Re: Tackled by Rowdy teens at Brookland Metro Station

  • rptnorris
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 29 4:38 PM
      Yes. It was an unprovoked attack, unless perhaps ignoring and walking past some kids yelling in your face is provoking. I did look back at them when I noticed they were following me as I was walking through the bus area, but I never said a word. I'm surmising they were fooling around because once they had me down, they let me go. They would have done more if their intent was anything besides to scare me. I think the only provocation may have been the amount of fear I may have shown once I had kids jumping in my face--but how can I help that? I did my best to act normal and ignore it.

      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 29 5:12 PM
        This is disturbing and I am sorry you had this experience! Not only file a report with WMATA/METRO please call 911 when something like this happens so we can dispatch units to the area in attempt to not only catch the suspects but to avoid others from having this same terrible experience. A "look out" or description would have MPD units looking for the suspects.

        Again, I am so sorry you had this awful experience but thank you for sharing.

        Janice Quintana
        Director
        Office of Unified Communications
        911/311
        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 29 7:46 PM
          You've all undoubtedly seen the video on youtube of the 67 year old veteran who defends himself while riding the Atlantic City Bus. It's easily accessible by searching on youtube.com for "67 year old veteran."

          Since one of the other thugs was already videotaping it (with a cell phone?), it must have been a planned fight - I've heard that many kids these days go out videotaping fights, to post them on youtube, but little did this thug know, he was messing with the wrong man. :)

          I wish we could all defend ourselves like this spry older gentleman!

          The main lesson: these young kids don't know who they're messing with, and we can defend ourselves!
          ________________________________
          From: <zomora@...>
          Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:09:36 -0400 (EDT)
          To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

          I am saddened and deeply disturbed by your experience. This was
          not a minor incident. I find this behavior totally unexceptionable and encourage
          all to report these cowardly acts

          to the police.

          I believe that Pepper Spray is illegal in the DC which is most
          unfortunate. Citizens should be able to carry some deterant to
          protect ourselves from the thugs and predators that live among
          us.

          Be well
        • EtB
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 29 8:42 PM
            no offense, but I suspect if you punch a minor, even if a group of them are attacking you, 1 of 2 things will occur.  (1) they will attack you en-masse and you will be seriously hurt or (2) you will be arrested for assault on a minor.  Basically, its a no-win scenario.

                From: <zomora@...>
                Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:09:36 -0400 (EDT)
                To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                I am saddened and deeply disturbed by your experience. This was
                not a minor incident. I find this behavior totally unexceptionable and encourage
                all to report these cowardly acts

                to the police.

                I believe that Pepper Spray is illegal in the DC which is most
                unfortunate. Citizens should be able to carry some deterant to
                protect ourselves from the thugs and predators that live among
                us.

                Be well

                --
                Eric

                --

                Keep a green tree alive in your heart and a songbird may come to sing there.

                Chinese Proverb

                Keith Jarrell
                Cell (202) 288-1867
                Fax (202) 315-2559
              • Gigi Ransom
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 30 8:46 AM
                  The Brookland Metro Station & its Bus Terminal has the least amount of Metro Police patrols. Though I have seen 5D officers in patrol cars spending time in the area, especially during rush hrs, more is needed during the evening/night hrs, and on the weekends. There are at least 3 different law agencies, Metro, MPD & Park police that patrol/station themselves at the Ft. Totten Metro station.

                  The criminals have figured this out about Brookland Metro's lack of patrols. In addition to drivers feeling they can drop off passengers in the area of the bus terminal that leads down to the Metro rail, along w/rush hrs, there is a real problem w/pan handlers, truancy, and those hanging around throughout the day looking for victims. It is also not well lit at night. Also this newly replaced escalator (after almost a yr, reopened when the Pope came to town), seems to stay broken.

                  5D spends more time there than Metro police, especially upstairs. CUA has patrols on the McCormack Rd side, but that ends about 1/2 after evening classes let out. Classes have started, so CUA does have security on the McCormack Rd side where their dorms are located throughout the night, but they are not law enforcement.

