Re: [MPD-5D] Aaahhhh... Returned: Humane, Holiday Pooch Story

  • Tiffany Bridge
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
      According to the shelter's website, they are actively looking for homes for many pit bulls, including this particular dog.

      -Tiffany Bridge

      On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM, James T. Engelhardt <james_engelhardt@...> wrote:

      I thought that the shelter on NY Ave did not adopt out Pits or Pit mixes.  That definitely looks like a Pit mix in the photo.  Cute little guy.

       If that is true, and I think it is, that "stealing" of the puppy was really a jailbreak to get him off of death row, no?

    • sara kaufman
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010

        The report on TV (before the pup was returned) from the humane society said (loosely paraphrased) that pit bulls are loyal dogs and depicted them as friendly (when bred and treated properly I think they said)

        On Dec 2, 2010 1:04 PM, "Tiffany Bridge" <tiffany@...> wrote:
        > According to the shelter's website, they are actively looking for homes for
        > many pit bulls, including this particular dog.
        >
        > http://support.washhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_nyavedogs
        >
        > http://washhumane.typepad.com/
        >
        > <http://support.washhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_nyavedogs>-Tiffany
        > Bridge
        >
        > On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM, James T. Engelhardt <
        > james_engelhardt@...> wrote:
        >

        >> I thought that the shelter on NY Ave did not adopt out Pits or Pit mixes.
        >> That definitely looks like a Pit mix in the photo. Cute little guy.
        >>
        >> If that is true, and I think it is, that "stealing" of the puppy was
        >> really a jailbreak to get him off of death row, no?

      • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010

          During the holiday season, we will continue to provide you with information in the form of Safety Tips and/or Real Crime Alerts from other police districts to equip you with facts to avoid victimization.  Please help MPD by forwarding these tips to other online groups, as well as friends and family.

          Thank you.

          Alerts (Below) from Commanders in the 7th Police District (Burglary Alert) and 2nd Police District (Robbery Alert).

          Yvonne Smith

          Office of Community Outreach

          MPD

          If you SEE something, SAY something.

          From: " Klein, Matthew (MPD)" <matthew.klein@...>

          Sender: MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:25:39 -0500

          To: 2d Listserve ( MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com )< MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com >

          ReplyTo: MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com

          Subject: [MPD-2d] ***Robbery Alert***

          Yesterday evening, a woman walked out of the Apple Store in the 1200 block of Wisconsin Avenue, NW after purchasing 2 laptop computers.  A short time and distance later, while walking from the store to the 3300 block of N Street NW, the woman was robbed by 2 suspects.  She was forcefully knocked down to the ground and both suspects escaped with the computers.

          I think it’s safe to assume that the victim was followed from the store.  The suspects may have been waiting for someone to leave the store with large bags or other obvious indications of a large purchase.

          I have placed additional officers in the area and PSA 206 managers are discussing further precautions with the store.

          As most of you know, this time of year is a favorite for criminals.  They know we’re out shopping and probably not paying much attention to our surroundings.  Please make sure to be aware of what’s going on around you; never leave valuables in your cars; and use common sense when leaving stores with large packages.  If you see anyone acting suspiciously, call 911 immediately.

            Regards,

          Commander Matt Klein

          DC Metropolitan Police Department

          Second District

          (202) 730-1901

        • James T. Engelhardt
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
            Thank you for that, Tiffany.  I should've looked before I asked.

            The reason I thought I was right is that my wife volunteered there, at the NY Ave Shelter, probably 5 years ago, and they had a policy at the time that they wouldn't adopt out pit bulls or pit mixes.

            Glad to see that they changed that policy.  Though, on the other hand, I hope that they screen prospective dog adopters well, as these dogs, when in the wrong hands, can be dangerous.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
              I volunteer there now and they do adopt out pit bulls. However, they will not adopt out pit bulls to individuals who live in PG County, as it is illegal to own them there. There are many sweet and beautiful dogs there in need of loving homes. Also, I was thrilled to learn that they are working very hard to get to a 100% adoption rate on all adoptable dogs and cats - they are not euthanizing animals unless they are not adoptable because of behavioral or medical issues. Unfortunately, some of these animals have been in the shelter for many months. Spay, neuter, adopt, love.