Re: [MPD-5D]

  • Steve Rynecki
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
      There will always be poverty in a capitalist society. Welfare shouldn't be a livlihood. There should be more common sense policies, etc. Poor or not, black or white - there is right and wrong and pouring ones urine on someone riding a bike is a crime. Being a product of the projects is not an excuse.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 30, 2010, at 11:37 PM, <zomora@...> wrote:

      I am saddened to find such unfortunate opinions submitted on this listserv. Mr Conn observations are ridiculous. To suggest that women have babies to gain more funding from government programs is most unfortunate. Poverty and the effects of poverty on our society are much more complex topics and require thoughtful analysis and discussion.

      Should we spend equal time discussing reality of white supremacy and racism that continue to produces the chronic inequities in our society. Why is a public school in upper NW equipped with the finest resources and schools in the inner city equipped with the worse resources. Many other examples of this phenomenon can be cited. Poverty creates an environment that breeds this dysfunctional behavior.

      I encourage a more thoughtful and reasoned dialogue regarding the problems of our youth. I suggest we spend some time with the work of Jonathan Kozol (among others)to better understand the challenges of our neighbors. Then develop effective solutions that combat poverty.

    • Stephen C Schwartz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
        Maybe we could all read For Us, the Living, and defeat the problem using an
        operational version of the economic system Heinlein so delicately explains which
        eradicates the idea of class warfare by revealing the fundamental truth that
        we're all actually not that different.