RE: [MPD-5D] Re: Shooting last night/Troublesome buildings--What can we do?

  • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
      If someone can give me the exact address of the building I will invite the
      owner to the next landlord roundtable meeting. I'm not driving right now;
      otherwise, I would visit the location to get it.

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 21, 2005
        "One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is currently being
        processed. I'll provide additional details as they become available."

        What was the result of the investigation into this car? Was it
        stolen? Was the owner of the car or the driver able to provide any
        more information about this shooting?

        Thanks,
        Kristen

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

      • baringlake
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 19, 2005
          Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
          As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses in
          the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
          fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
          area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
          graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
          prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a known
          drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week ago.

          I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
          I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
          warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
          NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600 block
          of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
          shop.

          The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
          LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001) is
          the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for lease"
          sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-6300.
          Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
          information seems to match.

          I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti removal
          (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
          secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617). I
          also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know he's
          leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500 block
          of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to the
          warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so I
          asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if Sgt.
          Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
          assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
          my service requests?

          Thanks so much!
          Jen

          <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
          > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
          information to DCRA as well.

          > Captain Patrick A. Burke
          > Fifth District, MPDC
          > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
          >
          > Office: 202 727-4488
          > Pager: 888 523-7099

          What can we do?

          > Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
          > area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
          > people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're
          related.

          > I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
          > 2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
          > It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
          > once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign),
          but
          > it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
          > advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
          > Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
          > anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
          > inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
          > have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
          > the metro tracks.
          >
          > Jen
          >
          > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
          > <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
          > > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street?
          Thanks.

        • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

            <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
            > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
            information to DCRA as well.

            > Captain Patrick A. Burke
            > Fifth District, MPDC
            > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
            >
            > Office: 202 727-4488
            > Pager: 888 523-7099

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
              Jen,

              Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable" meetings with 5D
              to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for addressing
              crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not comply
              they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil Forfeiture".
              Initially I invited property owners in my single member district. We are
              experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other areas. I am
              happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.

              Sincerely,

              Kathy Henderson, 5B10

              <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
              > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
              information to DCRA as well.

              > Captain Patrick A. Burke
              > Fifth District, MPDC
              > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
              >
              > Office: 202 727-4488
              > Pager: 888 523-7099

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                information to DCRA as well.

                > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                > Fifth District, MPDC
                > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                >
                > Office: 202 727-4488
                > Pager: 888 523-7099

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • baringlake
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                  Ms. Henderson,
                  Thanks so much for inviting them to the Landlord Roundtable. Let me
                  know if you need any further information for me for it.

                  <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                  > Jen,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                  meetings with 5D
                  > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                  addressing
                  > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                  comply
                  > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                  Forfeiture".
                  > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                  We are
                  > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                  areas. I am
                  > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                  Behalf Of
                  > baringlake
                  > Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:25 PM
                  > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St
                  NE

                  > Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                  > As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses
                  in
                  > the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
                  > fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
                  > area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
                  > graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
                  > prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a
                  known
                  > drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week
                  ago.

                  > I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
                  > I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
                  > warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
                  > NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600
                  block
                  > of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
                  > shop.
                  >
                  > The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
                  > LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001)
                  is
                  > the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for
                  lease"
                  > sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-
                  6300.
                  > Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
                  > information seems to match.
                  >
                  > I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti
                  removal
                  > (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
                  > secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617).
                  > also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know
                  he's
                  > leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500
                  block
                  > of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to
                  the
                  > warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so
                  > asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if
                  Sgt.
                  > Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
                  > assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
                  > my service requests?
                  >
                  > Thanks so much!
                  > Jen
                  >
                  > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
                  > <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                  > > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                  > information to DCRA as well.
                  > >
                  > > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                  > > Fifth District, MPDC
                  > > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                  > >
                  > > Office: 202 727-4488
                  > > Pager: 888 523-7099

                • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                    Great, thanks.

                    <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                    > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                    information to DCRA as well.

                    > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                    > Fifth District, MPDC
                    > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                    >
                    > Office: 202 727-4488
                    > Pager: 888 523-7099

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • gwensouth@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                      Kathy,

                      Just wanted to tell you that your implementation of the "Landlord's Roundtable" is absolutely the best solution to many of the crime problems in our communities.  What I've found is that the landlord, an important element in the problem solving, is most often unwilling to become a party to the process of solving crimes that emanate from their property.

                      Your solution will compel them to come forth as a partner in ridding problematic and criminal tenants, and their guests, from their property.  This is especially effective in the case of Section 8 housing properties, as they are funded by the federal and local governments.

                      Please keep me posted as to how this process of "Civil Forfeiture" works and could you share with me where I can find legal information about this process.  Thanks for your good works and keep it up.

                      Gwen Southerland

                      <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                      > Jen,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                      meetings with 5D
                      > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                      addressing
                      > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                      comply
                      > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                      Forfeiture".
                      > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                      We are
                      > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                      areas. I am
                      > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                      Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                      'Thanks & Giving.'
                    • baringlake
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                        Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                        I wanted to follow-up on this posting from this spring, as there have
                        been some updates. This is regarding the empty warehouses at 805
                        Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place NE, and 809 Channing Place NE.
                        They are right off of the 2500-2600 block of Reed St NE, near the
                        Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform shop in the 900 block of
                        Rhode Island NE.

                        When I originally contacted this list-serve, I had mentioned that the
                        fencing around the warehouses had been pulled aside, allowing drug
                        users and prostitutes to get in. With the help of this list-serve, the
                        fencing was repaired, and that seemed to keep down the number of
                        people roaming around those warehouses.

                        Unfortunately, someone has opened up the fencing to this warehouse.
                        This isn't just someone pulling it down this time. Someone unlocked
                        the gates and left the warehouses wide open. I have seen the fencing
                        open at all times of day -- morning, afternoon and night. At the very
                        least, this is a danger to the children next door at Calvary Christian
                        Academy. It's also starting to attract drug users and prostitutes
                        again, who can now enter the warehouse with ease.

                        I had also made a request to the city last spring that the graffiti be
                        removed, especially since there appear to be some gang markings. I
                        didn't see graffiti removed, so I made another request last week.

                        The folks on the list-serve had been helpful in securing the
                        warehouses last spring, so I'm hoping that I can get some help in
                        making the owner re-secure the warehouse and possibly allow the city
                        to clean up the graffiti that is all over the warehouses.

                        As for the owner, the building is owned by a company called "Jemal's
                        Channing Place LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON
                        DC 20001) is the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a
                        "for lease" sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at
                        202-638-6300.

                        Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson, could you look into this and reach
                        out to the owner again?

                        Thanks so much,
                        Jen