Re: [MPD-5D] Shooting last night/Troublesome buildings--What can we do?

  • Thomas Fulton
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Please come to the police community meeting for 501 area.  Call the police dept. & find out the next meeting.  Tom Ussellman is the volunteer area coordinator.  Get actively involved.

      I'm not your ANC Commissioner, but I'm sure your Commissioner and our Councilman would want to hear your concerns.  Call your Councilman.

      Tom Fulton

      baringlake <baringlake@...> wrote:

      Last night, maybe around 12:30 or 1am, I heard what sounded like
      four gunshots, possibly coming from the Rhode Island Ave area.
      Subsequently heard police sirens (soon afterwards, so good response
      time) and then saw the police helicopter shine a light into the
      empty warehouse on Reed St NE.

      I have two questions about this possible incident:

      1. What information can you give us about the incident? It's scary
      to hear gunshots.

      2. The empty warehouse on Reed St NE and the apartment building at
      10th & Rhode Island NE seem to be rampant with drug and prostitution
      activity. I've personally seen prostitutes from the 10th & Rhode
      Island NE apartment building walk with men over to the empty
      warehouse on Reed St NE, which is not well-secured (a flimsy wire
      fence that people can just push aside). Plus, this isn't the first
      time I've heard gunshots coming from the 10th & Rhode Island NE
      area, which often has to do with the open-air drug dealing there.
      What can we do about this problem? I don't feel like I see enough of
      a police presence by the 10th & Rhode Island Ave NE apartment
      building (which is in sight of an elementary school--aren't there
      harsh drug laws so close to a school?). Plus, is there any way to
      increase police presence on Reed St NE and/or to force the owner
      (Douglas Development) to better secure that empty warehouse?

      I really appreciate that the police have started this list-serve,
      and I'm glad I can bring my concerns directly to you. It makes me
      feel a lot better about my community.

      Thanks for your advice with this problem!
      Jen

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        We're showing this a robbery hold up gun at approximately 12:43 a.m. When the complainant advised that he didn't have any money, the suspects (3 b/m's 18-20 years) old, directed him to take off his clothes. The complainant was then told to run and a number of gunshots were fired with none taking effect. One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is currently being processed. I'll provide additional details as they become available.

        Captain Patrick A. Burke
        Fifth District, MPDC
        Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

        Office: 202 727-4488
        Pager: 888 523-7099
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
            area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
            people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're related.

            I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
            2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
            It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
            once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign), but
            it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
            advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
            Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
            anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
            inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
            have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
            the metro tracks.

            Jen

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
            <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
            > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

            What can we
            > do?
            >
            > We're showing this a robbery hold up gun at approximately 12:43
            a.m. When
            > the complainant advised that he didn't have any money, the
            suspects (3 b/m's
            > 18-20 years) old, directed him to take off his clothes. The
            complainant was
            > then told to run and a number of gunshots were fired with none
            taking
            > effect. One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is
            currently being
            > processed. I'll provide additional details as they become
            available.

            > Captain Patrick A. Burke
            > Fifth District, MPDC
            > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
            >
            > Office: 202 727-4488
            > Pager: 888 523-7099

          • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

              <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
              > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                If someone can give me the exact address of the building I will invite the
                owner to the next landlord roundtable meeting. I'm not driving right now;
                otherwise, I would visit the location to get it.

                <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
                > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • k_fw
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 21, 2005
                  "One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is currently being
                  processed. I'll provide additional details as they become available."

                  What was the result of the investigation into this car? Was it
                  stolen? Was the owner of the car or the driver able to provide any
                  more information about this shooting?

                  Thanks,
                  Kristen

                  --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

                • baringlake
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 19, 2005
                    Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                    As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses in
                    the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
                    fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
                    area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
                    graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
                    prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a known
                    drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week ago.

                    I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
                    I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
                    warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
                    NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600 block
                    of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
                    shop.

                    The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
                    LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001) is
                    the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for lease"
                    sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-6300.
                    Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
                    information seems to match.

                    I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti removal
                    (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
                    secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617). I
                    also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know he's
                    leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500 block
                    of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to the
                    warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so I
                    asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if Sgt.
                    Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
                    assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
                    my service requests?

                    Thanks so much!
                    Jen

                    <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                    > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                    information to DCRA as well.

                    > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                    > Fifth District, MPDC
                    > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                    >
                    > Office: 202 727-4488
                    > Pager: 888 523-7099

                    What can we do?

                    > Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
                    > area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
                    > people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're
                    related.

                    > I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
                    > 2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
                    > It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
                    > once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign),
                    but
                    > it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
                    > advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
                    > Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
                    > anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
                    > inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
                    > have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
                    > the metro tracks.
                    >
                    > Jen
                    >
                    > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
                    > <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
                    > > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street?
                    Thanks.

                  • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                      <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                      > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                      information to DCRA as well.

                      > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                      > Fifth District, MPDC
                      > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                      >
                      > Office: 202 727-4488
                      > Pager: 888 523-7099

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                        Jen,

                        Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable" meetings with 5D
                        to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for addressing
                        crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not comply
                        they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil Forfeiture".
                        Initially I invited property owners in my single member district. We are
                        experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other areas. I am
                        happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.

