Aaahhhh... Returned: Humane, Holiday Pooch Story

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2010
      TBD
      Stolen puppy Ivan returned to Washington Humane Society

      By Don Parker
      December 1, 2010 - 10:12 pm
      ABC 7 News

      308
      ABC 7 News has confirmed that the puppy stolen from the Washington Humane Society on Monday has been returned.

      Ivan, the four-month-old puppy, was returned Wednesday, said Sabrina Fang, a spokesperson for the society.

      Fang said Ivan was undergoing a medical evaluation and more details will be released Thursday.

      Watch ABC 7 News for the story and video of the puppy.

      In an earlier news release, the Washington Humane Society had reported that "Ivan was snatched from his kennel at the New York Avenue shelter early on Monday afternoon. Three suspects were caught on surveillance video taking the dog from the shelter. The individuals entered the shelter on 1201 New York Avenue, NE posing as potential adopters. Once inside the shelter the suspects took Ivan from his cage and escaped by breaking through a wooden fence behind the building"
      ###

      http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/12/stolen-puppy-ivan-returned-to-washington-humane-society-35988.html

      =============================

      --- In ward5@yahoogroups.com, "brian.ions" <brian.ions@...> wrote:

      CROSS-POST FROM MPD-SLU LISTSERV

      Our colleagues at the Washington Humane Society asked us to get the word out
      about the theft of a dog that occurred Monday. The Metropolitan Police
      Department is investigating this incident. Please see the press release the
      Humane Society put out today and a photo of the pit bull puppy. If you have any
      information about this incident, please contact the police at (202) 727-9099 or
      1-888-919-CRIME (1-888-919-2746).

      Cathy Lanier
      Chief of Police

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Date: November 30, 2010

      Media Contact: Scott Giacoppo
      Phone: 202-683-1835 or 202- 207-7257
      E-mail: sfang@...<mailto:sfang@...>
      Web site: www.washhumane.org
      <http://www.washhumane.org/>
      Ivan1
      Puppy Stolen From Adoption Center
      Washington Humane Society Offers $1000 Reward

      Washington D.C. - Four month old Ivan was snatched from his kennel at the New
      York Avenue shelter late on Monday afternoon. Three suspects were caught on
      surveillance video taking the dog from the shelter. The individuals entered the
      shelter on 1201 New York Avenue, NE posing as potential adopters. Once inside
      the shelter the suspects took Ivan from his cage and escaped by breaking through
      a wooden fence behind the building.

      The Washington Humane Society is offering a $1000 reward for Ivan's safe return.

      "This is a heartbreaking situation. Every animal in our care is a member of the
      WHS family. Ivan was waiting to go to a good home, instead he was kidnapped and
      now we have no idea what the perpetrators intend to do with him and, most
      importantly, whether he is getting the care and love he needs. His safety is our
      number one priority and we hope with the public's help, Ivan will be returned to
      us quickly, said WHS President & CEO, Lisa LaFontaine."

      WHS officials are asking anyone with information about Ivan to contact the
      Washington Humane Society/DC Animal Care and Control at 202-724-3834. Calls are
      confidential and a reward is being offered for information leading to safe
      return of Ivan. The reward is made possible through a special fund called the
      JUSTICE FUND.
      <https://secure3.convio.net/whsdc/site/Donation2?df_id=1500&1500.donation=fo\
      rm1&JServSessionIdr004=oj7udnzqn3.app333b
      >.

      http://washhumane.typepad.com/

      ---

      Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
      If you SEE something, SAY something.

      Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...
      to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.

      To learn more, visit
      http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.

      --
      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Smith, Yvonne (MPD)" <yvonne.smith@...> wrote:

      > Alert from Washington Humane Society ($1,000 Reward)
      >
      > Our colleagues at the Washington Humane Society asked us to get the word out about the theft of a dog that occurred Monday. The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating this incident. Please see the press release the Humane Society put out today and a photo of the pit bull puppy. If you have any information about this incident, please contact the police at (202) 727-9099 or 1-888-919-CRIME (1-888-919-2746).
      >
      > Cathy Lanier
      > Chief of Police

    • leslie strothers
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
        So how did he get returned? Who returned him?

