Re: [MPD-5D] yet another mbt assault and possibly inadequate dispatcher/police response

  • SH
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29 9:32 AM
      This is freakin crazy!!!!! Time and time again, there is new development going on all over town, yet the implementation of hiring youth to be waiters, guest greeters, assistants, etc, are not even in the discussions. (And we wonder why crime is the way it is.) The young people are bored, penniless and desperate. So many people are afraid to reach out, scared they are going to lose their government job if they, for once in ther lives, think outside the box and take a leap of faith by reaching out to a youngin. This city is pathetic. What is MPD doing as far as working with youth at rec centers, community events, mentor programs. How many names and faces of young people who are regulars out on the streets MPD know? How many MPD officers know the parents of these rifrafs? Can we as a community do something and step up to the plate because pretty soon Blackwater will be marching the streets thinning out the herd.
      Peace, SH

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29 11:11 AM
        Saleem,

        Your allegations of crime increasing due to youth not being hired in the restaurant industry (or other jobs) caught my attention.  My attention further piqued when you inexplicably placed blame on the police for not properly raising children, rather than where it belongs.

        As a local restaurant owner, I've attempted many times to hire local youths (and adults) and provide job training as servers, dishwashers, or whatever position fits their skill sets and interest.  Restaurant work isn't all fun and games, and it's been particularly difficult to find young, motivated individuals who are dependable, respectful, show up to work on time, and willing to put in a full day's work.  If you know of youth who are indeed dependable, respectful, show up to work on time, and willing to put in a full day's work, please let me know by e-mailing matt@....

        As someone who's worked since the age of 12 to earn what he's gotten, it's very disappointing that many youth haven't been raised to have the same level of determination.  Furthermore, I don't think it's at all proper or fair for people to place blame on the police for children not having respect, work ethic, and determination; those are skills that I (and others) seem to have learned at home.

        Thanks,

        Matt Ashburn
        Capital City Diner
        Washington, DC

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29 6:31 PM
          First and foremost, regardless of what ones' economic status is, does not give them the right to attack anyone just because.  Second, if the youth who are committing these acts would take the initiative to get help, it is available.  Finally, you can lead a horse to water but....

          'No new truth is ever really learned until acted upon'
          John Powell, S.J.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30 3:51 AM
            I concur that there is no excuse.  Some people want to blame it on economics,  some on the lack of social programs.  But, at the end of the day,  it comes down to the moral decision to do right or wrong.  Everyone has good and bad days in their lives.  But some go out and commit horrible crimes that effect people for the rest of their lives without conscience. It boils down to a total disregard for other, and a lack of respect for our fellow man.
            There is no excuse and I am one that is just tired of the many excuses that some continue to offer up for people that commit these crimes.
            Put them in jail and let them find remorse and learn to live better lives.

            Keith

            --

            Keep a green tree alive in your heart and a songbird may come to sing there.

            Chinese Proverb

            Keith Jarrell
            Cell (202) 288-1867
            Fax (202) 315-2559
          • Keith Jarrell
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30 4:03 AM
              911/311 services continue to be a disaster under Janice Quintana. Her leadership and method of training and installing the ridiculous protocol's have cut into the effectiveness of of the service that was designed to be our point of contact for emergency's.
              They treat situations like you are calling for a new cell phone battery or something other than an emergency.  Mayor Fenty needs to do the right thing and fire Quinatna and get someone in the Office of Unified Communications that can and will set standards,  and discipline the staff so that they know first and foremost that they must work at the standards set forth or else.
              This department has been the cause of numerous complications over the last 3+ years.  I had an emergency a year ago where 5 men were beating and kicking another man in the alley behind my house.  The man was literally on the ground being kicked and beaten to the point that he was disorientated and confused.
              911 after me giving the address two times clearly and correctly sent the police to the wrong address.  It was a disgusting experience for me and one can only imagine how the man being beaten must have felt.
              Noting more than excuses was offered.  MPD initially got the blame and after an investigation it was determined that 911 gave the wrong address to MPD thus the police could never have known where the incident was taking place.
              It is inexcusable in my opinion and Janice Quintana's termination is the only way to correct the many problems that continue to plague the system.

              Keith Jarrell

              --

              Keep a green tree alive in your heart and a songbird may come to sing there.

              Chinese Proverb

              Keith Jarrell
              Cell (202) 288-1867
              Fax (202) 315-2559
            • Quintana, Janice (OUC)
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30 4:58 AM
                Keith, police were dispatched and did arrive at the location quickly. The 911 and 311 employees continue to provide quality service. Over the years you and I have had many conversations regarding your concerns and your behavior towards the OUC employees. And your feedback has been taken seriously.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30 7:00 AM
                  After reading the thread concerning "yet another mbt assault and possibly inadequate dispatcher/police response", can anyone provide information concerning the current law in the District? Can anyone provide a brief description or internet link to law that holds parents or guardians responsible for the criminal action of children? If this type of law is absent, and the majority agrees that it would be helpful, it would be the responsibility of the District residents to press the District government to apply a new law.

