DC Snow Team Asks...

  • Twine, Kevin (DPW)
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2013

      DC Snow Team Asks…

      “Have You Organized Your Neighborhood Snow Shoveling Team?”

      The DC Snow Team (Department of Public Works and Department of Transportation) is asking residents to reach out to their neighbors to organize snow shoveling teams to clear sidewalks after it snows.  The District requires property owners (residential and commercial) to clear the sidewalks surrounding their property within 24 hours after a snowfall.

      “While our last two winters produced less than four inches of snow between them, we do remember the winter of 2009-2010,” said DPW Director William O. Howland, Jr.  “Anyone who endured two back-to-back blizzards in February 2010 knows that having help shoveling snow makes the job a lot easier than doing it alone.”

      Director Howland noted that Serve DC – The Mayor’s Office on Volunteerism, , along with the Office on Aging and the Department of Disability Services, is organizing teams to help elderly and disabled residents with clearing their sidewalks of snow and ice.

      Serve DC Executive Director Jeffrey D. Richardson, MSW, said, “We are excited to mobilize residents to leverage the power of service and volunteerism to meet this community need. Volunteers across the District will check on their assigned neighbors, provide assistance and report back to us. We’ll also be prepared to respond to spontaneous requests for those with critical needs.”

      “Even a dusting of snow can be too much for elderly or disabled residents to shovel,” said DDOT Director Terry Bellamy.  “That’s why we are asking you to volunteer your services and make winter a little easier on everyone.”

      Throughout the winter, Director Howland asks everyone to keep up with the weather forecast.  “Sometimes, all that is needed to keep a sidewalk clear is pre-treating it with a deicer, rock salt or non-clumping kitty litter before snow begins to fall,” he said.

      Kevin B. Twine

      Staff Assistant

      Office Of The Director

      Department of Public Works