        Date: November 30, 2010

        Media Contact: Scott Giacoppo
        Phone: 202-683-1835 or 202- 207-7257
        E-mail: sfang@...<mailto:sfang@...>
        Web site: www.washhumane.org
        <http://www.washhumane.org/>
        Ivan1
        Puppy Stolen From Adoption Center
        Washington Humane Society Offers $1000 Reward

        Washington D.C. - Four month old Ivan was snatched from his kennel at the New
        York Avenue shelter late on Monday afternoon. Three suspects were caught on
        surveillance video taking the dog from the shelter. The individuals entered the
        shelter on 1201 New York Avenue, NE posing as potential adopters. Once inside
        the shelter the suspects took Ivan from his cage and escaped by breaking through
        a wooden fence behind the building.

        The Washington Humane Society is offering a $1000 reward for Ivan's safe return.

        "This is a heartbreaking situation. Every animal in our care is a member of the
        WHS family. Ivan was waiting to go to a good home, instead he was kidnapped and
        now we have no idea what the perpetrators intend to do with him and, most
        importantly, whether he is getting the care and love he needs. His safety is our
        number one priority and we hope with the public's help, Ivan will be returned to
        us quickly, said WHS President & CEO, Lisa LaFontaine."

        WHS officials are asking anyone with information about Ivan to contact the
        Washington Humane Society/DC Animal Care and Control at 202-724-3834. Calls are
        confidential and a reward is being offered for information leading to safe
        return of Ivan. The reward is made possible through a special fund called the
        JUSTICE FUND.
        <https://secure3.convio.net/whsdc/site/Donation2?df_id=1500&1500.donation=fo\
        rm1&JServSessionIdr004=oj7udnzqn3.app333b
        >.

        http://washhumane.typepad.com/

        ---

        Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
        If you SEE something, SAY something.

        Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...
        to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.

        To learn more, visit
        http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.

        --
        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Smith, Yvonne (MPD)" <yvonne.smith@...> wrote:

        > Alert from Washington Humane Society ($1,000 Reward)
        >
        > Our colleagues at the Washington Humane Society asked us to get the word out about the theft of a dog that occurred Monday. The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating this incident. Please see the press release the Humane Society put out today and a photo of the pit bull puppy. If you have any information about this incident, please contact the police at (202) 727-9099 or 1-888-919-CRIME (1-888-919-2746).
        >
        > Cathy Lanier
        > Chief of Police

      • James T. Engelhardt
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
          I thought that the shelter on NY Ave did not adopt out Pits or Pit mixes.  That definitely looks like a Pit mix in the photo.  Cute little guy.

           If that is true, and I think it is, that "stealing" of the puppy was really a jailbreak to get him off of death row, no?

          Date: November 30, 2010

          Media Contact: Scott Giacoppo
          Phone: 202-683-1835 or 202- 207-7257
          E-mail: sfang@...<mailto:sfang@...>
          Web site: www.washhumane.org
          <http://www.washhumane.org/>
          Ivan1
          Puppy Stolen From Adoption Center
          Washington Humane Society Offers $1000 Reward

          Washington D.C. - Four month old Ivan was snatched from his kennel at the New
          York Avenue shelter late on Monday afternoon. Three suspects were caught on
          surveillance video taking the dog from the shelter. The individuals entered the
          shelter on 1201 New York Avenue, NE posing as potential adopters. Once inside
          the shelter the suspects took Ivan from his cage and escaped by breaking through
          a wooden fence behind the building.

          The Washington Humane Society is offering a $1000 reward for Ivan's safe return.

          "This is a heartbreaking situation. Every animal in our care is a member of the
          WHS family. Ivan was waiting to go to a good home, instead he was kidnapped and
          now we have no idea what the perpetrators intend to do with him and, most
          importantly, whether he is getting the care and love he needs. His safety is our
          number one priority and we hope with the public's help, Ivan will be returned to
          us quickly, said WHS President & CEO, Lisa LaFontaine."

          WHS officials are asking anyone with information about Ivan to contact the
          Washington Humane Society/DC Animal Care and Control at 202-724-3834. Calls are
          confidential and a reward is being offered for information leading to safe
          return of Ivan. The reward is made possible through a special fund called the
          JUSTICE FUND.
          <https://secure3.convio.net/whsdc/site/Donation2?df_id=1500&1500.donation=fo\
          rm1&JServSessionIdr004=oj7udnzqn3.app333b
          >.

          http://washhumane.typepad.com/

          ---

          Preventing terrorism is everybody's business.
          If you SEE something, SAY something.

          Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@...
          to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.

          To learn more, visit
          http://www.mpdc.dc.gov/operationtipp.

