Re: Shooting last night/Troublesome buildings--What can we do?

  • baringlake
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
      area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
      people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're related.

      I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
      2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
      It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
      once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign), but
      it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
      advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
      Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
      anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
      inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
      have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
      the metro tracks.

      Jen

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
      <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
      > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

      What can we
      > do?
      >
      > We're showing this a robbery hold up gun at approximately 12:43
      a.m. When
      > the complainant advised that he didn't have any money, the
      suspects (3 b/m's
      > 18-20 years) old, directed him to take off his clothes. The
      complainant was
      > then told to run and a number of gunshots were fired with none
      taking
      > effect. One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is
      currently being
      > processed. I'll provide additional details as they become
      available.

      > Captain Patrick A. Burke
      > Fifth District, MPDC
      > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
      >
      > Office: 202 727-4488
      > Pager: 888 523-7099

    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

        <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
        > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
          If someone can give me the exact address of the building I will invite the
          owner to the next landlord roundtable meeting. I'm not driving right now;
          otherwise, I would visit the location to get it.

          <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
          > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • k_fw
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 21, 2005
            "One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is currently being
            processed. I'll provide additional details as they become available."

            What was the result of the investigation into this car? Was it
            stolen? Was the owner of the car or the driver able to provide any
            more information about this shooting?

            Thanks,
            Kristen

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

          • baringlake
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 19, 2005
              Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
              As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses in
              the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
              fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
              area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
              graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
              prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a known
              drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week ago.

              I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
              I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
              warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
              NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600 block
              of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
              shop.

              The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
              LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001) is
              the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for lease"
              sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-6300.
              Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
              information seems to match.

              I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti removal
              (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
              secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617). I
              also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know he's
              leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500 block
              of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to the
              warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so I
              asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if Sgt.
              Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
              assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
              my service requests?

              Thanks so much!
              Jen

              <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
              > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
              information to DCRA as well.

              > Captain Patrick A. Burke
              > Fifth District, MPDC
              > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
              >
              > Office: 202 727-4488
              > Pager: 888 523-7099

              What can we do?

              > Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
              > area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
              > people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're
              related.

              > I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
              > 2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
              > It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
              > once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign),
              but
              > it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
              > advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
              > Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
              > anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
              > inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
              > have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
              > the metro tracks.
              >
              > Jen
              >
              > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
              > <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
              > > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street?
              Thanks.

            • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                information to DCRA as well.

                > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                > Fifth District, MPDC
                > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                >
                > Office: 202 727-4488
                > Pager: 888 523-7099

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                  Jen,

                  Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable" meetings with 5D
                  to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for addressing
                  crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not comply
                  they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil Forfeiture".
                  Initially I invited property owners in my single member district. We are
                  experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other areas. I am
                  happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.

                  Sincerely,

                  Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                  <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                  > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                  information to DCRA as well.

                  > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                  > Fifth District, MPDC
                  > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                  >
                  > Office: 202 727-4488
                  > Pager: 888 523-7099

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                    <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                    > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                    information to DCRA as well.

                    > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                    > Fifth District, MPDC
                    > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                    >
                    > Office: 202 727-4488
                    > Pager: 888 523-7099

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • baringlake
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                      Ms. Henderson,
                      Thanks so much for inviting them to the Landlord Roundtable. Let me
                      know if you need any further information for me for it.

                      <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                      > Jen,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                      meetings with 5D
                      > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                      addressing
                      > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                      comply
                      > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                      Forfeiture".
                      > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                      We are
                      > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                      areas. I am
                      > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                      Behalf Of
                      > baringlake
                      > Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:25 PM
                      > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St
                      NE

                      > Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                      > As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses
                      in
                      > the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
                      > fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
                      > area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
                      > graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
                      > prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a
                      known
                      > drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week
                      ago.

                      > I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
                      > I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
                      > warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
                      > NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600
                      block
                      > of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
                      > shop.
                      >
                      > The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
                      > LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001)
                      is
                      > the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for
                      lease"
                      > sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-
                      6300.
                      > Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
                      > information seems to match.
                      >
                      > I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti
                      removal
                      > (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
                      > secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617).
                      > also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know
                      he's
                      > leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500
                      block
                      > of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to
                      the
                      > warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so
                      > asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if
                      Sgt.
                      > Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
                      > assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
                      > my service requests?
                      >
                      > Thanks so much!
                      > Jen
                      >
                      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
                      > <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                      > > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                      > information to DCRA as well.
                      > >
                      > > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                      > > Fifth District, MPDC
                      > > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                      > >
                      > > Office: 202 727-4488
                      > > Pager: 888 523-7099

                    • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                        Great, thanks.

                        <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                        > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                        information to DCRA as well.

                        > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                        > Fifth District, MPDC
                        > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                        >
                        > Office: 202 727-4488
                        > Pager: 888 523-7099

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • gwensouth@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                          Kathy,

                          Just wanted to tell you that your implementation of the "Landlord's Roundtable" is absolutely the best solution to many of the crime problems in our communities.  What I've found is that the landlord, an important element in the problem solving, is most often unwilling to become a party to the process of solving crimes that emanate from their property.

                          Your solution will compel them to come forth as a partner in ridding problematic and criminal tenants, and their guests, from their property.  This is especially effective in the case of Section 8 housing properties, as they are funded by the federal and local governments.

                          Please keep me posted as to how this process of "Civil Forfeiture" works and could you share with me where I can find legal information about this process.  Thanks for your good works and keep it up.

                          Gwen Southerland

                          <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                          > Jen,
                          >
                          > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                          meetings with 5D
                          > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                          addressing
                          > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                          comply
                          > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                          Forfeiture".
                          > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                          We are
                          > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                          areas. I am
                          > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          >
                          > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                          Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                          'Thanks & Giving.'
                        • baringlake
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6 5:51 PM
                            Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                            I wanted to follow-up on this posting from this spring, as there have
                            been some updates. This is regarding the empty warehouses at 805
                            Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place NE, and 809 Channing Place NE.
                            They are right off of the 2500-2600 block of Reed St NE, near the
                            Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform shop in the 900 block of
                            Rhode Island NE.

                            When I originally contacted this list-serve, I had mentioned that the
                            fencing around the warehouses had been pulled aside, allowing drug
                            users and prostitutes to get in. With the help of this list-serve, the
                            fencing was repaired, and that seemed to keep down the number of
                            people roaming around those warehouses.

                            Unfortunately, someone has opened up the fencing to this warehouse.
                            This isn't just someone pulling it down this time. Someone unlocked
                            the gates and left the warehouses wide open. I have seen the fencing
                            open at all times of day -- morning, afternoon and night. At the very
                            least, this is a danger to the children next door at Calvary Christian
                            Academy. It's also starting to attract drug users and prostitutes
                            again, who can now enter the warehouse with ease.

                            I had also made a request to the city last spring that the graffiti be
                            removed, especially since there appear to be some gang markings. I
                            didn't see graffiti removed, so I made another request last week.

                            The folks on the list-serve had been helpful in securing the
                            warehouses last spring, so I'm hoping that I can get some help in
                            making the owner re-secure the warehouse and possibly allow the city
                            to clean up the graffiti that is all over the warehouses.

                            As for the owner, the building is owned by a company called "Jemal's
                            Channing Place LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON
                            DC 20001) is the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a
                            "for lease" sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at
                            202-638-6300.

                            Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson, could you look into this and reach
                            out to the owner again?

                            Thanks so much,
                            Jen