Door to door scam "Guy with a key broken in a lock."

  • Carleh Ward
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2006
      Last night, we had a gentleman come to our door with a story about being
      from the big Baptist church across the street and having "broken his key in
      the lock." I was in the doorway of our house with our nine week old daughter
      and partner inside. I looked him in the eye and asked how I could help. He
      told the story about breaking his key.

      My partner recognized he was pulling a scam from the Brookland list serve
      and pulled me back inside the house and we called 311. The police were very
      glad we called and said I actually gave the first detailed description of
      the guy. They had gotten a report on him the night before and were
      canvassing the area trying to apprehend him. I was very impressed with both
      officers.

      If this person was from the church, I would have been happy to call his
      pastor and put him in touch with assistance. It was obvious he wasn't. In
      fact, he went deeper onto our porch and tried to look in our windows when we
      told him we couldn't help him. He lingered on our porch for a few minutes.
      He also kept looking back over his shoulder as he walked up the street.

      This person happened to be a black male about 35- 40 years old, overweight,
      wearing a brown tweed cap, black leather (or leather like) jacket, dark grey
      pants and black shoes. He had a scruffy mustache and weighed about 260 lbs,
      and he was carrying a white plastic bag, like from CVS. I looked him in the
      eye and got a full 3 minutes to take in his features.

      The two officers who came for the report (within 15 minutes) were grateful
      to have citizens reporting this guy. They gave the impression they have been
      looking for him on a regular basis and have not been able to find him as he
      knows the neighborhood well.

      I hope if the guy I have described above approaches you with a similar
      story, you will take the time to report him. The police will be appreciative
      and it will give them a pattern of the streets he is canvassing,

      Carleh Ward
      Rhode Island Ave
    • Henderson, Kathy (DYRS)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2006
        Good Morning Ms. Ward,

        I applaud your actions. When citizens get involved like you and your partner
        and actually reach out to the police, it really helps to reduce the crime
        rate in our neighborhoods. I encourage everyone to report all suspicious
        activity to our police partners. Each day more of my neighbors are joining
        the fight against crime by becoming vigilant and calling the police and it
        is making a real difference.

        Additionally, I will include the information you provided in my newsletter,
        so that this individual will not victimize any of my neighbors. Thank you
        again.

        Sincerely,

        Kathy Henderson, 5B10

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • dan.williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2006
          I had the same guy knock on my door (1200 Block of 16th Street) about
          2 weeks ago. He said that he was from Baltimore and that he worked
          (janitor) at the Webb Elementary and that he needed money ($20) for a
          tow truck because his car wouldn't start. I immediately recognized
          this as a scam (What tow truck costs $20?).

          Please beware of this individual.