RE: [MPD-5D] Dangerous intersection - rampant road rage incidents

  • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
      Good Morning,

      DDOT is the agency responsible for addressing and resolving this issue. The
      main phone number for DDOT is (202) 671-2628. I also suggest calling (202)
      727-1000 to enter a service request for roadway signage.

      Sincerely,

      Kathy Henderson

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
        Anything across NY Ave is 2-D I believe.
      • Jordan, Brian (MPD)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
          Re: [MPD-5D] Dangerous intersection - rampant road rage incidents

          The location falls within the First District.  The information has been forwarded to Cmdr. Groomes of the First District.
          Asst. Chief Brian K. Jordan--------------------------

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
            Amy,

            Hooray for you! So I'm not the only one who has seent his happening
            with increasing frequency! Those of us turning legally from the far
            left lane onto North Capitol Street are forced to wait for the illegal
            turners so as not to get hit. I hope your message is noticed and
            something is done. Thanks.

            Carol
          • Joe Cullinan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2006
              Amy
              Just curious as to what your source is regarding what is the "legal"
              way to make a left turn from M St NW onto North Capitol street? Since
              there are no lane markings there, how do you know what is the "right"
              way to make turns there?
              I too have experienced much of what you write about but since it is
              common practice in DC to have two lanes turning left onto a two lane
              roadway, I never thought of the practice as illegal. I disagree that
              there is not enough room for two cars to turn, but the outside lane
              really does need to make a wider turn to avoid the problems you describe.
              I agree that lane markings are in order and would help with this
              problem. Perhaps DDot should do a study at that intersection and let
              them come up with a solution?

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "UID Group Administrator"
              <ANewlon@u...> wrote:

              > Each day I take the 395 tunnel North to NY Avenue and make a right
              > onto a small side street (M street maybe?) that goes by Sursum Corda
              > housing so that I can use the side street in order to make a left
              > onto North Capitol street(since there is no left turn from NY Ave
              > onto North Capitol). At the intersection where you actually turn
              > left from the side street onto North Capitol, a dangerous trend has
              > developed where lots of cars are now trying to bypass the line of
              > cars legally making left hand turns onto North Capitol street by
              > making a left hand turn from the center lane. Each morning I
              > witness near accidents as cars cut in front of cars turning legally,
              > and cars almost hitting the jersey barrier that separates North
              > Capitol Street tunnel from the service lane that goes to New York
              > Ave. I have also witnessed many road rage incidents where those
              > cutting in line are furious if people don't let them turn left from
              > the center lane.
              >
              > Because of the jersey barriers and tight turning radius, there is
              > not enough space for two cars to safely make the turn at the same
              > time (especially if a person has a larger vehicle like a van).
              > Therefore, those who are rightfully turning from the left lane have
              > to wait while the line cheats zoom up from the side and aggressively
              > cut them off.
              >
              > The road rage incidents at this intersection are getting out of
              > hand. This morning a driver that tried to cut in front of me but
              > couldn't make it, then attempted to force me off the road into the
              > jersey wall. I have also witnessed many "car fights" continuing
              > after incidents at this intersection - with swearing, threats and
              > swerving continuing as the cars move on from the intersection.
              >
              > There needs to be painted arrows in the street which show that the
              > right lane turns right, the middle lane goes straight (or continues
              > on past North Capitol to the NY ave service road) and the left lane
              > is the only lane that rightfully turns left.
              >
              > For a while this incredibly dangerous intersection could also use
              > some police monitoring during rush hour times in the morning until
              > people have learned the proper way to turn at this intersection.
              >
              > If this is outside of the 5th district, could someone please pass
              > this along to the proper authorities who could implement traffic
              > enforcement and street line painting in this area?
              > Thank you.

            • John Galt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2006
                All,

                Just wanted to mention that someone attempted to steal my car last night on Lincoln and U st NE.  The plastic ring around the ignition was removed and it appears that they tried to do something with it to get it started.  Luckily their efforts failed.

                Have others found that the club and other such devices to be a deterrent?

                Thanks

              • Mary Jaminet
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 24, 2006
                  I take this same route every morning, Amy. . . but I'm one who
                  successfully manages, along with other cars, to turn left from that
                  lane. Granted, it is tight, and usually done slowly, but it can be done.
                  The only time I've seen road rage is when a woman in that LEFT lane
                  tried to go STRAIGHT, and was very upset with me when I was turning
                  left. She almost hit me! I've also almost been hit when someone turned
                  left there, but turned into the right lane of traffic. There definitely
                  need to be painted arrows, lines . . . etc. I promise to use the left
                  lane if DC DOT makes it clear that a left hand turn from that middle
                  lane is illegal.
                  It's a miracle that there haven't been thousands of accidents at this
                  intersection!!

                  >>> ANewlon@... 1/23/2006 9:47:07 AM >>>
[...]

                • dan.williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
                    I have learned from past experiences in DC, MD, CA, etc. that using
                    the club is a very good 'deterrent' against car theft.

                    Also, you could invest in a kill switch for your car. If the ignition
                    does not detect the real key in the ignition, the car will not move.
                    As the key for a kill switch is somewhat expensive, this is another
                    good deterrent against would-be thieves.

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, John Galt <johngalt332002@y...> wrote:

                    > All,
                    >
                    > Just wanted to mention that someone attempted to steal my car last
                    night on Lincoln and U st NE. The plastic ring around the ignition
                    was removed and it appears that they tried to do something with it to
                    get it started. Luckily their efforts failed.

                    > Have others found that the club and other such devices to be a
                    deterrent?

                    > Thanks

                    > What are the most popular cars? Find out at Yahoo! Autos

                  • b t
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 26, 2006
                      when I had my car, we installed a 'kill switch' but not one of those fancy ones. We placed a toggle switch in a difficult to locate spot, and I would flip it "off" when I parked the car. We did this after someone was messing around my car and I was worried it would be stolen. As long as the toggle was 'off' that car was going nowhere.

                      From: "dan.williams" <dan.williams@...>
                      Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:46:47 -0000