                  I am requesting this information about DC law, based upon the presumption that while it takes a village to raise a child, it starts with a parent.

                  Jon
                  NW DC
                • DeBorah Steiner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30 9:25 AM

                    I have personally asked at large councilmember Phil Mendelson about this issue, and he claims, a law of that type will not help the problems that we are facing with the out of control kids.  Also, he refuses to push for stronger laws regarding individuals who are arrested by the police, possessing marijuana only, who get a free pass.  Meaning; the district law does not impose jail time when someone is caught and charged with only the possession of  marijuana.  So why should we use our valuable police resources when it serves no purpose?

                    To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jwh_east@...
                    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:00:36 +0000
                    Subject: [MPD-5D] information request

                  • khenderson029@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30 9:37 AM
                      I appreciate the inquiry because this is a troubling issue for the District of Columbia because juveniles continue to drive our crime rate according to MPD statistics. There was much discussion regarding the first draft of the Omnibus Public Safety Act initiated by Mayor Anthony Williams' administration. Many citizens lobbied hard to have provisions for parental accountability for juvenile crimes included in the Act; however, there was also strong opposition. When the debate dust finally settled we were left with watered-down provisions to hold parents accountable when juvenile defendants missed a court date.

                      I believe we need tough legislation that will hold parents accountable for the actions of their children. Many children are the victims of parental neglect, which includes failure to provide appropriate supervision and certainly reasonable boundaries. The District continues to be overwhelmed by angry, misguided juveniles that commit crimes with a level of abandonment that poses a serious risk to themselves and the public. I support utilizing legislative penalties to hold parents accountable for the actions of their clearly delinquent children.

                      Finally, we cannot and should not expect our officers to act as social workers and surrogate parents. I am always concerned when there are isolated instances of citizen outrage directed at the police for not doing more to correct misguided youth. This is the province of parents. There are some that argue that you cannot legislate caring and quality parenting. This is not an effective or compelling argument. If we indeed had tough penalties for parents of children that threw rocks, urine, carjacked, maimed and murdered people, we would see a dramatic decrease in crimes committed by juveniles. I propose thoughtful exploration of legislation to enact meaningful penalties for neglectful parents of juvenile delinquents. Doing so will protect children and the public from the ravages of crime.

                      Kathy Henderson

                      In a message dated 9/30/2010 12:09:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jwh_east@... writes:

                      After reading the thread concerning "yet another mbt assault and possibly inadequate dispatcher/police response", can anyone provide information concerning the current law in the District? Can anyone provide a brief description or internet link to law that holds parents or guardians responsible for the criminal action of children? If this type of law is absent, and the majority agrees that it would be helpful, it would be the responsibility of the District residents to press the District government to apply a new law.

                      I am requesting this information about DC law, based upon the presumption that while it takes a village to raise a child, it starts with a parent.

                      Jon
                      NW DC

                    • Steven Conn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30 10:21 AM
                        In my view, the problem begins with our public assistance guidelines and legislation. The more kids you have, the more public assistance money you get. Take Octo-Mom for example - never worked a day in her life - and on public assistance and she continues (with her very fertile reproductive organs) to pollute the U.S. with more and more hungry mouths that we, the taxpayers feed.

                        I'll never forget my experience working on the Hill from 98-99 during the "welfare to work" debate, when a female caller asked what our Congressman (Bob Riley - AL) was doing to increase her welfare dollars. I replied that under (HR 1189 I think it was?) that under the new law, time on welfare would be limited to a certain number of years, after which benefits were ceased. She replied "well if you cut off my money I'm gonna go out and find me a man and make another baby."

                        I promptly said "you gotta do what you gotta do" and hung up.

                        So many misguided youth roam the streets because in my opinion, our public assistance laws encourage more and more kids to be had in exchange for more financial allowance to the adult - and if people are conceiving kids to get more dough, you know those kids aren't gonna be raised properly, and sadly will invest their unsupervised idle hours to throwing urine on productive members of society.

                        It's a shame some people work a system that is meant to assist people who have fallen on hard times, but that's the reality.

                      • zomora@rcn.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 30 8:37 PM
                          I am saddened to find such unfortunate opinions submitted on this listserv. Mr Conn observations are ridiculous. To suggest that women have babies to gain more funding from government programs is most unfortunate. Poverty and the effects of poverty on our society are much more complex topics and require thoughtful analysis and discussion.

                          Should we spend equal time discussing reality of white supremacy and racism that continue to produces the chronic inequities in our society. Why is a public school in upper NW equipped with the finest resources and schools in the inner city equipped with the worse resources. Many other examples of this phenomenon can be cited. Poverty creates an environment that breeds this dysfunctional behavior.

                          I encourage a more thoughtful and reasoned dialogue regarding the problems of our youth. I suggest we spend some time with the work of Jonathan Kozol (among others)to better understand the challenges of our neighbors. Then develop effective solutions that combat poverty.