Traffic Stop on Saturday night – Citizen Rights

  • tomekagueory
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      Greetings.

      On Saturday night, I was driving home with my children, aged 13 and 2. I approached 4th street NE with my left turn blinker on. There was a car facing me turning left, so I had to pause and look for oncoming cars before turning. There were no other cars behind that vehicle. I turned and swerved slightly to avoid the median. I was pulled over. I don't get stopped often, and have no criminal history, so I was very shaken and unnerved by the entire incident. The officer turned on the bright search light, which frightened my daughters. He approached immediately asking me for registration. I told him that my license and registration were in my purse (he granted me the time to retrieve it) and I had to search for my insurance card. I asked him if he could tell me my offense, of which he indicated that he couldn't tell me anything until he ran my information. I didn't protest, because of the time and everything was happening so quickly. The officer returned and told me that I failed to yield to oncoming traffic. He then asked me several times about the age of my oldest daughter (she's underage). I complied and gave him her age, but the question seemed very inappropriate as he still asked me several times. I did not protest, but what are the rights of citizens when being stopped? What can I do now that I have this ticket? Don't officers run your tag before approaching the car? why would the officer ask the age of my daughter?

      Thanks in advance.
    • Thembi Butler
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
        I had a similar experience a year or two ago. I wasn't unnerved so much as I felt that a reason to pull me over had been contrived.

        We lived on 2nd ST NE which is a one-way street, and since we're typically returning from a point south, we have to make 4 right turns (basically driving in a big circle, which apparently makes us suspicious looking) to reach our home. The 4th right is onto our one-way street and puts us in a position to park almost immediately upon making the turn.

        One evening returning home, I began to make the 4th right (there wasn't another car anywhere in sight), and noticed a cat on the sidewalk, identical to one of our cats. I pulled right to the side at a slight angle so that my pre-schoolers could get a look, but didn't park completely since I planned to pull forward several feet. I was promptly pulled over for failing to signal (well, I wasn't pulled over, I was already parked in front of my house at that point).

        While I admittedly didn't signal (I was going the ONLY way that I could have gone without driving the wrong way down a one way street or driving straight into a concrete retaining wall, pretty safe bet that no car on the road should have been surprised by the turn - I was turning since I HAD to turn, and the signal to turn would have been indistinguisable from a signal to park), I don't think the failure to signal was the problem, I think it was just an excuse to check out a car that the officer found suspicious before seeing who was in the car.

        My husband was stopped more than once after parking in front of our house - solely because he'd just made 4 rights and the person stopping him thought he was casing the neighborhood.

        I appreciate the vigilance, but it would be nice to see the people flying down 2nd street at speeds in excess of 50mph stopped once in a while as well. They may not look especially suspicious, but they are endangering everyone in their paths.

        Thembi

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
          Thank you for your comments! I was going pretty slow, but there were plenty of cars flying! I have since tried alternative routes for getting home (especially at that time of night).