Telicast help required

  • cooperstevenjohn
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi All,
      I am new to all this so I hope I have posted this in the correct
      section??.

      have just started rxing Eumetccast data using the DVB USB box from
      GEO (member), all is working ok BUT every now & again the "T" symbol
      just dissapears from the task bar which results in the MSG data
      manager locking up.
      Also when I attempt to shut down the PC it just locks up & I have to
      do a hard restart.
      have re-installed the key software as recomended but to no avail.
      System is working perfrectly otherwise.
      The Telicast LOG file at the time of "crash" has a few messgaes like"
      cannot connect to Child" or similar message.
      Any help appreciated.

      I have also deleted the [*] & assigned channels so as to not overload
      the PC.

      P4 3.8 Gig Proc 4 Gig RAM. XP

      Cheers
      SJ
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2008
        cooperstevenjohn wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I am new to all this so I hope I have posted this in the correct
        > section??.
        >
        > have just started rxing Eumetccast data using the DVB USB box from
        > GEO (member), all is working ok BUT every now & again the "T" symbol
        > just dissapears from the task bar which results in the MSG data
        > manager locking up.
        > Also when I attempt to shut down the PC it just locks up & I have to
        > do a hard restart.
        > have re-installed the key software as recomended but to no avail.
        > System is working perfrectly otherwise.
        > The Telicast LOG file at the time of "crash" has a few messgaes like"
        > cannot connect to Child" or similar message.
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > I have also deleted the [*] & assigned channels so as to not overload
        > the PC.
        >
        > P4 3.8 Gig Proc 4 Gig RAM. XP
        >
        > Cheers
        > SJ

        Welcome to the group, Steven!

        There does seem to have been a significant loss of signal earlier tonight
        from about 2200 UTC, possibly due to severe weather at the uplink station.
        Looks OK now, though.

        If it's not that, have you checked the trouble-shooting guide?

        http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/EUMETCast-trouble-shooting-guide.html

      • cooperstevenjohn
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
          >Hi David,

          Firstly, I think your software is fantastic, have also got
          Geosignalsat & am "getting into it"!. Will certainly be purchasing
          same soon.
          Now, ok about the outages etc, well this "problem" started from the
          initial installation ( about a week now)it appears as a random event
          ie. maybe ok for hours on some occassions or minutes on others??.
          The Telicast programme still seems to be running however ( I think??)
          as the mouse pointer still keeps changing to the hour glass.
          Yes, I've looked at the trouble shooting have done as it suggests by
          removing (disableing) un-necessary services etc.

          Any further idea's Dave??.

          Thanks for the reply.

          Steve.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
            cooperstevenjohn wrote:
            > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
            >> Hi David,

            []
            > Now, ok about the outages etc, well this "problem" started from the
            > initial installation ( about a week now)it appears as a random event
            > ie. maybe ok for hours on some occassions or minutes on others??.
            > The Telicast programme still seems to be running however ( I think??)
            > as the mouse pointer still keeps changing to the hour glass.
            > Yes, I've looked at the trouble shooting have done as it suggests by
            > removing (disableing) un-necessary services etc.
            >
            > Any further idea's Dave??.
            >
            > Thanks for the reply.
            >
            > Steve.

            Steve,

            I'm afraid I haven't seen the sort of problem you are describing.
            Intermittent events can be a real pain to diagnose. Could it be anything
            to do with heat, or an overloaded power supply in the PC? What colour is
            the T-icon just before and after the fault?

            The TelliCast software runs as two processes, one of which acts as a
            watchdog on the other process, and restarts it if required. "Cannot
            connect to child .." messages relate to that monitoring process.

            I hope your report triggers a memory for someone!

            Good luck,
          • cooperstevenjohn
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
              --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

              Hi Again David,

              Yes its a pain & is taking the edge of things a little, well the 2T"
              icon in the task bar is pink when we are running ok, I have no idea
              what colour it is when it goes wrong as I cannot see it & thats the
              problem.
              It did it again this morning after about 2 hours operating, trying to
              click on the programme icon again to restart it does nothing ?!
              atthat point I have to switch off at the mains to restart the PC.
              I have a hefty PSU 600Watts.

              at aloss to know what to do now.

              Cheers, Steve G3YTI

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
                cooperstevenjohn wrote:
                > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
                >>
                > Hi Again David,
                >
                > Yes its a pain & is taking the edge of things a little, well the 2T"
                > icon in the task bar is pink when we are running ok, I have no idea
                > what colour it is when it goes wrong as I cannot see it & thats the
                > problem.
                > It did it again this morning after about 2 hours operating, trying to
                > click on the programme icon again to restart it does nothing ?!
                > atthat point I have to switch off at the mains to restart the PC.
                > I have a hefty PSU 600Watts.
                >
                > at aloss to know what to do now.
                >
                > Cheers, Steve G3YTI

                Steve,

                I'm also struggling to know what this might be. You do know that Windows
                can move icons from the system tray even though the programs are still
                active? There is sometimes a little arrow icon at the left end of the
                tray you can click on to see all the icons. I expect you know this!

