Re: 900 Rhode Island

  • gwensouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2006
      Jackie,

      This is exactly my concern as well.  CSOSA did not post on the Brookland Listserv their intentions for this site.  They used the MPD-5D site, and many Brooklanders are probably not familiar with it.  When I read about the office on the MPD-5D listserv, I cut and pasted the posting to Brookland, Suzanne did not post it, but instead sent me an email saying that I did not "sign" my posting.  To this day, I have no idea of what she meant, but I do know that she monitors and she decides which messages will be posted to Brookland's listserv.

      I was concerned when I first learned about this CSOSA office/center because for years they have been looking for a Center in Ward 5. Ex-offenders attend these centers to speak with their parole officer and to take drug tests.   Each time CSOSA tried to open a new center in ward 5, it was protested by the community.  This time, they were very quiet about it.  I know that officials of CSOSA do read the ward 5 listservs, however, they refused to respond and give more detailed information about what services will be provided, simply telling me to contact them directly.

      Because this office/center is located at the Rhode Island Avenue Metro, all Ward 5 residents need to have specific information as to who and what services will be provided at 900 Rhode Island Avenue, NE.

      I will send out another post to them on the MPD site and ask them to respond, particularly on the Brookland listserv, as this office/center is located in Brookland.

      Gwen

      In a message dated 01/04/2006 11:14:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, jayoung@... writes:
      Gwen, I am very concerned about the ex offender site on Rhode island
      Ave. If hundreds of ex offenders are coming there, many, if not most,
      will be using the metro. I am very concerned for the safety of my
      children, who ride the metro to and from school. I am willing to bet
      that soon that block will be a drug den. I thought we were all trying
      to clean up Brookland and the surrounding area. Help us. Jackie
    • terri_west_of_tracks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
        Ms. Gwensouth,

        As far as I know efforts still continue to "clean up" Brookland. CSOSA
        can only help improve the area. Daily ex-offenders take the New York
        Avenue/Gallaudet Metro stop to get to the office at 25 K Street, NE.
        Is Ms. Young concerned about these ex-offenders, too? If so, her
        children must be encountering them daily. Both NY Ave/Gallaudet and
        Brookland are Red Line Metro stops.

        Fortunately, businesses like Manna along Reed Street are doing
        productive things in that area of Rhode Island Avenue. Someone pointed
        out this press release from Earth Day 2005. The CSOSA ex-offender
        office can only help with the improvement.

        Manna and Reed Street NE

        Businesses Celebrate Earth Day with Reed Street NE Clean-up Project

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        DATE: April 20, 2005
        CONTACT: Joni Lynch, Director of Corporate Development (202) 832-1845 x223
        Manna, Inc.
        www.mannadc.org

        Washington, D.C. – At 2 p.m. on Friday, April 22nd, Manna, Inc., one
        of the District's leading non-profit affordable housing developers,
        will join forces with other businesses located along Reed Street NE to
        help clean up their trash-strewn street in honor of Earth Day 2005.
        Please note attached flyer. Manna will provide shovels, rakes, brooms,
        trash bags, and water to all who participate, and gardening gloves as
        needed.

        Located only a block away from the Rhode Island Avenue Metro station,
        Reed Street is home to a variety of businesses and community
        organizations, including Manna, Community Connections, Old Town
        Trolley Tours of D.C., Jimmie Muscatello's Washington Uniform Center,
        Calvary Christian Academy, and an assortment of auto repair and
        welding businesses.

        Despite its name, Reed Street retains the official status of "alley"
        and is also home to several vacant buildings and brownfields, lending
        further to the need to maintain a litter-free environment when
        possible. Manna welcomes all residents and businesses in the community
        to participate in this event and hopes that it will serve as a model
        for others to replicate in their own neighborhoods.

        Source: http://www.mannadc.org/mediacenter/pressreleases.htm

        From,

        Terri on 7th Street

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, gwensouth@a... wrote:

        > Jackie,
        >
        > This is exactly my concern as well. CSOSA did not post on the
        Brookland
        > Listserv their intentions for this site. They used the MPD-5D site,
        and many
        > Brooklanders are probably not familiar with it. When I read about
        the office on
        > the MPD-5D listserv, I cut and pasted the posting to Brookland,
        Suzanne did not
        > post it, but instead sent me an email saying that I did not "sign" my
        > posting. To this day, I have no idea of what she meant, but I do
        know that she
        > monitors and she decides which messages will be posted to
        Brookland's listserv.

        > I was concerned when I first learned about this CSOSA office/center
        because
        > for years they have been looking for a Center in Ward 5.
        Ex-offenders attend
        > these centers to speak with their parole officer and to take drug
        tests. Each
        > time CSOSA tried to open a new center in ward 5, it was protested by
        the
        > community. This time, they were very quiet about it. I know that
        officials of
        > CSOSA do read the ward 5 listservs, however, they refused to respond
        and give
        > more detailed information about what services will be provided,
        simply telling me
        > to contact them directly.
        >
        > Because this office/center is located at the Rhode Island Avenue
        Metro, all
        > Ward 5 residents need to have specific information as to who and
        what services
        > will be provided at 900 Rhode Island Avenue, NE.
        >
        > I will send out another post to them on the MPD site and ask them to
        respond,
        > particularly on the Brookland listserv, as this office/center is
        located in
        > Brookland.
        >
        > Gwen
        >

        > In a message dated 01/04/2006 11:14:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > jayoung@n... writes:
        > Gwen, I am very concerned about the ex offender site on Rhode island
        > Ave. If hundreds of ex offenders are coming there, many, if not most,
        > will be using the metro. I am very concerned for the safety of my
        > children, who ride the metro to and from school. I am willing to bet
        > that soon that block will be a drug den. I thought we were all trying
        > to clean up Brookland and the surrounding area. Help us. Jackie

      • erheramb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2006
          neighborhood was mailed information and information was given at PSA
          meetings. Also, Ms. Rayseen Woodland (ANC Commissioner) was very
          much a part of getting CSOSA in the neighborhood so you can, also,
          thank her! Although I am not fond of the idea, it is here for now
          and, to try and look on the bright side, at least there is something
          going in on an empty building which will hopefully bring more stores
          on RIA since all of the government workers will probably get sick of
          eating at Giant.
          Peace,
          Erin
          10th