RE: [MPD-5D] action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street

  • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
      Thanks for the E-mail. Lt. Hughes has assigned Sgt. Damon Brown as the lead official for that nuisance property. Our next PSA 502 meeting will be on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 2601 18th St. NE at 7:30 p.m. This item will be one of the problem solving items at that meeting. I have already been in touch with Investigator Dedrick at DCRA, who will be handling the case on their end. I'll be contacting him to see if he can attend the meeting as well.

      Captain Patrick A. Burke
      Fifth District, MPDC
      Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

      Office: 202 727-4488
      Pager: 888 523-7099
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
        This is great to hear that police and DCRA will be addressing the
        problems at those apartment buildings. I'll be at the PSA meeting!
        Jen

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
        <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
        > Thanks for the E-mail. Lt. Hughes has assigned Sgt. Damon Brown
        as the lead official for that nuisance property. Our next PSA 502
        meeting will be on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 2601 18th St. NE at
        7:30 p.m. This item will be one of the problem solving items at
        that meeting. I have already been in touch with Investigator
        Dedrick at DCRA, who will be handling the case on their end. I'll
        be contacting him to see if he can attend the meeting as well.

        > Captain Patrick A. Burke
        > Fifth District, MPDC
        > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
        >
        > Office: 202 727-4488
        > Pager: 888 523-7099

      • k_fw
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 7, 2005
          Thanks for writing back. I will definitely be at that meeting.
        • k_fw
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 21, 2005
            I was at the last PSA meeting and heard a bit about Sgt. Damon
            Brown's action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street.

            Is there anyway we can get this plan posted here?

            One aspect was more patrols as well as dedicated officers watching
            over Shirl's mattress store and the apartment buildings. I also
            heard that an apartment will be used for the police to do some
            paperwork, etc.
            I'm hoping to get a time-line for when we can expect these things. I
            saw someone moving out this weekend and am hoping the police will be
            moving in soon!

            Thanks,
            Kristen
          • Amber King
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 21, 2005
              Hi all,
              I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras in bad areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think cameras at the bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around schools would surely be helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and cutting down on criminal activity in general. Is this legal in this city and has there been any chatter about this?
              thanks!
              amber
            • isearched
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 22, 2005
                Hi all,

                This kind of monitoring where the traffic cameras are located can be
                done right now. The website I use is www.trafficland.com. Try clicking
                on the button for the "DC" traffic cameras and locate the one at 18th
                and Rhode Island. At this time of day (10:55 am) you can see Rhode
                Island Traffic going east. You can also see Hamlin Street in front of
                the Woodridge Library and the motel that rents rooms by the hour,
                across the street. Individuals and police can both monitor the
                prostitution that goes on in that area without any additional measures
                being taken. As I've mentioned in a previous post the prostitution at
                this location tends to filter into the residential areas north and
                south of Rhode Island. Civic and ANC groups have talked about
                installing cameras in Langdon Park but I haven't see any action taken
                on that, yet.

                Also note that the traffic camera at 18th and Rhode Island is not a
                red light camera. This is good because it's hard turning onto 18th
                Street from Rhode Island Avenue without going through a yellow to red
                light.

                -Tim Greene

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Amber King" <aking@v...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                > I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras
                in bad areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think
                cameras at the bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around
                schools would surely be helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and
                cutting down on criminal activity in general. Is this legal in this
                city and has there been any chatter about this?
                > thanks!
                > amber
              • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                  This kind of monitoring where the traffic cameras are located can be
                  done right now. The website I use is www.trafficland.com. Try clicking
                  on the button for the "DC" traffic cameras and locate the one at 18th
                  and Rhode Island. At this time of day (10:55 am) you can see Rhode
                  Island Traffic going east. You can also see Hamlin Street in front of
                  the Woodridge Library and the motel that rents rooms by the hour,
                  across the street. Individuals and police can both monitor the
                  prostitution that goes on in that area without any additional measures
                  being taken. As I've mentioned in a previous post the prostitution at
                  this location tends to filter into the residential areas north and
                  south of Rhode Island. Civic and ANC groups have talked about
                  installing cameras in Langdon Park but I haven't see any action taken
                  on that, yet.

                  Also note that the traffic camera at 18th and Rhode Island is not a
                  red light camera. This is good because it's hard turning onto 18th
                  Street from Rhode Island Avenue without going through a yellow to red
                  light.

