11368Office of People"s Counsel Winter Weather Advisory
- Dec 9, 2013
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the Washington Metropolitan area in effect from 3:00 a.m. through 2 p.m.,Tuesday, December 10th. The potential impact of the impending winter storm is heavy wet snow and sleet, which could lead to power outages and difficult driving conditions. OPC would like to remind consumers of the following safety tips in the event you experience a power outage.
What You Can Do
- Do not assume that Pepco is aware of an outage or a neighbor has called to report an outage. Pepco needs to hear from every affected customer to help locate problem areas. Call Pepco's 24-hour outage report line - 1-877-PEPCO-62 (1-877-737-2662). If you cannot use your home phone, follow the phone prompts and make sure Pepco has a working phone number where you can be reached about service restoration.
- Check on elderly and at-risk friends and family to make sure they have access to plenty of water, a telephone and food.
Storm Preparation Tips
- Set your refrigerator to a maximum cold setting and keep it closed, in the event of a loss of power.
- Gather blankets, sleeping bags, battery-powered radios and flashlights. Candles are not recommended as they pose a serious fire hazard.
- Fill vehicles with gas.
- Get extra cash in case you are unable to gain access to a bank.
- Fill prescriptions, especially those used on a daily basis or needed in emergency situations.
- Ensure you have at least a 3-day, preferably a 7-day supply of water, non-perishable food and baby supplies, such as formula and diapers.
- Get a fully stocked first aid kit
- Protect electric equipment. Unplug sensitive electronics. Plug computers and other sensitive equipment into surge protectors. Consider an uninterruptible power supply for temporary battery backup power.
Keep the Following Numbers Handy:
- D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency Hotline (202) 727-6161--to request assistance with emergency shelter or report a hazardous condition.
- Pepco Safety Emergency (202) 872-3432-to report wires down
- Pepco Claims Office (202) 872-2455-- to request a form for electric service related damages
- OPC (202) 727-3071-to obtain any information or assistance
Lendia Sue Johnson
Community Outreach Coordinator
Metropolitan Police Department
2455 Alabama Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20020
(202) 698-1454 office
(202) 439-5475 cell
(202) 645-0020 fax
Look out for those in need this winter. When the temperature or wind chill is 32°F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. For assistance during an Alert, call the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311.