Disturbing News about Jennifer Greene, Commander 5D

  • tmanago538
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
      We recently had an informal meeting in our neighborhood regarding
      all of the drug activity and known crack houses. It was mentioned
      on more than FIVE occassions that the 5D Commander has absolutely no
      interest in helping the residents of Eckington rid itself of the
      KNOWN drug houses. Several residents said that "it doesn't do any
      good to call 5D, they won't do anything!" "Jennifer Greene just
      makes empty promises and is an ineffective Commander!"

      With comments like that, it's no wonder no one makes any attempts to
      call in the drug activity and report all of the suspicious activity
      in our neighborhood. I have witnessed drug addicts performing
      sexual favors directly in front of a house on 2nd NE (near U St.),
      we have also heard gun shots in the house and around the area. No
      one ever does anything. I am not deluded enough to think that MPD
      can solve this problem overnight but I am starting to believe that
      the police are in some ways profitting from all of the drug activity
      in Eckington because it happens in plain sight and no one from 5D
      seems to give a damn. I have an infant and I live uncomfortably
      close to one of these houses. Are you people waiting for something
      to happen to tax paying citizens, such as myself, before you take
      action? Are you waiting for something to happen to some of the non-
      Black residents before you show that you care about this
      neighborhood?

      Vincent Orange made the ignorant statement that... "if white people
      called the police more, then 5D will take action." Never have I
      heard such absurd remarks from someone so interested in becoming a
      policital leader. While his comment had an element of truth, it is
      a sad state of affairs when families with incomes at or above the
      middle class income level can't get action from the police simply
      because of the color of their skin, in a city that is predominately
      Black.

      I plan to take my crusade to the Post and other media outlets.
      While I don't think it will spark any action on the part of 5D, my
      hope is that my comments will be on record in the event that
      something happens to me, someone in my family or some other law
      abiding citizen in Eckington.

      We need more patrols in between 2nd St NE, Lincoln Rd and 4th St NE
      streets. Those are the only streets that have direct access from a
      major Avenue (RI) so it is easy for all of the seedy characters to
      hide out and deal drugs in the side streets and alleys. What will
      it take for 5D to take the problems in Eckington seriously? I'm
      guessing nothing.
    • Greene, Jennifer (MPD)
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
        The Eckington area is a Hot Spot, for 5D and for the District of Columbia (1 of 14 in the city). It was designated a Hot Spot last year and continues to be a Hot Spot because of the of the crime and multiple DC Government agency problems. 5D is addressing the problems in this community and because it is a Hot Spot activities such as Drug Free Zones, Operation Fightbacks and increased patrols are documented...Commander Greene

        ________________________________

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • tmanago538
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
          Commander Greene-

          Thank you for your response. Can you tell me the definition of a hot
          spot?

          Thanks,
          Terry

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Greene, Jennifer \(MPD\)"
          <jennifer.greene@d...> wrote:

          > The Eckington area is a Hot Spot, for 5D and for the District of
          Columbia (1 of 14 in the city). It was designated a Hot Spot last
          year and continues to be a Hot Spot because of the of the crime and
          multiple DC Government agency problems. 5D is addressing the
          problems in this community and because it is a Hot Spot activities
          such as Drug Free Zones, Operation Fightbacks and increased patrols
          are documented...Commander Greene

          > ________________________________

        • Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006

            In February 2004, Mayor Anthony A. Williams launched an innovative and aggressive program to combat crime and rebuild some of the District of Columbia's most troubled neighborhoods. Called the "Hot Spot Initiative," the effort brings together the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), a range of other city government agencies, and the private and non-profit sectors for a focused attack on both crime and the underlying conditions that can breed crime in the geographically compact "hot spots" located throughout DC.

            This information and other information relating to the Office of Neighborhood Service can be found on our website: http://ons.dc.gov/services/problemArea.shtm

            Francine P. Edmonds

            Ward 5 Neighborhood Services Coordinator

            Office of Neighborhood Service

            64 New York Avenue NE,

            Room 4100

            Washington, DC 20002

            (202) 671-0726

            (202) 671-0728 (Fax)

            francine.edmonds@...