                  -Tim Greene

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Amber King" <aking@v...> wrote:
                  > Hi all,
                  > I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras
                  in bad areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think
                  cameras at the bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around
                  schools would surely be helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and
                  cutting down on criminal activity in general. Is this legal in this
                  city and has there been any chatter about this?
                  > thanks!
                  > amber

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                    I was at the last PSA meeting and heard a bit about Sgt. Damon
                    Brown's action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street.

                    Is there anyway we can get this plan posted here?

                    One aspect was more patrols as well as dedicated officers watching
                    over Shirl's mattress store and the apartment buildings. I also
                    heard that an apartment will be used for the police to do some
                    paperwork, etc.
                    I'm hoping to get a time-line for when we can expect these things. I
                    saw someone moving out this weekend and am hoping the police will be
                    moving in soon!

                    Thanks,
                    Kristen

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Craig, Donald (MPD)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
                      The ACLU is in court actively opposing any placement of cameras for the purpose of deterring crime.  They feel it provides too much of an opportunity for law enforcement to invade someone's privacy.  They started it when we placed the cameras to deal with the IMF protests.

                      Lt. Craig

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
                        Suppose the residents of DC just started putting up web cameras to watch
                        over their homes. If a crime occured, could we submit the footage to the
                        police to be used? Is it illegal for a citizen to film, even if it's
                        purpose is to deter crime?

                        I can imagine this issue goes pretty deep and I'm sure the ACLU is coming up
                        with all sorts of excuses. It's my belief that if the local hoodlums and
                        criminals new someone was watching they might think twice before committing
                        the crime. Although probably they would just move somewhere without a
                        camera

                        I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras in bad
                        areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think cameras at the
                        bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around schools would surely be
                        helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and cutting down on criminal
                        activity in general. Is this legal in this city and has there been any
                        chatter about this?
                        thanks!
                        amber

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      • James T. Engelhardt
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
                          Check out this book:

                          1984
                          by George Orwell.

                          Of course it shows an extreme example of cameras as a
                          totalitarian tool, but it's an important 20th Century
                          novel and an entertaining read. I recommend it.

                          Also, I don't think the ACLU's position is that
                          unreasonable, especially in light of the slippery
                          slope illustrated in the novel.

                          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                        • isearched
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
                            Hi all,

                            This ACLU opposition has been going on for a couple of years.

                            Read DC Watch's article entitled: "Nkechi Taifa, American Civil
                            Liberties Union of the National Capital Area Testimony on Video
                            Technology in Police Surveillance and Traffic Control" for June 13,
                            2002 at

                            http://www.dcwatch.com/issues/privacy12.htm

                            Also read the article "Surveillance Cameras Everywhere!" at

                            http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20Govern
                            ment/Police%20State/surveillance_cameras_everywhere.htm

                            With the technology available together, it would be inexcusable for us
                            to suffer through another terrorist attack. Let's face facts: the
                            September 11th terrorist attacks caught us with our pants down.

                            -Tim Greene

                            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald (MPD)"
                            <Donald.Craig@d...> wrote:
                            > The ACLU is in court actively opposing any placement of cameras for
                            the purpose of deterring crime. They feel it provides too much of an
                            opportunity for law enforcement to invade someone's privacy. They
                            started it when we placed the cameras to deal with the IMF protests.

                            > Lt. Craig

                          • Peter Pawlowski
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 25, 2005

                              Citizens have the right to place cameras on their [property to view public space and they can offer police the use of their space to view anything that is in plain sight.  The courts already ruled on this issue when the EPA flew an airplane over a Dupont factory and photographed toxic waste.  The ACLU will not succeed.

