RE: New Disorderly Conduct Law (Noise Violation)

  • Reports, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011

      Feb 1, 2011- The new disorderly conduct law passed by the Council in December became effective citywide at midnight. This includes the new "Noise at Night" violation that has been mentioned in the media.  While MPD will continue to work with individuals and communities to appropriately balance the rights of each, the new law makes it clear that a person who makes an unreasonably loud noise between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. that is likely to annoy or disturb one or more other persons in their residences is violating the law and may be subject to arrest.

      DC Council Websites:
      http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/lims/legislation.aspx?LegNo=B18-0425&Description=%22DISORDERLY+CONDUCT+AMENDMENT+ACT+OF+2010%22.%09+&ID=23023

      Adobe Document:
      http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/images/00001/20110105110704.pdf
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14 4:37 AM
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Reports, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.reports@...> wrote:
        Feb 1, 2011- The new disorderly conduct law passed by the Council in December became effective citywide at midnight. This includes the new "Noise at Night" violation that has been mentioned in the media. While MPD will continue to work with individuals and communities to appropriately balance the rights of each, the new law makes it clear that a person who makes an unreasonably loud noise between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. that is likely to annoy or disturb one or more other persons in their residences is violating the law and may be subject to arrest.

        DC Council Websites:
        http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/lims/legislation.aspx?LegNo=B18-0425&Description=%22DISORDERLY+CONDUCT+AMENDMENT+ACT+OF+2010%22.%09+&ID=23023

        > I just read an article in the Georgetown Dish that MPD will increase enforcement of noise violations. Will there also be an increased enforcement of this law in the 7th District.
        > Thanks,
        > Adriane

      • aRodeoJock
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 14 5:12 AM
          I was involved in a hit and run this morning at the New York-Florida Ave nightmare. The woman refused to give me her information and I had to follow her to get a picture of her license plate. Since I left the scene as well, I was told 911 could not help me and I could go into any station to file a report. So I stopped at the 2D station since it's near my office but they said that they don't take hit and run reports there.

          So what exactly am I supposed to do now?? Here's another peine example if why the UOC should be staffed by MPD officers that actually know procedures and the law.

          Patrick
          1900 block of H St

          - Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon any spelling mistakes as they are probably caused by the autocorrect!!

        • Groomes, Diane (MPD)

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14 6:35 AM
              This is so unfortunate to hear. I hope all parties are ok. I have been complaining about this intersection/pattern change since it took place and it really needs to be re-evaluated and corrected. Also, this has added on to my commute time.Sabrina
            • Matthew Hutson
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14 7:49 AM
                Please keep the list serve updated.  I was involved in a accident when a forklift came out on the street and hit my car.  An officer (DC) arrived, the business owner refused to give his insurance info, and the officer responded they only give reports when there is physical harm.  Long story short I had to use my insurance to get the car fixed.

                I was involved in a hit and run this morning at the New York-Florida Ave nightmare. The woman refused to give me her information and I had to follow her to get a picture of her license plate. Since I left the scene as well, I was told 911 could not help me and I could go into any station to file a report. So I stopped at the 2D station since it's near my office but they said that they don't take hit and run reports there.

                So what exactly am I supposed to do now?? Here's another peine example if why the UOC should be staffed by MPD officers that actually know procedures and the law.

                Patrick
                1900 block of H St

                - Sent from my iPhone. Please pardon any spelling mistakes as they are probably caused by the autocorrect!!

              • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31, 2011

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2011
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2015
                      Last night around 1130p a car crashed into a mini van pushing it into the street light at the corner of 13th and Franklin. Though I didn't see it, my neighbors did and said The car that ran the light stopped briefly in front of my driveway, then took off leaving the person and the scene. I don't know if the person was injured in the minivan. Not sure if MPD has a description of the car that fled.

                      As always be careful at that corner. Try to wait 3 seconds before going when the light turns green and never ever try to beat the yellow light. It's not worth it.

                      MPD and DDot- what's your plan to fix this corner?

                      Elise 13th

                      Sent from my iPhone