Re: 900 Rhode Island

  • terri_west_of_tracks
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
      Ms. Gwensouth,

      As far as I know efforts still continue to "clean up" Brookland. CSOSA
      can only help improve the area. Daily ex-offenders take the New York
      Avenue/Gallaudet Metro stop to get to the office at 25 K Street, NE.
      Is Ms. Young concerned about these ex-offenders, too? If so, her
      children must be encountering them daily. Both NY Ave/Gallaudet and
      Brookland are Red Line Metro stops.

      Fortunately, businesses like Manna along Reed Street are doing
      productive things in that area of Rhode Island Avenue. Someone pointed
      out this press release from Earth Day 2005. The CSOSA ex-offender
      office can only help with the improvement.

      Manna and Reed Street NE

      Businesses Celebrate Earth Day with Reed Street NE Clean-up Project

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      DATE: April 20, 2005
      CONTACT: Joni Lynch, Director of Corporate Development (202) 832-1845 x223
      Manna, Inc.
      www.mannadc.org

      Washington, D.C. – At 2 p.m. on Friday, April 22nd, Manna, Inc., one
      of the District's leading non-profit affordable housing developers,
      will join forces with other businesses located along Reed Street NE to
      help clean up their trash-strewn street in honor of Earth Day 2005.
      Please note attached flyer. Manna will provide shovels, rakes, brooms,
      trash bags, and water to all who participate, and gardening gloves as
      needed.

      Located only a block away from the Rhode Island Avenue Metro station,
      Reed Street is home to a variety of businesses and community
      organizations, including Manna, Community Connections, Old Town
      Trolley Tours of D.C., Jimmie Muscatello's Washington Uniform Center,
      Calvary Christian Academy, and an assortment of auto repair and
      welding businesses.

      Despite its name, Reed Street retains the official status of "alley"
      and is also home to several vacant buildings and brownfields, lending
      further to the need to maintain a litter-free environment when
      possible. Manna welcomes all residents and businesses in the community
      to participate in this event and hopes that it will serve as a model
      for others to replicate in their own neighborhoods.

      Source: http://www.mannadc.org/mediacenter/pressreleases.htm

      From,

      Terri on 7th Street

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:

      > Jackie,
      >
      > This is exactly my concern as well. CSOSA did not post on the
      Brookland
      > Listserv their intentions for this site. They used the MPD-5D site,
      and many
      > Brooklanders are probably not familiar with it. When I read about
      the office on
      > the MPD-5D listserv, I cut and pasted the posting to Brookland,
      Suzanne did not
      > post it, but instead sent me an email saying that I did not "sign" my
      > posting. To this day, I have no idea of what she meant, but I do
      know that she
      > monitors and she decides which messages will be posted to
      Brookland's listserv.

      > I was concerned when I first learned about this CSOSA office/center
      because
      > for years they have been looking for a Center in Ward 5.
      Ex-offenders attend
      > these centers to speak with their parole officer and to take drug
      tests. Each
      > time CSOSA tried to open a new center in ward 5, it was protested by
      the
      > community. This time, they were very quiet about it. I know that
      officials of
      > CSOSA do read the ward 5 listservs, however, they refused to respond
      and give
      > more detailed information about what services will be provided,
      simply telling me
      > to contact them directly.
      >
      > Because this office/center is located at the Rhode Island Avenue
      Metro, all
      > Ward 5 residents need to have specific information as to who and
      what services
      > will be provided at 900 Rhode Island Avenue, NE.
      >
      > I will send out another post to them on the MPD site and ask them to
      respond,
      > particularly on the Brookland listserv, as this office/center is
      located in
      > Brookland.
      >
      > Gwen
      >

      > In a message dated 01/04/2006 11:14:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > jayoung@n... writes:
      > Gwen, I am very concerned about the ex offender site on Rhode island
      > Ave. If hundreds of ex offenders are coming there, many, if not most,
      > will be using the metro. I am very concerned for the safety of my
      > children, who ride the metro to and from school. I am willing to bet
      > that soon that block will be a drug den. I thought we were all trying
      > to clean up Brookland and the surrounding area. Help us. Jackie

    • erheramb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2006
        neighborhood was mailed information and information was given at PSA
        meetings. Also, Ms. Rayseen Woodland (ANC Commissioner) was very
        much a part of getting CSOSA in the neighborhood so you can, also,
        thank her! Although I am not fond of the idea, it is here for now
        and, to try and look on the bright side, at least there is something
        going in on an empty building which will hopefully bring more stores
        on RIA since all of the government workers will probably get sick of
        eating at Giant.
        Peace,
        Erin
        10th