My two pennorth.
        Alan

        terrymullen wrote:
        > Hi all
        > I am currently trialling MSG DM on a single PC, 3GHz, XP, 1GB RAM. I am considering the purchase of a further PC for reception. This would be selected for minimal power consumption as it would be on 24/7. Possible candidates might be this selection from ebuyer
        > http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=5&cat=191&ca35=Intel+Atom
        > using a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, power rating 20 - 25 Watts.
        > Has anyone any experience of such a machine? This would free up the current desktop for e.g. animator, geosatsignal & possibly METOP.
        > Any thoughts on this?

      • terrymullen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
          Hi Alan, thanks for that. Extra hard drive(s) could easily be added externally. Ebuyer say that another 1G of RAM can be added but couldn't give me any details & said they couldn't supply it, so that's a bit of a mystery! Thanks again, Terry

          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Alan Banks <alan@...> wrote:

          > Hi Terry,
          > What you suggest seems very reasonable and there is no doubt the
          > processor would do the job.
          > The real issues appear to be memory and hard drive speed.
          > 1GB would probably be Ok but would go for two. To take Metop as well as
          > MSG you will need to use some RAM as a Ram Drive.
          > Personally I would want two physical hardrives one for system and one
          > for Tellicast and received files.
          > My two pennorth.
          > Alan
          >
          > terrymullen wrote:
          > > Hi all
          > > I am currently trialling MSG DM on a single PC, 3GHz, XP, 1GB RAM. I am considering the purchase of a further PC for reception. This would be selected for minimal power consumption as it would be on 24/7. Possible candidates might be this selection from ebuyer
          > > http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=5&cat=191&ca35=Intel+Atom
          > > using a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, power rating 20 - 25 Watts.
          > > Has anyone any experience of such a machine? This would free up the current desktop for e.g. animator, geosatsignal & possibly METOP.
          > > Any thoughts on this?

        • Alan Banks
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
            In terms of hard drives I'm thinking IDE or preferably today's standard
            SATA.
            External HDs tend to be USB. Others may advise better but I don't think
            these are fast enough. You can of course have external SATA drives.

            ALan

            terrymullen wrote:
            > Hi Alan, thanks for that. Extra hard drive(s) could easily be added externally. Ebuyer say that another 1G of RAM can be added but couldn't give me any details & said they couldn't supply it, so that's a bit of a mystery! Thanks again, Terry
            >
            > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Alan Banks <alan@...> wrote:
            >> Hi Terry,
            >> What you suggest seems very reasonable and there is no doubt the
            >> processor would do the job.
            >> The real issues appear to be memory and hard drive speed.
            >> 1GB would probably be Ok but would go for two. To take Metop as well as
            >> MSG you will need to use some RAM as a Ram Drive.
            >> Personally I would want two physical hardrives one for system and one
            >> for Tellicast and received files.
            >> My two pennorth.
            >> Alan
            >>
            >> terrymullen wrote:
            >>> Hi all
            >>> I am currently trialling MSG DM on a single PC, 3GHz, XP, 1GB RAM. I am considering the purchase of a further PC for reception. This would be selected for minimal power consumption as it would be on 24/7. Possible candidates might be this selection from ebuyer
            >>> http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=5&cat=191&ca35=Intel+Atom
            >>> using a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, power rating 20 - 25 Watts.
            >>> Has anyone any experience of such a machine? This would free up the current desktop for e.g. animator, geosatsignal & possibly METOP.
            >>> Any thoughts on this?

          • Alan Sewards
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
              Hi Terry,
              All good stuff, but note that an USB external hard drive runs at
              less than half the speed of a hard drive plugged into the IDE or SATA
              bus. In other words, OK for backups or keeping photos on, but not for
              serious storage like what is coming down from Eumetcast.

              Best of luck!

              Alan (S)