Re: [MSG-1] Re: segment loss

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      Robert Moore wrote:
      > Alan, David, thanks for helpful comments - I have only had six lost
      > segments since 1130 this morning. So Met-9 operations almost normal
      > really. But about 10 chunks missing from METOP since then -- so
      > that's disappointing and not quite normal.
      >

      > Robert

      Robert,

      The Metop chunks are bigger files, taking longer to send, and therefore
      perhaps more likely to be disrupted. I would suggest making sure that
      your RAMdisk is actually in use, and of an adequate size, and seeing if
      there are any unexpected CPU, disk or network I/O loads on your PC.

    • Robert Moore
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        Not quite sure how to do this David. CPU usage on the Rx PC is
        running at about 0 to 8 per cent, but I have observed an occassional
        peak of 25 per cent. But this isn't the network I/O load - how do I
        check that?

        I'm assuming RAMdisk is working because it is in its normal state -
        75MB used and 15 MB free. Is there any way I can see the files
        passing through?

        Robert

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          Robert Moore wrote:
          > Not quite sure how to do this David. CPU usage on the Rx PC is
          > running at about 0 to 8 per cent, but I have observed an occassional
          > peak of 25 per cent. But this isn't the network I/O load - how do I
          > check that?
          >
          > I'm assuming RAMdisk is working because it is in its normal state -
          > 75MB used and 15 MB free. Is there any way I can see the files
          > passing through?
          >
          > Robert

          Robert,

          There is a Network tab on the Windows Task Manager, which may help.
          However, it's stuff which is /not/ TelliCast related that I'm wondering
          about. I might be tempted to increase the RAMdisk to 120MB if you have
          the free memory, but without really expecting it to produce better
          results. Yes, it does sound OK. Not quite sure what to suggest further -
          if it used to work OK, it should still work OK. Might be worth checking
          if there are unprocessed files in the TelliCast \received\ directory tree.

        • Robert Moore
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
            Interesting. A global search revealed nearly 7,000 01.bufr files that
            TrimTree had missed. The latter is set to clear everything over two
            days old from the whole /received folder tree. Deleting these bufr
            files really hammered the CPU. Will watch TrimTree too.
            Let's see what this deletion does and then at next power down I can
            enlarge the RAMdisk.
            Network Tab showed very low usage, even transferring bursts of
            Tellicast data only pushed it up to 10 per cent, otherwise running
            0.3 per cent.

            Thanks David

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
              Robert Moore wrote:
              > Interesting. A global search revealed nearly 7,000 01.bufr files that
              > TrimTree had missed. The latter is set to clear everything over two
              > days old from the whole /received folder tree. Deleting these bufr
              > files really hammered the CPU. Will watch TrimTree too.
              > Let's see what this deletion does and then at next power down I can
              > enlarge the RAMdisk.
              > Network Tab showed very low usage, even transferring bursts of
              > Tellicast data only pushed it up to 10 per cent, otherwise running
              > 0.3 per cent.
              >
              > Thanks David
              >
              > Robert

              The trouble is, Robert, that with all the new data coming online, often
              automatically, you can easily get swamped! I do try and keep my software
              up-to-date with the latest data, but I also work on the principle that if
              I don't recognise a file, I try not to touch it. Hence newer stuff may be
              left hanging about......

              Good luck with your monitoring.