Shooting last night/Troublesome buildings--What can we do?

  • baringlake
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2 6:59 AM
      Last night, maybe around 12:30 or 1am, I heard what sounded like
      four gunshots, possibly coming from the Rhode Island Ave area.
      Subsequently heard police sirens (soon afterwards, so good response
      time) and then saw the police helicopter shine a light into the
      empty warehouse on Reed St NE.

      I have two questions about this possible incident:

      1. What information can you give us about the incident? It's scary
      to hear gunshots.

      2. The empty warehouse on Reed St NE and the apartment building at
      10th & Rhode Island NE seem to be rampant with drug and prostitution
      activity. I've personally seen prostitutes from the 10th & Rhode
      Island NE apartment building walk with men over to the empty
      warehouse on Reed St NE, which is not well-secured (a flimsy wire
      fence that people can just push aside). Plus, this isn't the first
      time I've heard gunshots coming from the 10th & Rhode Island NE
      area, which often has to do with the open-air drug dealing there.
      What can we do about this problem? I don't feel like I see enough of
      a police presence by the 10th & Rhode Island Ave NE apartment
      building (which is in sight of an elementary school--aren't there
      harsh drug laws so close to a school?). Plus, is there any way to
      increase police presence on Reed St NE and/or to force the owner
      (Douglas Development) to better secure that empty warehouse?

      I really appreciate that the police have started this list-serve,
      and I'm glad I can bring my concerns directly to you. It makes me
      feel a lot better about my community.

      Thanks for your advice with this problem!
      Jen
    • Thomas Fulton
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2 10:13 AM
        Please come to the police community meeting for 501 area.  Call the police dept. & find out the next meeting.  Tom Ussellman is the volunteer area coordinator.  Get actively involved.

        I'm not your ANC Commissioner, but I'm sure your Commissioner and our Councilman would want to hear your concerns.  Call your Councilman.

        Tom Fulton

        baringlake <baringlake@...> wrote:

[...]

        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

      • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2 12:45 PM
          We're showing this a robbery hold up gun at approximately 12:43 a.m. When the complainant advised that he didn't have any money, the suspects (3 b/m's 18-20 years) old, directed him to take off his clothes. The complainant was then told to run and a number of gunshots were fired with none taking effect. One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is currently being processed. I'll provide additional details as they become available.

          Captain Patrick A. Burke
          Fifth District, MPDC
          Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

          Office: 202 727-4488
          Pager: 888 523-7099
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2 12:51 PM
            What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2 1:18 PM
              Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
              area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
              people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're related.

              I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
              2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
              It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
              once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign), but
              it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
              advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
              Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
              anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
              inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
              have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
              the metro tracks.

              Jen

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
              <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
              > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

              What can we
              > do?
              >
              > We're showing this a robbery hold up gun at approximately 12:43
              a.m. When
              > the complainant advised that he didn't have any money, the
              suspects (3 b/m's
              > 18-20 years) old, directed him to take off his clothes. The
              complainant was
              > then told to run and a number of gunshots were fired with none
              taking
              > effect. One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is
              currently being
              > processed. I'll provide additional details as they become
              available.

              > Captain Patrick A. Burke
              > Fifth District, MPDC
              > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
              >
              > Office: 202 727-4488
              > Pager: 888 523-7099

            • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
                > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3 9:53 AM
                  If someone can give me the exact address of the building I will invite the
                  owner to the next landlord roundtable meeting. I'm not driving right now;
                  otherwise, I would visit the location to get it.

                  <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
                  > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street? Thanks.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • k_fw
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 21 7:06 AM
                    "One of the suspect vehicles was recovered and is currently being
                    processed. I'll provide additional details as they become available."

                    What was the result of the investigation into this car? Was it
                    stolen? Was the owner of the car or the driver able to provide any
                    more information about this shooting?

                    Thanks,
                    Kristen

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"

                  • baringlake
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 19, 2005
                      Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                      As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses in
                      the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
                      fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
                      area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
                      graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
                      prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a known
                      drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week ago.

                      I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
                      I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
                      warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
                      NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600 block
                      of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
                      shop.

                      The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
                      LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001) is
                      the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for lease"
                      sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-6300.
                      Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
                      information seems to match.

                      I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti removal
                      (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
                      secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617). I
                      also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know he's
                      leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500 block
                      of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to the
                      warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so I
                      asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if Sgt.
                      Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
                      assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
                      my service requests?

