DC SNOW TEAM PREPARES FOR THE SEASON’S LATEST WINTRY M IX
- View Source
Snow, sleet, freezing possible between Monday night and Tuesday morning
DCPS plans to open on time Tuesday, February 1
The DC Snow Team will mount a full mobilization of more than 200 vehicles on their routes at 11 pm Monday, in anticipation of the wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain predicted for tonight. This deployment will focus on spreading salt on roadways. The forecast calls for light, intermittent snow, sleet and freezing rain starting around 11 pm, then changing to rain Tuesday. The temperature at midnight tonight is expected to be around 29F and 34F by midday Tuesday.
DC Public Schools plans to open on time. However, parents should continue to watch news and media reports or check the DCPS website (http://dcps.dc.gov) for the latest information and updates as the weather progresses through the evening and early morning hours.
The Snow Team asks residents and property owners to treat their sidewalks with abrasives, e.g., non-clumping kitty litter, tonight, which can make clearing the sidewalks a little easier once the storm ends.
Residents and travelers are reminded to:
· Take Metro as an alternative to driving.
· Drive only if it is absolutely necessary.
· If you must drive, drive cautiously and maintain safe speeds and distances from other vehicles.
· Keep a safe distance from emergency and snow vehicles and please use caution when attempting to pass a snowplow. Give the drivers plenty of room to safely do their jobs.
· Clear sidewalks of snow and ice within 24 hours of the end of a snow/ice storm.
· Be aware of hazardous road conditions, particularly black ice which can be deceptive in appearance and give the driver a false sense of security on the road.
· Keep your gas tank full.
· Clear all the snow and ice from your vehicle’s hood, roof, windows and lights before driving.
· Drive carefully on bridges, ramps and other elevated structures, which can freeze before the roadway.
· Have an emergency “go-kit” in your car. Visit www.hsema.dc.gov to learn how to make your go-kit.
WHERE TO FIND UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION ON SNOW CLOSINGS, DELAYS AND TRAFFIC:
DC government is registered with local media outlets that will announce information on government closings or delayed openings. They include:
WTOP – 103.5 FM / 103.9 FM
WAMU -88.5 FM
WHUR – 96.3 FM
WASH – 97.1 FM
WRC – TV 4
WTTG – Fox 5
WJLA TV – 7/8
WUSA - 9
Be sure to check your community listservs for information as well!!!
YOU MAY ALSO FOLLOW US ON:
DDOT Twitter: www.twitter.com/DDOTDC
DDOT Face book: facebook.com/DDOTDC
DDOT Website: www.ddot.dc.gov
DPW’s Twitter account is www.twitter.com/DCDPW
DPW Website: www.dpw.dc.gov
DC HSEMA: http://hsema.dc.gov (will be updated soon to the new DCGov standard)
DC HSEMA Twitter: http://twitter.com/dc_hsema
DC HSMEMA Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DCHSEMA
DC HSEMA Alert DC: https://textalert.ema.dc.gov
***ALERT DC - To directly receive your personal updates about the latest information on weather, traffic, closings and more, sign up to receive important TXT messages from ALERT DC at https://textalert.ema.dc.gov.Kevin B. TwineStaff AssistantDepartment of Public WorksOffice of the Director2000 14th St., NW6th FloorWashington, DC 20009(202) 671-2593(202) 673-6833
Preventing terrorism is everybody’s business.
If you SEE something, SAY something.
Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@... to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.
Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emergencies.
To learn more, visit http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.