Re: [MPD-5D] Drug activity at First and O Street NW

  • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      Thank you for your support we will continue to concentrate on this area!
      Commander Lamar D. Greene

      If you SEE something, SAY something.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
        Thank you and happy new year...co greene has a top notch team who again reduced crime for 2010 with the help of the community

        Sent with Good (www.good.com)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
          This is inquiry as it relates to the subject - is an appeal to request the return of the light truck to the corner of Summit Place and 2ND Street NE; considering the increased drug and related crime activity (purse snatching, shootings) around Yang's Market located at Summit Place and U Street NE, also Uhland Terrace - areas that are already designated "Hot Spots". Yang's owners and citizens have appealed to me and have said they have registered complaints to 5D about the need for more police presence. Quite frankly, they are experiencing anxiety and intimidation.

          Additionally, the Lincoln Market at the corner of Todd Place and Lincoln Rd. is now under new ownership. I recently spoke to its owner, who has expressed his concern about the loitering in front of his store, just as is at the Yang's Market. Again, these store owners rightfully would like more police presence in their areas (which will automatically help the overall community).  However, in light of this inquiry and expressed concerns, we want also to give credit due to Officer Miles for paying a visit to the Lincoln Rd Market and leaving his contact information to assist the new store owner with any police concerns that may arise, which pleased the new owner.

          Finally, a special notation regarding the fact that school reopens Monday, January 3rd, and will find the newly relocated Hyde Public Charter School (Langley campus) vacated.  I will personally contact Dr. Cason, Hyde's Principal to request that they do all that is necessary once their move is completed to ensure that the building is 100% secure, to help avoid potential crime in its many facets (i.e, drugs, hanging out for truancy, theft, rapes, including open space for attacks on students remaining at the surrounding McKinley Tech, etc.). Of course, this will require collaborative efforts of vigilance on the part of community residents (eyes/ears) and MPD-5D.

          On behalf of the Edgewood Civic Association representing the Edgewood-Eckington communities, please know that we are most grateful for your past, as well as the continued support of MPD- 5D to foster policing that helps to make our communities a safer place for all in the abatement of crime and potential crime.  We look forward to working together with you in 2011.

          Happy New Year and Blessings to All!

          Michael D. Clark, President
          The Edgewood Civic Association

          Website:  www.theedgewoodcivicassociationdc.org

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
            I will rotate the towers through these areas, thanks for the information, I'll stop by and speak with the store owners as well. We will continue to work with the principals of both schools to ensure campus and student safety, again thanks for the continued partnership!