Thomas Brokers Meeting Between Walmart and Organized Labor

  • DB
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2010

      Council of theDistrict of Columbia

      For Immediate Release
      December 7, 2010
      Contact:  Victoria A. Leonard
      202.727.8204 (desk) -- 202.403.7866 (cell)
      vleonard@dccouncil.us

      Thomas Brokers Meeting Between Walmart and Organized Labor

      Washington, DC - Ward 5 Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. today hosted representatives from Walmart and organized labor to discuss the retailer's plans to open four stores in the District of Columbia, the largest of which will be located in Ward 5 at New York Avenue and Bladensburg Road, NE. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the employment opportunities, economic development, and improved access to healthy food that Walmart will bring to Ward 5 and the District.

      The meeting was held at the Wilson Building and, in addition to Councilmember Thomas, included representatives from Walmart; the faith-based community; the Metropolitan Washington Council, AFL-CIO; the Laborers' International Union of North America; the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees; the International Brotherhood of Teamsters; the National Building Trades Council; the Service Employees International Union; and the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.

      "The meeting was very constructive," said Councilmember Thomas. "It was an important first step in addressing unemployment and other economic challenges we face, specifically the need to bring career opportunities to Ward 5." Thomas is hosting a community meeting about the project tonight at 7 pm, at the 5th Police District, 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE.

      The Walmart project will bring a tremendous employment boost to Ward 5, including 100 construction jobs and 800 permanent positions-300 with Walmart and 500 with other retail establishments planned for the site. Walmart's entry into the District is based on 100 percent private funding and does not depend on taxpayer dollars.

      "All parties are focused on workforce development programs, as well as initiatives to improve the competitiveness of our local businesses," added Thomas. "I will continue to work with both groups to ensure our residents benefit from the employment and other opportunities that Walmart's entry into the District will bring."

      ###

      officialphoto.JPGHarry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. represents Ward 5 on the
      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)