            To request a scheduled service, call 202-727-1000 or visit www.src.dc.gov

            <jennifer.greene@d...> wrote:

            > The Eckington area is a Hot Spot, for 5D and for the
            District of
            Columbia
            (1 of 14 in the city).  It was designated a Hot Spot last
            year and continues to be a Hot Spot because of the of the crime and
            multiple DC Government agency problems.  5D is addressing the
            problems in this community and because it is a Hot Spot activities
            such as Drug Free Zones, Operation Fightbacks and increased patrols
            are documented...Commander Greene

            > ________________________________

            2:19 AM
            > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [MPD-5D] Disturbing News about Jennifer Greene, Commander
            5D

            > We recently had an informal meeting in our neighborhood regarding
            > all of the drug activity and known crack houses.  It was mentioned
            > on more than FIVE occassions that the 5D Commander has absolutely no
            > interest in helping the residents of Eckington rid itself of the
            > KNOWN drug houses.  Several residents said that "it doesn't do any
            > good to call 5D, they won't do anything!"  "Jennifer Greene just
            > makes empty promises and is an ineffective Commander!"
            >
            > With comments like that, it's no wonder no one makes any attempts to
            > call in the drug activity and report all of the suspicious activity
            > in our neighborhood.  I have witnessed drug addicts performing
            > sexual favors directly in front of a house on 2nd NE (near
            U St.),
            > we have also heard gun shots in the house and around the area.  No
            > one ever does anything.  I am not deluded enough to think that MPD
            > can solve this problem overnight but I am starting to believe that
            > the police are in some ways profitting from all of the drug activity
            > in Eckington because it happens in plain sight and no one from 5D
            > seems to give a damn.  I have an infant and I live uncomfortably
            > close to one of these houses.  Are you people waiting for something
            > to happen to tax paying citizens, such as myself, before you take
            > action?  Are you waiting for something to happen to some of the non-
            > Black residents before you show that you care about this
            > neighborhood?
            >
            > Vincent Orange made the ignorant statement that... "if white people
            > called the police more, then 5D will take action."  Never have I
            > heard such absurd remarks from someone so interested in becoming a
            > policital leader.  While his comment had an element of truth, it is
            > a sad state of affairs when families with incomes at or above the
            > middle class income level can't get action from the police simply
            > because of the color of their skin, in a city that is predominately
            > Black.
            >
            > I plan to take my crusade to the Post and other media outlets.
            > While I don't think it will spark any action on the part of 5D, my
            > hope is that my comments will be on record in the event that
            > something happens to me, someone in my family or some other law
            > abiding citizen in Eckington.
            >
            > We need more patrols in between
            2nd St NE, Lincoln Rd and 4th St NE
            > streets.  Those are the only streets that have direct access from a
            > major Avenue (RI) so it is easy for all of the seedy characters to
            > hide out and deal drugs in the side streets and alleys.  What will
            > it take for 5D to take the problems in Eckington seriously?  I'm
            > guessing nothing.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • cydney fowler
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
              I love that with Eckington's status as as "Hot Spot," I still only see MPD patrols in my neighborhood once a week.  I am a resident of U street NE between Lincoln Rd and 2nd Street.  Not only has there been increased drug activity, there have been NO efforts to thwart the activity by 5D.  Honestly, I see more police cars on a Saturday afternoon in Georgetown than I EVER do in my neighborhood in eckington.

              Without the help and PROactivism of MPD 5D, our neighborhood will never get rid of those that make it a dangerous place to live.
            • Caro Alcuaz
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
                Deat Ms. Edmomds,

                A good day to you.

                I am a PSA 501 resident and a member of the MDP-5D listserv.

                I would like to know where exactly these DC hotspots are located.  I tried looking for them in the DC.gov website and the internet in general but could not find any locations.

                I hope you can assist me in this matter.

                Thank you.