                        Sincerely,

                        Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                        <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                        > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                        information to DCRA as well.

                        > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                        > Fifth District, MPDC
                        > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                        >
                        > Office: 202 727-4488
                        > Pager: 888 523-7099

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                          <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                          > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                          information to DCRA as well.

                          > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                          > Fifth District, MPDC
                          > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                          >
                          > Office: 202 727-4488
                          > Pager: 888 523-7099

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • baringlake
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                            Ms. Henderson,
                            Thanks so much for inviting them to the Landlord Roundtable. Let me
                            know if you need any further information for me for it.

                            <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                            > Jen,
                            >
                            > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                            meetings with 5D
                            > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                            addressing
                            > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                            comply
                            > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                            Forfeiture".
                            > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                            We are
                            > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                            areas. I am
                            > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                            >
                            > Sincerely,
                            >
                            > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                            Behalf Of
                            > baringlake
                            > Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:25 PM
                            > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St
                            NE

                            > Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                            > As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses
                            in
                            > the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
                            > fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
                            > area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
                            > graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
                            > prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a
                            known
                            > drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week
                            ago.

                            > I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
                            > I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
                            > warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
                            > NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600
                            block
                            > of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
                            > shop.
                            >
                            > The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
                            > LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001)
                            is
                            > the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for
                            lease"
                            > sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-
                            6300.
                            > Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
                            > information seems to match.
                            >
                            > I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti
                            removal
                            > (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
                            > secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617).
                            > also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know
                            he's
                            > leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500
                            block
                            > of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to
                            the
                            > warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so
                            > asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if
                            Sgt.
                            > Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
                            > assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
                            > my service requests?
                            >
                            > Thanks so much!
                            > Jen
                            >
                            > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
                            > <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                            > > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                            > information to DCRA as well.
                            > >
                            > > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                            > > Fifth District, MPDC
                            > > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                            > >
                            > > Office: 202 727-4488
                            > > Pager: 888 523-7099

                          • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                              Great, thanks.

                              <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                              > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                              information to DCRA as well.

                              > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                              > Fifth District, MPDC
                              > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                              >
                              > Office: 202 727-4488
                              > Pager: 888 523-7099

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • gwensouth@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                                Kathy,

                                Just wanted to tell you that your implementation of the "Landlord's Roundtable" is absolutely the best solution to many of the crime problems in our communities.  What I've found is that the landlord, an important element in the problem solving, is most often unwilling to become a party to the process of solving crimes that emanate from their property.

                                Your solution will compel them to come forth as a partner in ridding problematic and criminal tenants, and their guests, from their property.  This is especially effective in the case of Section 8 housing properties, as they are funded by the federal and local governments.

                                Please keep me posted as to how this process of "Civil Forfeiture" works and could you share with me where I can find legal information about this process.  Thanks for your good works and keep it up.

                                Gwen Southerland

                                <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                                > Jen,
                                >
                                > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                                meetings with 5D
                                > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                                addressing
                                > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                                comply
                                > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                                Forfeiture".
                                > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                                We are
                                > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                                areas. I am
                                > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                                >
                                > Sincerely,
                                >
                                > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                                Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                                'Thanks & Giving.'
                              • baringlake
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                                  Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                                  I wanted to follow-up on this posting from this spring, as there have
                                  been some updates. This is regarding the empty warehouses at 805
                                  Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place NE, and 809 Channing Place NE.
                                  They are right off of the 2500-2600 block of Reed St NE, near the
                                  Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform shop in the 900 block of
                                  Rhode Island NE.

                                  When I originally contacted this list-serve, I had mentioned that the
                                  fencing around the warehouses had been pulled aside, allowing drug
                                  users and prostitutes to get in. With the help of this list-serve, the
                                  fencing was repaired, and that seemed to keep down the number of
                                  people roaming around those warehouses.

                                  Unfortunately, someone has opened up the fencing to this warehouse.
                                  This isn't just someone pulling it down this time. Someone unlocked
                                  the gates and left the warehouses wide open. I have seen the fencing
                                  open at all times of day -- morning, afternoon and night. At the very
                                  least, this is a danger to the children next door at Calvary Christian
                                  Academy. It's also starting to attract drug users and prostitutes
                                  again, who can now enter the warehouse with ease.

                                  I had also made a request to the city last spring that the graffiti be
                                  removed, especially since there appear to be some gang markings. I
                                  didn't see graffiti removed, so I made another request last week.

                                  The folks on the list-serve had been helpful in securing the
                                  warehouses last spring, so I'm hoping that I can get some help in
                                  making the owner re-secure the warehouse and possibly allow the city
                                  to clean up the graffiti that is all over the warehouses.

                                  As for the owner, the building is owned by a company called "Jemal's
                                  Channing Place LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON
                                  DC 20001) is the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a
                                  "for lease" sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at
                                  202-638-6300.

                                  Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson, could you look into this and reach
                                  out to the owner again?

                                  Thanks so much,
                                  Jen