DC's urban myth

  • Tobias Kienle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2005
      x2j785,

      I wasn't trying to bash you, but when you put things
      like gun law out there for people to read, you have to
      be 100% accurate. Yes, these rules are for legally
      registered firearms in DC. And that old cut-off date
      was for handguns. If you have a weapon that meets all
      the legal requirements (typically any standard rifle
      or shotgun, subject to capacity & length
      requirements), you can register it, which includes
      having to study the DC gun laws & pass a test.

      And I'm not advocating that everyone arm themselves.
      Its an individual choice based on one's comfort level.
      People shouldn't buy a gun just to have one, because
      if they lack confidence or have a false sense of
      security, it may actually make matters worse in a home
      invasion scenario.

      I certainly agree with you that handguns are a
      problem, but they are a symptom of the crime & poverty
      in DC. It's not that the gun laws aren't being
      enforced, but rather that handguns are just too
      prolific. They're really like telephones or TVs, &
      until you eliminate the crime, especially the drug
      trade, you will continue to have scores being settled
      with guns.

      The best thing we here in 5D can do is work with the
      police by going to the meetings, getting contact info
      for the officers, passing along information, calling
      3/911, working in a neighborhood Partnership for
      Problem Solving, writing our elected officials &
      keeping the pressure on them, & so on.

      Have a Happy Holiday, & stay safe.