                Carlos Alcuaz

              • Tom Usselman
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006

                  Hi Terry,

                  There are two police meetings that may interest you. There is the PSA meeting and the CAC meeting. The PSA 501 meeting is held every 3rd Thursday of the month. Next month it will be held February 16th at Edgewood Terrace’s Crawford Hall located at 635 Edgewood St NE , 9th Floor. This meeting is designed to allow citizens to bring issues to the attention of the PSA officers. It also gives the officers a chance to let us know what they have been working on.

                  The CAC meeting is held on the 4th Thursday of the month. The next CAC meeting is going to be February 23rd at the 5th district headquarters located at 1805 Bladensburg Rd NE. It is designed to allow citizens to communicate with the commander of the 5th district and allow her to share information on crime stats and trends.

                  I attended both of these meetings in January. By attending these meetings I was able to learn that the police have been very aggressively responding to community concerns. Here are a few things:

                  1. Illegal rooming house closed on T St NW
                  2. Problem house in 1400 blk of 1st st NW Closed
                  3. Neighborhood con artist arrested
                  4. A group of teenagers that were robbing people were arrested
                  5. Commander Green has a group of officers assigned to auto theft issues
                  6. PSA 501 won a district wide award for the best PSA in the Central command. Beating out the 1st district’s PSAs

                  And many many more…

                  I invite to you attend a “Formal” police meeting so that you can get the information that you need, and to personally inform our Police Lt. of your concerns.

                  I would also like to point out that there are many ways to get a crack house closed down. Check out - Operation crackdown http://www.badc.org/html/ylocd.htm. The owner can loose their property if they do not cooperate and evict the problem tenants. This is just one of many ways.

                  Clearly the police have a daunting job, made even more difficult by a revolving door court system and a city government that seems to ignore prevention measures.

                  In my opinion if you joined us at the police meetings you would find that the 5th district police work very hard for us and you may even find ways to help them make things better.

                  To all of the 5th district officers and Commander Greene: Please know that not all of the residents of PSA 501 feel as Terry does and I personally would like to thank you for all of your hard work.

                  Again Terry I invite you to join us, the police and the city government in working together to make PSA 501 a better place.

                  Thanks and hope to see you at the next PSA meeting,

                  Tom Usselman

                  <jennifer.greene@d...> wrote:

                  > The Eckington area is a Hot Spot, for 5D and for the District of
                  Columbia (1 of 14 in the city).  It was designated a Hot Spot last

                  year and continues to be a Hot Spot because of the of the crime and
                  multiple DC Government agency problems.  5D is addressing the
                  problems in this community and because it is a Hot Spot activities
                  such as Drug Free Zones, Operation Fightbacks and increased patrols
                  are documented...Commander Greene

                  > ________________________________

                • kimberly Niono
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
                    I can understand your frustration, but I have had some assistance with Commander Greene and Vincent Orange. After attending a meeting, the message that I received from them both, was that "the squeeky wheel gets the oil."  I had mentioned that several folks on our street had their cars broken into.  The Commander asked if we reported the incidences. I knew that I had not but was not sure if my neighbors did.  They both mentioned that if we don't report crimes, then the police operate as if everything is okay in the neighborhood.  While I am extremely dissatisfied with 311 operators and the response that I get from using it, I have gone the extra mile and have had success with the police by calling the district police department directly.  It will take a little leg work from you, but if you make the calls and the follow-up, you can see results!!

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006

                      17th & M St. or Maryland Avenue NE Hot Spot

                      Bound on the South by Benning Road NE, on the West by 17th St. on the East by 21st St. NE and on the North by M St. and the rear of the US Arboretum.

                      Eckington/Rhode Island Avenue NE Hot Spot

                      Bound on the South by R & Q St. NE, on the West by Lincoln Rd, on the East by 5th St. NE and on the North by RI Avenue NE.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006

                        Mr. Alcuaz,

                        I have attached the link that will provide you with the brochure of the Hot Spots in all the Wards.  Hopefully this information will answer the questions you have.