                              Peter

                              ----Original Message Follows---- From: "Pete Tuttle" <dairyqween@...> Reply-To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:11:30 -0500 Suppose the residents of DC just started putting up web cameras to watch over their homes. If a crime occured, could we submit the footage to the police to be used? Is it illegal for a citizen to film, even if it's purpose is to deter crime? I can imagine this issue goes pretty deep and I'm sure the ACLU is coming up with all sorts of excuses. It's my belief that if the local hoodlums and criminals new someone was watching they might think twice before committing the crime. Although probably they would just move somewhere without a camera From: "Craig, Donald (MPD)" <Donald.Craig@...> Reply-To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:43:14 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Originating-IP: 164.82.148.99 X-Sender: donald.craig@... Received: from n4a.bulk.scd.yahoo.com ([66.94.237.38]) by mc1-f36.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:36:59 -0800 Received: from [66.218.66.59] by n4.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:37 -0000 Received: from [66.218.67.199] by mailer8.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:37 -0000 Received: (qmail 55795 invoked from network); 24 Mar 2005 10:36:34 -0000 Received: from unknown (66.218.66.218) by m6.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:34 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO smtp22.dc.gov) (164.82.148.99) by mta3.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:34 -0000 Received: from dc.gov ([10.201.25.70]) by smtp22.dc.gov with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:36:28 -0500 Received: from 164.82.188.48 ([164.82.188.48]) by emo-exch2k3-21.dcgov.priv ([10.201.25.70]) via Exchange Front-End Server outlook.dc.gov ([164.82.148.99]) with Microsoft Exchange Server HTTP-DAV ; Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:36:28 +0000 X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jG5/mB64S52BMkqtHXufINAGkezSN0dBZ0= DomainKey-Signature: X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: groups-email X-Apparently-To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com References: <d1mnob+jugg@...>, <00a701c52e53$e8854ae0$6401a8c0@VERVOSHRO7GGIE> Thread-Topic: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Thread-Index: AcUwXkg1+uVdaXrBT16riXs/kBpGYQ== X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Web Access 6.5.7232.39 X-MimeCtl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5.7232.39 X-OriginalArrivalTime: 24 Mar 2005 10:36:28.0619 (UTC) FILETIME=[5632D1B0:01C5305D] X-eGroups-Msg-Info: 1:12:0 Mailing-List: list MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com; contact MPD-5D-owner@yahoogroups.com Delivered-To: mailing list MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com List-Id: <MPD-5D.yahoogroups.com> Precedence: bulk List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:MPD-5D-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> Return-Path: sentto-13861494-164-1111660596-dairyqween=hotmail.com@... The ACLU is in court actively opposing any placement of cameras for the purpose of deterring crime. They feel it provides too much of an opportunity for law enforcement to invade someone's privacy. They started it when we placed the cameras to deal with the IMF protests. Lt. Craig From: Amber King Sent: Mon 3/21/2005 3:12 PM To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Hi all, I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras in bad areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think cameras at the bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around schools would surely be helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and cutting down on criminal activity in general. Is this legal in this city and has there been any chatter about this? thanks! amber Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D/ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: mailto:MPD-5D-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                            • k_fw
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 25, 2005
                                Personally, I think there are some simpler ways to stop crime in our
                                neighborhoods than training cameras to record activity on our street
                                corners. One way is increased police presence in known "hot spots."

                                Sgt. Brown has drawn up an action plan for the 2500 block of 10th
                                Street which would increase police presence in a truly volatile
                                area. If someone Capt. Burke could fax this plan to me, or if I
                                could pick up a hardcopy somewhere, I would be more than happy to
                                type it up and let our neighbors on the listserve see what the police
                                action will be. If for some reason, the police do not want this
                                information made public, I would appreciate knowing that as well.

                                As for the cameras, keep in mind someone will still have to review
                                the tapes and ID suspects in order to have any effect. Part of the
                                problem with catching the armed robbers operating in our area has
                                been that even the victims couldn't identify the robbers. How in the
                                world would a camera help in that instance?

                                Honestly, if I thought cameras would do anything to stop crime I
                                would feel the need to confront the ACLU on this issue, but I think
                                the end result is that they would be expensive for tax payers and
                                ultimately ineffective in preventing crime.
                              • gwensouth@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 26, 2005
                                  Peter,
                                  You are right.  I spoke with an MPD detective and he said that citizens can place cameras on *their* property and share these photos with the police.  As a resident of an apartment complex, I take pictures that are turned over to the management.  These tenants are removed.  There needs to be a meeting with the owner of the building on 10th Street to request that they place camera surveillance on their property and that they work closely with MPD to rid the building of nuisance tenants.  The owner may have to be forced to do this; often they are unwilling to deal with the problem tenants.  I know for a fact that if the landlord works with the police, especially with the citizen complaints, they can clean up that property.

                                  Gwen

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 26, 2005
                                    Peter:

                                    It is not the ACLU's position to prevent private
                                    property owners from using cameras. That's fine with
                                    them (and fine with me).

                                    It's the use of cameras by government entities that
                                    they are opposed to--and in my opinion rightfully so.
                                    Especially in these days of the Bush Administration,
                                    the Patriot Act, and the unlawful imprisonment and
                                    treatment of hundreds of Muslim Americans after 9/11.

                                    Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block
                                    To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: