Washington Times: Church double parking

  • Sonya Harway
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2006
      In the Washington Times today, there was an article saying that police
      in NW DC are going to start enforcing parking laws on Sundays near
      some churches famous for their parishioners' habit of double-parking.
      I am curious to hear if and when other police districts will deal with
      this problem. It certainly plagues our neighborhood just as it does in
      NW! I live very close to Rhode Island Ave within the vicinity of
      several "super churches," where people frequently double park, in
      addition to parking in bus stops, in and around intersections, in
      front of fire hydrants, etc. I DO NOT want to open up a can of worms,
      as I know this issue was discussed on the Brookland listserv awhile
      back, but I am genuinely curious to see if and when 5D will follow
      suit.

      http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20060110-122728-7798r.htm

      -Sonya
      (10th and Douglas)
    • Greene, Jennifer (MPD)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2006
        5D has dealt with the double parking issue, several times over the years, with several churches on Bladensburg Road and in old 5D that is now 1D. The process for resolution begins with meetings involving the churches, and the community to try and work out an amicable solution for both neighbors to coexist. As long as the resolution does not create a traffic hazard, we (the Police Department) will normally relax enforcement around churches. According to news sources, as that is where I also heard the story, several churches had come up with a plan for parking that obviously was not working, community residents got involved and solicited that police district for help. I am not sure of the outcome, as most often the church parking issues are addressed by each Church & Community.