                        http://dcbiz.dc.gov/dmped/lib/dmped/pdf/hot_spots_brochure.pdf

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
                            Dear Ms. Edmonds,

                            First,sorry I misspelled your name.

                            Second, thank you for the information.

                            I was under the impression that the Bates Area was also a hotspot.  Was I mistaken, or perhaps that status has been lifted?

                            Thank you again for your work.

                            Caro Alcuaz <caro_alcuaz@...> wrote:
                            Deat Ms. Edmomds,

                            A good day to you.

                            I am a PSA 501 resident and a member of the MDP-5D listserv.

                            I would like to know where exactly these DC hotspots are located.  I tried looking for them in the DC.gov website and the internet in general but could not find any locations.

                            I hope you can assist me in this matter.

                            Thank you.

                            Carlos Alcuaz

                          • Paula LaGrand
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 28, 2006
                              Commander Greene and the officers in the fifth district are doing a fine job under not so fine circumstances. Police work is damned if you do and damned if you don't. Try not to be so critical of a job most people would never even attempt to do. If you think the grass is greener in some other communities in this city, then move there. I'm sure you will see that even those communities have problems also.

                            • garyrahman@netzero.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 28, 2006
                                This is great news, I notice the boarding house was closed. I heard that their are a group of four teenagers/guys breaking in houses. Would the group being mentioned about car break ins be the same?

                                Gary Muhammad Abdur Rahman
                              • Edmonds, Francine (EOM)
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006

                                  Good morning!

                                  To my knowledge Bates Street has never been an official Hot Spot since this initiative begun.  I have checked records from previous coordinators and it supports my statement.  I do know that MPD and the core team have worked on several issues that had been brought to our attention.  We recently were successful in closing down an illegal rooming house that had been operating for awhile, and we continue to work daily on addressing problems in that area.

                                  We also have been successful in having gang graffiti removed from buildings and sidewalks.  We have aggressively went after the illegal dumpers weather it be owners or others coming from other areas resulting in some arrest and citations.  This area has improved tremendously in the past year, and residents continue to see an improvement on a daily basis.  This in part because they contact the Mayor's call center (727-1000), MPD (311 or 911) or our office requesting increased enforcement or giving us vital information.

                                  This question and others are frequently addressed in the PSA 501 meeting and also the Bates Civic Association meeting.

                                  Francine P. Edmonds

                                  Ward 5 Neighborhood Services Coordinator

                                  Office of Neighborhood Services

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 30, 2006
                                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:

                                        It is obvious that Vincent Orange is just like most polictians they
                                        want your vote just to maintain their upper class life style but,
                                        yet once they are voted in office, they do not do the job for which
                                        the citizens has voted for them to do in the first place. People
                                        like V. Orange fell to realize that the same people that voted him
                                        in office can very well vote his ass out of his political office. I
                                        have called his office a few times for the same type of issues like
                                        everyone else and he does absolutely NOTHING!!! Remember what
                                        happen to K. Chavous, S. Allen and H. Brazil they took citizens
                                        votes for granted. As for Orange, I always knew that he was not cut
                                        out to be a ward counsilman in the first place, he not even from DC,
                                        he is from California and that should tell you all right there that
                                        he is clueless about the ways of this city. I myself have never
                                        voted for him in ward 5 NOT AT ALL!!

                                        > Here's another Vincent Orange statement, at an ANC/SMD meeting a
                                        few years
                                        > ago, when questioned about the problem of drug dealers on the
                                        street: "Gwen,
                                        > drug dealers have rights too." And that's a quote. So don't look
                                        for any help
                                        > from him to stop the drug dealing in your neighborhood.
                                        > Gwen Southerland
                                        >

                                        > In a message dated 01/27/2006 9:43:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                        > jennifer.greene@d... writes:
                                        > Vincent Orange made the ignorant statement that... "if white people
                                        > called the police more, then 5D will take action." Never have I
                                        > heard such absurd remarks from someone so interested in becoming a
                                        > policital leader. While his comment had an element of truth, it is
                                        > a sad state of affairs when families with incomes at or above the
                                        > middle class income level can't get action from the police simply
                                        > because of the color of their skin, in a city that is predominately
                                        > Black.