          --
          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Smith, Yvonne (MPD)" <yvonne.smith@...> wrote:

          > Alert from Washington Humane Society ($1,000 Reward)
          >
          > Our colleagues at the Washington Humane Society asked us to get the word out about the theft of a dog that occurred Monday. The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating this incident. Please see the press release the Humane Society put out today and a photo of the pit bull puppy. If you have any information about this incident, please contact the police at (202) 727-9099 or 1-888-919-CRIME (1-888-919-2746).
          >
          > Cathy Lanier
          > Chief of Police

        • Tiffany Bridge
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
            According to the shelter's website, they are actively looking for homes for many pit bulls, including this particular dog.

            -Tiffany Bridge

            On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM, James T. Engelhardt <james_engelhardt@...> wrote:

            I thought that the shelter on NY Ave did not adopt out Pits or Pit mixes.  That definitely looks like a Pit mix in the photo.  Cute little guy.

             If that is true, and I think it is, that "stealing" of the puppy was really a jailbreak to get him off of death row, no?

          • sara kaufman
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010

              The report on TV (before the pup was returned) from the humane society said (loosely paraphrased) that pit bulls are loyal dogs and depicted them as friendly (when bred and treated properly I think they said)

              On Dec 2, 2010 1:04 PM, "Tiffany Bridge" <tiffany@...> wrote:
              > According to the shelter's website, they are actively looking for homes for
              > many pit bulls, including this particular dog.
              >
              > http://support.washhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_nyavedogs
              >
              > http://washhumane.typepad.com/
              >
              > <http://support.washhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_nyavedogs>-Tiffany
              > Bridge
              >
              > On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM, James T. Engelhardt <
              > james_engelhardt@...> wrote:
              >

              >> I thought that the shelter on NY Ave did not adopt out Pits or Pit mixes.
              >> That definitely looks like a Pit mix in the photo. Cute little guy.
              >>
              >> If that is true, and I think it is, that "stealing" of the puppy was
              >> really a jailbreak to get him off of death row, no?

            • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010

                During the holiday season, we will continue to provide you with information in the form of Safety Tips and/or Real Crime Alerts from other police districts to equip you with facts to avoid victimization.  Please help MPD by forwarding these tips to other online groups, as well as friends and family.

                Thank you.

                Alerts (Below) from Commanders in the 7th Police District (Burglary Alert) and 2nd Police District (Robbery Alert).

                Yvonne Smith

                Office of Community Outreach

                MPD

                If you SEE something, SAY something.

                From: " Klein, Matthew (MPD)" <matthew.klein@...>

                Sender: MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:25:39 -0500

                To: 2d Listserve ( MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com )< MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com >

                ReplyTo: MPD-2d@yahoogroups.com

                Subject: [MPD-2d] ***Robbery Alert***

                Yesterday evening, a woman walked out of the Apple Store in the 1200 block of Wisconsin Avenue, NW after purchasing 2 laptop computers.  A short time and distance later, while walking from the store to the 3300 block of N Street NW, the woman was robbed by 2 suspects.  She was forcefully knocked down to the ground and both suspects escaped with the computers.

                I think it’s safe to assume that the victim was followed from the store.  The suspects may have been waiting for someone to leave the store with large bags or other obvious indications of a large purchase.

                I have placed additional officers in the area and PSA 206 managers are discussing further precautions with the store.

                As most of you know, this time of year is a favorite for criminals.  They know we’re out shopping and probably not paying much attention to our surroundings.  Please make sure to be aware of what’s going on around you; never leave valuables in your cars; and use common sense when leaving stores with large packages.  If you see anyone acting suspiciously, call 911 immediately.

                  Regards,

                Commander Matt Klein

                DC Metropolitan Police Department

                Second District

                (202) 730-1901

              • James T. Engelhardt
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Thank you for that, Tiffany.  I should've looked before I asked.

                  The reason I thought I was right is that my wife volunteered there, at the NY Ave Shelter, probably 5 years ago, and they had a policy at the time that they wouldn't adopt out pit bulls or pit mixes.

                  Glad to see that they changed that policy.  Though, on the other hand, I hope that they screen prospective dog adopters well, as these dogs, when in the wrong hands, can be dangerous.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                    I volunteer there now and they do adopt out pit bulls. However, they will not adopt out pit bulls to individuals who live in PG County, as it is illegal to own them there. There are many sweet and beautiful dogs there in need of loving homes. Also, I was thrilled to learn that they are working very hard to get to a 100% adoption rate on all adoptable dogs and cats - they are not euthanizing animals unless they are not adoptable because of behavioral or medical issues. Unfortunately, some of these animals have been in the shelter for many months. Spay, neuter, adopt, love.