Re: [MPD-5D] Digest Number 269

  • gwensouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
      Hi Pat...it's great to hear from you and to see that you are still "carrying on" in the community.  I hope COSTA will do an outreach, especially to those who live in the area of the center.  I know how the word "ex-offender" strikes fear in the hearts of many, but it is my sincere prayer and hope that these ex-offenders are willing to take full responsibility for their citizenship and to become productive members of society.

      Gwen Southerland

      In a message dated 01/06/2006 2:48:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, etirainc_rogerlinetimes@... writes:
      Hello all and Happy New Year,

      Gwen,

      I did receive a call about the CSOSA and did suggest a huge outreach effort. I was told that some type of open house was going to held this month. I have spreaded the word in Edgewood.

      Pat Fisher
      MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Clean water saves lives. Help make water safe for our children.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/CHhStB/VREMAA/E2hLAA/aRSolB/TM

      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Amanda Sweet is out for rest of week
      From: asweet@...
      2. Re: 900 Rhode Island
      From: gwensouth@...
      3. Neighborhood News
      From: TheolaLabbé

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:51:12 -0500
      From: asweet@...
      Subject: Amanda Sweet is out for rest of week

      I will be out of the office starting 01/04/2006 and will not return until
      01/09/2006.

      Hey folks, I will be out of the office this week at CES - if you need to
      reach me please call my cell at 347-564-3371. I will check my email
      once/day.

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:36:00 EST
      From: gwensouth@...
      Subject: Re: 900 Rhode Island

      Jackie,

      This is exactly my concern as well. CSOSA did not post on the Brookland
      Listserv their intentions for this site. They used the MPD-5D site, and many
      Brooklanders are probably not familiar with it. When I read about the office on
      the MPD-5D listserv, I cut and pasted the posting to Brookland, Suzanne did not
      post it, but instead sent me an email saying that I did not "sign" my
      posting. To this day, I have no idea of what she meant, but I do know that she
      monitors and she decides which messages will be posted to Brookland's listserv.

      I was concerned when I first learned about this CSOSA office/center because
      for years they have been looking for a Center in Ward 5. Ex-offenders attend
      these centers to speak with their parole officer and to take drug tests. Each
      time CSOSA tried to open a new center in ward 5, it was protested by the
      community. This time, they were very quiet about it. I know that officials of
      CSOSA do read the ward 5 listservs, however, they refused to respond and give
      more detailed information about what services will be provided, simply telling me
      to contact them directly.

      Because this office/center is located at the Rhode Island Avenue Metro, all
      Ward 5 residents need to have specific information as to who and what services
      will be provided at 900 Rhode Island Avenue, NE.

      I will send out another post to them on the MPD site and ask them to respond,
      particularly on the Brookland listserv, as this office/center is located in
      Brookland.

      Gwen

      In a message dated 01/04/2006 11:14:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      jayoung@... writes:
      Gwen, I am very concerned about the ex offender site on Rhode island
      Ave. If hundreds of ex offenders are coming there, many, if not most,
      will be using the metro. I am very concerned for the safety of my
      children, who ride the metro to and from school. I am willing to bet
      that soon that block will be a drug den. I thought we were all trying
      to clean up Brookland and the surrounding area. Help us. Jackie

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:01:30 -0500
      From: TheolaLabbé
      Subject: Neighborhood News

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/04/AR2006010400757.html

      Let Us Know
      Thursday, January 5, 2006; Page DZ02

      The District Extra wants to know what your Advisory Neighborhood Commission
      or community civic association is doing. We are seeking news reports
      submitted by neighborhood organizations about activities in District
      neighborhoods.

      Is your group taking a stand against a business selling liquor? Let us
      know. Is your group protesting the location of a government building in
      your "back yard"? Let us know. Is your group cleaning a park, working with
      seniors or youths, or providing a new service to residents? Let us know.

      The reports should be about 250 words long. The author's name and day and
      evening contact information, including e-mail addresses, must be provided.
      The names and contact information of the officers of the organization
      should be included for confirmation purposes. The contact information is
      not counted in the 250-word limit.

      Send the reports to The District Extra by e-mail to dcextra@... .
      We also take reports by letter or fax at the address and number in the "How
      to Reach Us" box on this page. All reports will be edited. Please display
      "Neighborhood News" in the subject line of e-mail and prominently in any
      letter or fax.

      For more information, call Timothy Wilson at 202-334-7251.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/