                                      • tmanago538
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 31, 2006
                                          Well I've lived here for 3.5 months and I work from home. I have
                                          only seen the police on 2nd St. (btw RI & T St) ONCE.

                                          So as far as I'm concerned we don't have ANY patrol. It's sad! I
                                          truly believe that an innocent, tax paying, law abiding citizen will
                                          have to become a victim of a senseless crime in order for 5D to
                                          patrol the mean streets of Eckington.

                                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, cydney fowler <cydney.fowler@g...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I love that with Eckington's status as as "Hot Spot," I still only
                                          see MPD
                                          > patrols in my neighborhood once a week. I am a resident of U
                                          street NE
                                          > between Lincoln Rd and 2nd Street. Not only has there been
                                          increased drug
                                          > activity, there have been NO efforts to thwart the activity by 5D.
                                          > Honestly, I see more police cars on a Saturday afternoon in
                                          Georgetown than
                                          > I EVER do in my neighborhood in eckington.
                                          >
                                          > Without the help and PROactivism of MPD 5D, our neighborhood will
                                          never get
                                          > rid of those that make it a dangerous place to live.

                                        • Patrick Nelson
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 1, 2006
                                            I have to say since I moved here about 18 months ago, I'm seeing fewer and fewer patrols in our neck of the woods, too (19th & H Sts NE). We seem to have a gang hanging out on the 800 block of 18th Street doing the same type of drivebys. I witnessed a fight there a couple of weeks ago as I was driving home. I called 311, but since I can't see that area from my house I have no idea if anyone ever showed up.

                                            I guess they've moved all our officers over to Adams Morgan to keep the MD and VA residents safe while they're clubbing it up in the richer wards...

                                            +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                                            "Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism"
                                            -Howard Zinn, Historian

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 4, 2006
                                              Note:  Correction, the second paragraph is what I wrote, not the first or third paragraph.  "Vincent Orange says drug dealers have rights..." that was my statement not the other 2.  Thanks...Gwen

                                              In a message dated 1/31/2006 12:11:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, tvehunt@... writes:
                                              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:

                                              It is obvious that Vincent Orange is just like most polictians they
                                              want your vote just to maintain their upper class life style but,
                                              yet once they are voted in office, they do not do the job for which
                                              the citizens has voted for them to do in the first place.  People
                                              like V. Orange fell to realize that the same people that voted him
                                              in office can very well vote his ass out of his political office.  I
                                              have called his office a few times for the same type of issues like
                                              everyone else and he does absolutely NOTHING!!!   Remember what
                                              happen to K. Chavous, S. Allen and H. Brazil they took citizens
                                              votes for granted.  As for Orange, I always knew that he was not cut
                                              out to be a ward counsilman in the first place, he not even from DC,
                                              he is from California and that should tell you all right there that
                                              he is clueless about the ways of this city.  I myself have never
                                              voted for him in ward 5 NOT AT ALL!!

                                              > Here's another Vincent Orange statement, at an ANC/SMD meeting a
                                              few years
                                              > ago, when questioned about the problem of drug dealers on the
                                              street:  "Gwen,
                                              > drug dealers have rights too."  And that's a quote.  So don't look
                                              for any help
                                              > from him to stop the drug dealing in your neighborhood.
                                              > Gwen Southerland
                                              >

                                              > In a message dated 01/27/2006 9:43:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                              > jennifer.greene@d... writes:
                                              > Vincent Orange made the ignorant statement that... "if white people
                                              > called the police more, then 5D will take action."  Never have I
                                              > heard such absurd remarks from someone so interested in becoming a
                                              > policital leader.  While his comment had an element of truth, it is
                                              > a sad state of affairs when families with incomes at or above the
                                              > middle class income level can't get action from the police simply
                                              > because of the color of their skin, in a city that is predominately
                                              > Black.

                                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/