Re: [MPD-5D] Re: Assistant Chief of Police Diane Groomes

  • Dean Christakos
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2010

      On Nov 20, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...> wrote:

        Identified mistakes, no matter the level, and then taking responsibility, being accountable for your actions, shows a lot about a person's character.

      I think there is a misunderstanding here. A "mistake" is something like a good faith decision that turned out to be the wrong one or perhaps something that was overlooked which later turned out to have a negative impact down the road. "Cheating" on the other hand, is a purposeful, freely chosen form of dishonesty.

      The  sign of good character isn't the ability to concede your guilt after you are caught-- good character is being trustworthy and honest in the first place. Trustworthy and honest people are the ones we can depend on to give another chance to for simple mistakes, because we know we can take them at their word. That doesn't apply to liars and cheaters. Obviously from the outpouring of support we have heard, she was good at certain aspects of her job, but clearly the level of responsibility she was given exceeded the amount she could be trusted with.