                      Thanks so much!
                      Jen

                      <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                      > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                      information to DCRA as well.

                      > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                      > Fifth District, MPDC
                      > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                      >
                      > Office: 202 727-4488
                      > Pager: 888 523-7099

                      What can we do?

                      > Thank you for passing along this information. I know the Brookland
                      > area has been having trouble with a group of male teenagers robbing
                      > people at gunpoint, so it really makes me wonder if they're
                      related.

                      > I don't know the exact address of the warehouse, but it's in the
                      > 2600 block of Reed St NE, between Rhode Island Ave and Evarts St.
                      > It's directly behind Calvary Christian Academy. I think it may have
                      > once been owned by the DC govt (thought I saw an old govt sign),
                      but
                      > it now has a huge sign on the side facing the metro tracks
                      > advertising it "for lease" and giving the number for Douglas
                      > Development. Even though it's supposedly for lease, I haven't seen
                      > anything happen to it. And the fence surrounding it is woefully
                      > inadequate, so it keeps getting pulled down. Most of the windows
                      > have been broken, and there's a ton of graffiti on the side facing
                      > the metro tracks.
                      >
                      > Jen
                      >
                      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Henderson, Kathy (EOM)"
                      > <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:
                      > > What is the exact address of the warehouse on Reed Street?
                      Thanks.

                    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                        <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                        > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                        information to DCRA as well.

                        > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                        > Fifth District, MPDC
                        > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                        >
                        > Office: 202 727-4488
                        > Pager: 888 523-7099

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                          Jen,

                          Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable" meetings with 5D
                          to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for addressing
                          crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not comply
                          they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil Forfeiture".
                          Initially I invited property owners in my single member district. We are
                          experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other areas. I am
                          happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.

                          Sincerely,

                          Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                          <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                          > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                          information to DCRA as well.

                          > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                          > Fifth District, MPDC
                          > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                          >
                          > Office: 202 727-4488
                          > Pager: 888 523-7099

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

                            <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                            > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                            information to DCRA as well.

                            > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                            > Fifth District, MPDC
                            > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                            >
                            > Office: 202 727-4488
                            > Pager: 888 523-7099

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • baringlake
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 20, 2005
                              Ms. Henderson,
                              Thanks so much for inviting them to the Landlord Roundtable. Let me
                              know if you need any further information for me for it.

                              <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                              > Jen,
                              >
                              > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                              meetings with 5D
                              > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                              addressing
                              > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                              comply
                              > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                              Forfeiture".
                              > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                              We are
                              > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                              areas. I am
                              > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                              >
                              > Sincerely,
                              >
                              > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                              Behalf Of
                              > baringlake
                              > Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:25 PM
                              > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: [MPD-5D] Re: Troublesome buildings--2600 block of Reed St
                              NE

                              > Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                              > As we started discussing on this list-serve, the empty warehouses
                              in
                              > the 2600 block of Reed St NE are a haven for crime. They aren't
                              > fenced well, so people have partially pulled back the fence in one
                              > area in order to get into the warehouses for drug use, to spray
                              > graffiti (some of which appears to be gang graffit), for
                              > prostitution, and who knows what else. I personally just saw a
                              known
                              > drug user behind the fence, entering the warehouse about a week
                              ago.

                              > I know Ms. Henderson wanted to get the exact address, and I think
                              > I've found some useful information: The addresses for the empty
                              > warehouses appear to be 805 Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place
                              > NE, and 809 Channing Place NE. They are right off of the 2600
                              block
                              > of Reed St NE, near the Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform
                              > shop.
                              >
                              > The building is owned by a company called "Jemal's Channing Place
                              > LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON DC 20001)
                              is
                              > the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a "for
                              lease"
                              > sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at 202-638-
                              6300.
                              > Since Douglas Jemal is the president of Douglas Development, this
                              > information seems to match.
                              >
                              > I submitted requests today to the city, asking for graffiti
                              removal
                              > (service request # 909610) and for them to make the owner better
                              > secure the empty warehouses (vacant lot service request # 909617).
                              > also spoke to Sgt. Brown at the last PSA meeting, since I know
                              he's
                              > leading the action plan for the apartmetn building in the 2500
                              block
                              > of 10th St NE. I've seen people walk from that building over to
                              the
                              > warehouses (presumably to use drug or engage in prostitution), so
                              > asked him to also keep an eye on that building. Do you know if
                              Sgt.
                              > Brown has had a chance to look at the warehouses and make any
                              > assessments? Can you help me make sure the city follows through on
                              > my service requests?
                              >
                              > Thanks so much!
                              > Jen
                              >
                              > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Burke, Patrick \(MPD\)"
                              > <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                              > > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                              > information to DCRA as well.
                              > >
                              > > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                              > > Fifth District, MPDC
                              > > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                              > >
                              > > Office: 202 727-4488
                              > > Pager: 888 523-7099

                            • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                                Great, thanks.

