EUROBIRD-9 - 60 cm dish - SatFinder meter.

  • geojohnt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      All,

      Having borrowed our 60 cm rally dish from Francis [which has always given us
      good EUMETCast signals (split two ways) from Hot Bird] I ran some test from
      my location - SW London - yesterday evening.

      The dish measures 61 cm across and is 67 cm tall - it looks tiny next to my
      85 cm dish.
      I used an MTI Universal Golden Series 0.6dB LNB - which is nothing special
      and was cheap when I purchased it.
      Tests were done using a DVBWorld USB box.

      I can now confirm the TechniSat SatFinder meter that the GEO shop sells does
      indicate a good signal from EUROBIRD-9.
      The meter indicated a level of 80 for Hot Bird and a level of 62 for
      EUROBIRD-9 when the DVBWORLD box was 'tuned' to 11977 H on EUEOBIRD-9.
      The meter 'level readings' are just a comparison indication.

      On the DVBWorld USB box using the 60 cm dish the signal strength/quality
      readout figures were:

      Stength 50/51%
      Quality 82%

      I was quite surprised with these figures for such a small dish - but I would
      warn again about using dishes much smaller than the EUMETSAT recommended 85
      cm dish.
      The GEO 80 cm dish however does give very good signals.
      If you compare various manufacturers dish sizes they all seem to be
      different in their measurements width verses height for a particular stated 'size.'

      We have rain forecast today so it will be interesting to see how the small
      dish holds up.

      Regards,
      John Tellick.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        geojohnt@... wrote:
        []
        > On the DVBWorld USB box using the 60 cm dish the signal
        > strength/quality
        > readout figures were:
        >
        > Stength 50/51%
        > Quality 82%
        >
        > I was quite surprised with these figures for such a small dish - but
        > I would
        > warn again about using dishes much smaller than the EUMETSAT
        > recommended 85
        > cm dish.
        []
        > Regards,
        > John Tellick.

        Folks,

        I just tried a 35cm dish in Edinburgh, and with exceedingly critical
        alignment I could get Eurobird-9 with 70% strength and 52% quality
        (Dexatek readout). I'm not recommending that dish size, but I do think
        it's the first time anyone has reported getting Eurobird-9 on a dish that
        small. Didn't have a meter in-line.