Re: [metbranchtrail] Reply from Pepco on Homeless Person on Metbranch Trail.

  • episkychic
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
      Why, because if it is the bridge where I think it is, he's right on the trail, not several yards away.

      He's a broken window. He's a sign of disorder on the trail, a signal that the trail may be unsafe. If you want people to use the trail, if you want women to feel safe enough to jog alone, people to bike with their kids, people have to feel safe.

      -Marie

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Nevena Minor <nminor@...> wrote:

      > If he is not harming anyone and does not want to go into shelter right now,
      > why not just live and let live?
      >
      > On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Smith, Yvonne (MPD) <yvonne.smith@...>wrote:
      >

      > > *<Forwarded Message Below>*
      > >
      > > * *
      > >
      > > * *
      > >
      > > *Pepco donated the back portion of this property to the District for the
      > > new bike trail. A fence was then re-constructed between the bike trail and
      > > our property (the substation property is completely fenced in).
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Joe Nice
      > > Supervisor,
      > > Real Estate Department, Pepco*
      > > ------------------------------

    • Jason Hawke
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
        A *person* isn't a broken window - a person is a human being.

        I agree that people should be safe - and feel safe - but I take offense at your suggestion that he needs to be 'moved along' . Sadly there are hundreds of homeless people sleeping in our parks here in DC and for the most part they don't hurt anybody. Personally I am more concern about the kids throwing rocks or mugging people for sport then a person camping out on or near the trail.

        -Jason

        On Sep 8, 2010, at 8:13 AM, episkychic wrote:

        > Why, because if it is the bridge where I think it is, he's right on the trail, not several yards away.
        >
        > He's a broken window. He's a sign of disorder on the trail, a signal that the trail may be unsafe. If you want people to use the trail, if you want women to feel safe enough to jog alone, people to bike with their kids, people have to feel safe.
        >
        > -Marie
        >
        > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Nevena Minor <nminor@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> If he is not harming anyone and does not want to go into shelter right now,
        >> why not just live and let live?
        >>
        >> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Smith, Yvonne (MPD) <yvonne.smith@...>wrote:
        >>

        >>> *<Forwarded Message Below>*
        >>>
        >>> * *
        >>>
        >>> * *
        >>>
        >>> *Pepco donated the back portion of this property to the District for the
        >>> new bike trail. A fence was then re-constructed between the bike trail and
        >>> our property (the substation property is completely fenced in).
        >>>
        >>> Regards,
        >>> Joe Nice
        >>> Supervisor,
        >>> Real Estate Department, Pepco*
        >>> ------------------------------

      • Steve Rynecki

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
            Where should he make camp?  Has this man threatened anyone, or does his mere presence disturb you?  Yes, I understand your wild scenario, but homeless people have erected shanty homes in parks all across this country, including now the metbranchtrail.  Is this illegal?  Should the police start tearing down all the shanties, or a select few that some people find offensive.  Who should make this discriminatory decision?  There are shanties in Langdon Park, Central Park, Lafayette Park, etc.  BTW, if someone is so inclined to drag someone off a trail and do bodily harm, shelter is not required.  I don't believe the murderer of Chandra Levy utilized shelter to rape and kill her.  Or at least the newspapers never mentioned such.

            Moreover, I also find it very offensive and despicable to describe a human being in which God has expressed life as a "broken window".  May none of us ever endure such misfortune as the faceless homeless man, woman and child.  FWIW, I am not a bleeding heart, far from it, but I do believe in right and wrong.  And it is simply wrong, in my opinion, to harass the defenseless to make another feel empowered or secure.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
              I wholeheartedly agree that if we start allowing (who we believe to be homeless people), who might also be sex offenders and fugitives to set up little sheds anywhere they please in our community, we are welcoming kidnappings, robberies, sexual assaults, sights and smells of human waste and much worse. There are probably not enough shelters in this city. There are also probably thousands of people right here who are one paycheck or one natural disaster away from being homeless, so we must all make it our business to take care of the homeless. This is not about an attack on the homeless, but ensuring that an area, like the MetBranch Trail, meant to serve as a beautiful addition to the city for bikers, walkers and runners of all ages is kept safe. I welcome those who criticize this to open their backyards and their guest rooms up to these same individuals. I am sure I can find some organizations to purchases nice zip-up tents for those of you who wish to open your backyards and homes. But please be reasonable. If this is not addressed, it will only multiply, like many other issues in a city environment.

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Steve Rynecki <srynecki@...> wrote:

              > I think we're missing the point here. It's not the homeless guy that's the issue here, it's his ramshackle shelter we take issue with. The scenario we'd like to avoid is the off chance some innocent person is dragged off the trail and raped in that shelter, not by the homeless guy, per se, but by someone else. It should be common sense to investgate and secure this area as a crime prevention precaution. The homeless guy has many other Places to make camp.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Sep 8, 2010, at 10:47 PM, Jason Hawke <jhawke@...> wrote:
              >
              > A *person* isn't a broken window - a person is a human being.
              >
              > I agree that people should be safe - and feel safe - but I take offense at your suggestion that he needs to be 'moved along' . Sadly there are hundreds of homeless people sleeping in our parks here in DC and for the most part they don't hurt anybody. Personally I am more concern about the kids throwing rocks or mugging people for sport then a person camping out on or near the trail.
              >
              > -Jason
              >
              > On Sep 8, 2010, at 8:13 AM, episkychic wrote:
              >
              > Why, because if it is the bridge where I think it is, he's right on the trail, not several yards away.
              >
              > He's a broken window. He's a sign of disorder on the trail, a signal that the trail may be unsafe. If you want people to use the trail, if you want women to feel safe enough to jog alone, people to bike with their kids, people have to feel safe.
              >
              > -Marie
              >
              > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Nevena Minor <nminor@> wrote:
              >
              > If he is not harming anyone and does not want to go into shelter right now,
              > why not just live and let live?
              >
              > On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Smith, Yvonne (MPD) <yvonne.smith@>wrote:
              >

              > *<Forwarded Message Below>*
              >
              > * *
              >
              > * *
              >
              > *Pepco donated the back portion of this property to the District for the
              > new bike trail. A fence was then re-constructed between the bike trail and
              > our property (the substation property is completely fenced in).
              >
              > Regards,
              > Joe Nice
              > Supervisor,
              > Real Estate Department, Pepco*

            • Rynecki
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2010
                Detria - it's quite obvious to me that you don't walk alone on the trail at dark. That or you're well armed. The days are getting shorter and, like I said before, this isn't an accusation against said homeless guy. This is a common sense public safety issue. Focus is essential here. DDOT will be fencing off that section along the trail.