                                <Patrick.Burke@d...> wrote:
                                > Thanks Jen. I'll look into that building and forward the
                                information to DCRA as well.

                                > Captain Patrick A. Burke
                                > Fifth District, MPDC
                                > Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!
                                >
                                > Office: 202 727-4488
                                > Pager: 888 523-7099

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • gwensouth@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 21, 2005
                                  Kathy,

                                  Just wanted to tell you that your implementation of the "Landlord's Roundtable" is absolutely the best solution to many of the crime problems in our communities.  What I've found is that the landlord, an important element in the problem solving, is most often unwilling to become a party to the process of solving crimes that emanate from their property.

                                  Your solution will compel them to come forth as a partner in ridding problematic and criminal tenants, and their guests, from their property.  This is especially effective in the case of Section 8 housing properties, as they are funded by the federal and local governments.

                                  Please keep me posted as to how this process of "Civil Forfeiture" works and could you share with me where I can find legal information about this process.  Thanks for your good works and keep it up.

                                  Gwen Southerland

                                  <kathy.henderson@d...> wrote:

                                  > Jen,
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the address. I facilitate "Landlord Roundtable"
                                  meetings with 5D
                                  > to help landlords understand what their responsibilities are for
                                  addressing
                                  > crime and nuisance issues on their properties. If landlords do not
                                  comply
                                  > they risk losing the property through a process known as "Civil
                                  Forfeiture".
                                  > Initially I invited property owners in my single member district.
                                  We are
                                  > experiencing success and I am now inviting landlords from other
                                  areas. I am
                                  > happy to invite the owner of this warehouse to the next meeting.
                                  >
                                  > Sincerely,
                                  >
                                  > Kathy Henderson, 5B10

                                  Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's
                                  'Thanks & Giving.'
                                • baringlake
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                                    Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson:
                                    I wanted to follow-up on this posting from this spring, as there have
                                    been some updates. This is regarding the empty warehouses at 805
                                    Channing Place NE, 806 Channing Place NE, and 809 Channing Place NE.
                                    They are right off of the 2500-2600 block of Reed St NE, near the
                                    Calvary Christian Academy and the uniform shop in the 900 block of
                                    Rhode Island NE.

                                    When I originally contacted this list-serve, I had mentioned that the
                                    fencing around the warehouses had been pulled aside, allowing drug
                                    users and prostitutes to get in. With the help of this list-serve, the
                                    fencing was repaired, and that seemed to keep down the number of
                                    people roaming around those warehouses.

                                    Unfortunately, someone has opened up the fencing to this warehouse.
                                    This isn't just someone pulling it down this time. Someone unlocked
                                    the gates and left the warehouses wide open. I have seen the fencing
                                    open at all times of day -- morning, afternoon and night. At the very
                                    least, this is a danger to the children next door at Calvary Christian
                                    Academy. It's also starting to attract drug users and prostitutes
                                    again, who can now enter the warehouse with ease.

                                    I had also made a request to the city last spring that the graffiti be
                                    removed, especially since there appear to be some gang markings. I
                                    didn't see graffiti removed, so I made another request last week.

                                    The folks on the list-serve had been helpful in securing the
                                    warehouses last spring, so I'm hoping that I can get some help in
                                    making the owner re-secure the warehouse and possibly allow the city
                                    to clean up the graffiti that is all over the warehouses.

                                    As for the owner, the building is owned by a company called "Jemal's
                                    Channing Place LLC," and the mailing address (702 H ST NW; WASHINGTON
                                    DC 20001) is the same address as Douglas Development. There's also a
                                    "for lease" sign on the building that lists Douglas Development at
                                    202-638-6300.

                                    Captain Burke and Ms. Henderson, could you look into this and reach
                                    out to the owner again?

                                    Thanks so much,
                                    Jen