S Corp, full time motorcoach, residence change

  • stephenipc
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 11:02 AM
      Hi,

      My wife and I live and work full time in a 40' Bluebird Wanderlodge
      (Bus RV). We have been full time RVers for 18 months. We have no
      other residence, we live only in the motorhome.

      We are both in our mid 30's, no dependents. We have our own S
      Corporation that we work for, one part-time employee (no benefits).
      The business is a "work at home" over the internet business (I author
      software, my wife does support). The motorhome has nothing to do
      with the business, we just have it as the freedom of modern cell
      phones allows us to work many places. So we try to travel when we
      have time, most of the time we park and live in it like one would a
      small house.

      Our corporation and "official address" is in Washington (Seattle
      Area). However, we are considering moving our official residence and
      business to Arizona (project to fully research later in the year).

      We have had full coverage for 18 months paying COBRA rates. That
      expires today, so we are looking for options.

      We only want "major medical" and so far a MSA looks like something to
      consider. We have no pre-existing conditions, and we are very light
      users of medical coverage (I suspect we used only $800 last year as
      an example).

      We don't know where to start and are anxious to get a policy
      started. If we get in a MSA, is moving states going to cause us
      problems? Can someone recommend a plan that offers good nationwide
      coverage, as we do live full time "on the road".

      Thanks for any and all info, suggestions on where to purchase /
      enroll, etc.

      Thank you.
    • Edward Sealy
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 11:43 AM
        I have several RVers as clients and it is not a big problem these days. All mine are members of the Escapees Club in Livingston, TX that serves as forwarding agents for mail and allows your legal domicile to be Texas, and thus covered with a Texas policy for health, auto, voter registration, etc. There are probably other similar clubs or affiliates in AZ. Think you will find AZ health insurance rates and availability superior than Oregon, judging from other emails in this regard. Or if you end up signing up with Escapees in Texas, I would be happy to become your agent. With email it is easy to stay in touch no matter where you happen to be parked.

        With an individual MSA policy it won't matter what the legal location of your business charter is, just where you claim "home" state.

        I would recommend an MSA plan from John Alden or Fortis as they are as "national" a company as you will find and offer PHCS which is a national PPO network. You might wish to consider buying a short term medical policy to provide protection while you are shopping and applying for the long term plan as it can easily take 30-60 days to complete that process. You can do the short term for 30 days at a time for up to 6 months. Its good basic coverage. On-line info and application: www.johnaldenstm.com

        You might want to consider buying a "Wings of Life" policy in addition to your health plan that pays for medical air transport from wherever you are to your "home" city, which you can change as you wish. This policy also pays for a friend or professional driver to get your RV to wherever you went for medical treatment. Can fill you in on this one too.

        I am not licensed to sell policies in AZ, but I can run a quote for you. Contact me directly to discuss further. Also, there are other agents on this Board who are licensed in AZ, and I am sure you will hear from them.

        Ed Sealy