                I would try:

                - Using Windows Task Manager, Processes tab, when the program stops see if
                there are any processes left running tc-recv.exe, and what memory and CPU
                they are using.

                - If there are processes left, can you kill them?

                - If you can kill them, can you then restart TelliCast?

                - If you turn on full logging in TelliCast, are there any meaningful
                messages in the log file?

                As it sounds like a problem with the TelliCast software, why not contact
                EUMETSAT to see if they can help?

              • cooperstevenjohn
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
                  --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

                  Dave,
                  Thanks for the tip etc, I'll just have to sit here & keep an eye on
                  the "T" icon when things go wrong hi hi.

                  Yep, have contacted them for help.

                  Thanks de Steve G3YTI

                • James Brown
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
                    In message <g23i3m+gc6p@...>, cooperstevenjohn
                    <cooperstevenjohn@...> writes
                    >--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >Dave,
                    >Thanks for the tip etc, I'll just have to sit here & keep an eye on
                    >the "T" icon when things go wrong hi hi.

                    I wonder if you have tried monitoring one of the other satellite feeds -
                    a TV channel e.g. Does this also result in a locked situation? Also what
                    are the SNR and BER figures etc in the sat status panel of the green
                    icon? Just a thought. I'm not familiar with how the USB box handles
                    network addresses, but the other possibility is surely in the MB/USB
                    area. There have AFAIK been one or two combinations that have not worked
                    well.

                    All the best for the solution.

                    James
                    --
                    James Brown
                  • Alan Banks
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
                      David & Steve
                      There is a bug in Win XP that can cause icons to disappear or not.
                      In 'My Network Places' there should be a small pane top left 'Network Tasks'
                      one task is 'show/hide icons for networked UPnP devices'
                      If devices are shown this can cause icons in the system tray to disappear.
                      Problem sometimes but not always solved by hiding icons.
                      Cheers
                      Alan

                      David J Taylor wrote:
                      > Steve,
                      >
                      > ............. You do know that Windows
                      > can move icons from the system tray even though the programs are still
                      > active?

                    • a_van_belle
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2008
                        Hello Steve and others,

                        I have heard of a similar problem before but cannot find it on this list.
                        I recommend to monitor your *.fsy file(s) and see if they get to
                        large. When this file reaches its limit, Tellicast will shutdown and
                        try to restart. Are there any errors listed before the child message ?

                        Another cause could be XPs powersaving features, your PC (win)dozes
                        off when Eumetcast is not seen as activity.
                        Try to set powersavings to "always full on"

                        Windows may hide inactive icons in the tray but they should re-appear
                        when you unmark "Hide inactive icons" under "Taskbar and Start Menu
                        Properties".

                        To test your hardware for long term stability you could run Prime95 or
                        BurnIntest (30 day trial) for at least 3 hours to see if it locks up
                        under load.

                        Greetings,
                        Arne van Belle

                        --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Alan Banks <alan@...> wrote:

                        > David & Steve
                        > There is a bug in Win XP that can cause icons to disappear or not.
                        > In 'My Network Places' there should be a small pane top left
                        'Network Tasks'
                        > one task is 'show/hide icons for networked UPnP devices'
                        > If devices are shown this can cause icons in the system tray to
                        disappear.
                        > Problem sometimes but not always solved by hiding icons.
                        > Cheers
                        > Alan
                        >
                        > David J Taylor wrote:
                        > > Steve,
                        > >
                        > > ............. You do know that Windows
                        > > can move icons from the system tray even though the programs are
                        still
                        > > active?

                      • cooperstevenjohn
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
                          --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "a_van_belle" <a.van.belle@...> wrote:
                          >Hi Arne & James ,

                          Thanks for all the good advice etc, I have been doing some "testing"
                          if you can call it that, I noted that when the "T" icon dissapears
                          from the task bar when attempt to go into the EToken properties
                          windows cannot "see" it & returns the usual " programme not
                          responding" message. I actually sat here & staired at the darn'd "T"
                          icon until it went off the task bar, it did not change from pink at
                          any time & I monitored the etoken red light that never went off
                          either.

                          As of the present time its now down to minutes then off it goes &
                          locks everything up!.

                          regards to all de Steve

                          Eumetsat are looking into it for me however.
                          > Hello Steve and others,

                          > I have heard of a similar problem before but cannot find it on this
                          list.
                          > I recommend to monitor your *.fsy file(s) and see if they get to
                          > large. When this file reaches its limit, Tellicast will shutdown and
                          > try to restart. Are there any errors listed before the child
                          message ?

