Arrest Made in Cold Case Homicide which occurred in 1984: 3300 Block of 6th Street, SE

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5 9:58 AM

      Contact: Saray Leon (202)727-4383

      November 5, 2013

      Arrest Made in Cold Case Homicide which occurred in 1984:

      3300 Block of 6th Street, SE

      (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, Cold Case Unit, announced an arrest has been made in a 1984 cold case homicide which occurred in the 3300 block of 6th Street, SE.

      On Sunday, January 1, 1984, at approximately 6:29 am, officers from the Seventh District responded to a call for an unconscious female inside of the 3300 block of 6th Street, Southeast.  Upon arrival, they located an adult female that appeared to have been the victim of a sexual assault and stabbing.  The victim showed no signs consistent with life and was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for a determination of cause and manner of death.

      On the same day, an autopsy was conducted and ruled the cause of death to be multiple stab wounds and the manner homicide.

      The decedent is identified as 43-year-old Rachel Cox of Southeast, DC.

      On Monday, November 4, 2013, after a comprehensive investigation by members of the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, Cold Case/Major Case Unit, and with the assistance of the Bode Technology Group, the District of Columbia’s Department of Forensic Sciences, and the United States Attorney’s Office, an arrest warrant was obtained.  On Tuesday, November 5, 2013, members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force located and arrested 55-year-old Joe Anthony Barber of Woodbridge, Virginia. He has been charged with First Degree Felony Murder in the death of Ms. Rachel Cox.

      ###

      What would you like to see in the renovated Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library?

      Share your thoughts on the library's spaces and services at DC Public Library’s online idea community at dclibrary.ideascale.com

    • La Shawn Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5 10:16 AM
        This is so awesome great Job to everyone start to finish

        La Shawn Williams

        "To be my best, is not to complain about my worst, and to look forward to greater"

[...]

      • B. J. Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6 5:45 AM
          This is so good.  Makes me feel like someone is actually working to solve the murder of my grandson Kevin Marquette Russell on September 29, 2008. He was shot and died before reaching the hospital. He was killed near his home at Minnesota Avenue and N St SE.

          Keep up the good work and find Kevin's killer. He was only seventeen years old - the youngest son of a youngest son of a youngest son.

          Cordially,

           B. J.

          B. J. Jones

          Smart is the Woman I Am...
          St. Peter is my Driving Partner
          It's Best to Be Thought a Fool than to Open Your Mouth & Prove It

          Experience First-Hand What It's Like to Live Where I Live

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6 6:49 AM
            Outstanding job detectives, 7D and all MPD involved! Thanks for never giving up on victims of violence/sexual assault! I'm sure the family is forever grateful!

            "Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals."
            Martin Luther King, Jr.