                          > Another cause could be XPs powersaving features, your PC (win)dozes
                          > off when Eumetcast is not seen as activity.
                          > Try to set powersavings to "always full on"
                          >
                          > Windows may hide inactive icons in the tray but they should re-
                          appear
                          > when you unmark "Hide inactive icons" under "Taskbar and Start Menu
                          > Properties".
                          >
                          > To test your hardware for long term stability you could run Prime95
                          or
                          > BurnIntest (30 day trial) for at least 3 hours to see if it locks up
                          > under load.
                          >
                          > Greetings,
                          > Arne van Belle
                          >
                          > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, Alan Banks <alan@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > David & Steve
                          > > There is a bug in Win XP that can cause icons to disappear or not.
                          > > In 'My Network Places' there should be a small pane top left
                          > 'Network Tasks'
                          > > one task is 'show/hide icons for networked UPnP devices'
                          > > If devices are shown this can cause icons in the system tray to
                          > disappear.
                          > > Problem sometimes but not always solved by hiding icons.
                          > > Cheers
                          > > Alan
                          > >
                          > > David J Taylor wrote:
                          > > > Steve,
                          > > >
                          > > > ............. You do know that Windows
                          > > > can move icons from the system tray even though the programs are
                          > still
                          > > > active?

                        • cooperstevenjohn
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
                            --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "cooperstevenjohn"
                            <cooperstevenjohn@...> wrote:

                            Hi All,
                            The recv.ini file is now showing the following "statements"

                            "EToken transaction Timed out" & "Critical dongal error"

                            Does not mean a lot to me but this would appear to have some bearing
                            on this problem!!.

                            Comments??

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
                              cooperstevenjohn wrote:
                              > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "cooperstevenjohn"
                              > <cooperstevenjohn@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              > Hi All,
                              > The recv.ini file is now showing the following "statements"
                              >
                              > "EToken transaction Timed out" & "Critical dongal error"
                              >
                              > Does not mean a lot to me but this would appear to have some bearing
                              > on this problem!!.
                              >
                              > Comments??

                              Steve,

                              Your eToken may be faulty or incorrectly installed. Be sure to keep it
                              plugged into the same USB port after a successful installation.

                            • a_van_belle
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 4, 2008
                                Steve,

                                An easy way to rule out any Etoken problem is running with the generic
                                username without Etoken.
                                See troubleshooting guide B1.1 on
                                http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/EUMETCast-trouble-shooting-guide.html

                                I still guess you have system/USB problem because over here Tellicast
                                keeps on running even when I remove the Etoken.

                                I suggest you switch Tellicast logging to "verbose" then wait for it
                                to crash again and then send me (or Eumetsat) your zipped recv.log.

                                Good luck,
                                Arne van Belle

                                --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:
                                > Steve,
                                >
                                > Your eToken may be faulty or incorrectly installed. Be sure to keep it
                                > plugged into the same USB port after a successful installation.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > David
                                > --
                                > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
                                > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                                > Email: davidtaylor@...
                              • cooperstevenjohn
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                                  --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "a_van_belle" <a.van.belle@...> wrote:

                                  Hi Arne,

                                  Yes, have already sent it to Eumetsat, I did indeed set the
                                  attributes to verbose & thats when I saw the bits about critical
                                  dongle error & timed out notices.

                                  I will try the generic profile as you say & see what happens.

                                  Cheers & thanks for the reply.
                                  Steve
                                  > Steve,
                                  >
                                  > An easy way to rule out any Etoken problem is running with the
                                  generic
                                  > username without Etoken.
                                  > See troubleshooting guide B1.1 on
                                  > http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/EUMETCast-trouble-shooting-
                                  guide.html

                                  > I still guess you have system/USB problem because over here
                                  Tellicast
                                  > keeps on running even when I remove the Etoken.
                                  >
                                  > I suggest you switch Tellicast logging to "verbose" then wait for
                                  it
                                  > to crash again and then send me (or Eumetsat) your zipped recv.log.
                                  >
                                  > Good luck,
                                  > Arne van Belle
                                  >

                                  > --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@> wrote:
                                  > > Steve,
                                  > >
                                  > > Your eToken may be faulty or incorrectly installed. Be sure to
                                  keep it
                                  > > plugged into the same USB port after a successful installation.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cheers,
                                  > > David
                                  > > --
                                  > > SatSignal software - quality software written to your requirements
                                  > > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
                                  > > Email: davidtaylor@

                                • cooperstevenjohn
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 5, 2008
                                    --- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "cooperstevenjohn"
                                    <cooperstevenjohn@...> wrote:

                                    Hi All,

                                    Well with fingers crossed (& everything else !!} it looks like the
                                    guys at Eumetsat have hit on the problem, they think the problem is a
                                    USB conflict & told me to plug the DVB rx into another USB port.

                                    This I have done & the system has been running now for 4 hours
                                    without crashing, this must be one for the archives I guess !!.

                                    Thanks to all responders for their help/advice in this matter.
                                    I can now start to learn about the software hi hi.

                                    Cheers All.

                                    Steve