                  These crime prevention issues at this station are not new to Metro, back in early summer, I sent an email to the new GM & others regarding a large group of youths, that was waiting to attack some students from another school. Mr. Scarles or their chief of police never replied. I received an email about 3 weeks later from his customer service office asking for a description of some of the members of this group, even though I provided what I could in the original email. They were long gone!

                  Brooklanders, all law abiding residents that use that station should be up in arms! Too many people have been robbed, injured, harassed, etc, for there not to be given attention to this Metro station.

                  Commissioner Gigi Ransom, ANC 5C12.

                  From: <zomora@...>
                  Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:09:36 -0400 (EDT)
                  To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                  I am saddened and deeply disturbed by your experience. This was
                  not a minor incident. I find this behavior totally unexceptionable and encourage
                  all to report these cowardly acts

                  to the police.

                  I believe that Pepper Spray is illegal in the DC which is most
                  unfortunate. Citizens should be able to carry some deterant to
                  protect ourselves from the thugs and predators that live among
                  us.

                  Be well
                • Greene, Lamar (MPD)
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 30 9:02 AM
                    I am communicating with metro transit as we speak, about running some tactical operations to assist in apprehending these subjects, also asking them to assist us with more patrols, I will follow up shortly!
                    Commander Lamar D. Greene

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 30 11:06 AM
                      Do we know which schools these students are coming from? It seems to me that the schools and the parents of the students should be involved/informed about this behavior.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 30 4:05 PM
                        I don't know what kind of training they receive, but that is ridiculous!.  It seems they want to avoid any problems and would rather address riders who don't pose a threat.  I must clarify my previous post- when I am in the area, I do see 5D patrolling that area, the walk through area going to the north side of the Michigan Ave Bridge. I believe it was Friday, about 6pm, 3 Metro officers were hiding behind a Metro truck, trying to catch people driving thru the bus terminal, but the panhandler was downstairs near the entrance to Metro begging.  Go figure!

                        I know residents feel they should be able to walk anywhere and be safe, but using the bridge underpass and coming out to walk to the 10th st side can be dangerous at night. Comcast & the auto shop is closed.  Almost no human activity.  Rather be safe than sorry, walk to the corner, and cross Michigan Ave.  If something happens, at least people/drivers can see you.  Hopefully, someone will think about someone other than themselves and will try to assist, either by calling 911 or helping you.

                        Gigi Ransom

                          Jason, I have to go with etb's advice on this scenario.  Think about it.  All or most the 'witnesses' will be against you.  Faced with all the perps willing to make complaints against you, MPD would be hard-pressed to ignore them.  Then you might be looking a civil action-- or multiple civil actions-- against you as well.  Better to insist on better security/ cam coverage from WMATA.

                          brian

                          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hawke <jhawke@...> wrote:

                          > I doubt you would be arrested for punching a minor in self-defense (after all we're talking about teen agers and not grade schoolers). Any group of people can attack you regardless of age - would you suggest that you just stand there and take it?
                          >
                          > Yeah maybe you will be overwhelmed by the numbers but at least you can make them hurt. I have a feeling that many of these assaults are opportunistic and a new form of social bullying. I'm sure they wouldn't do most of this stuff if they knew there would be repercussions.
                          >
                          > -Jason
                          >
                          > On Aug 29, 2010, at 11:42 PM, EtB wrote:
                          >

                          > > no offense, but I suspect if you punch a minor, even if a group of them are attacking you, 1 of 2 things will occur. (1) they will attack you en-masse and you will be seriously hurt or (2) you will be arrested for assault on a minor. Basically, its a no-win scenario.
                          > >

                          > > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Steven Conn steven_conn@... wrote:
                          > >
                          > > You've all undoubtedly seen the video on youtube of the 67 year old veteran who defends himself while riding the Atlantic City Bus. It's easily accessible by searching on youtube.com for "67 year old veteran."
                          > >
                          > > Since one of the other thugs was already videotaping it (with a cell phone?), it must have been a planned fight - I've heard that many kids these days go out videotaping fights, to post them on youtube, but little did this thug know, he was messing with the wrong man. :)
                          > >
                          > > I wish we could all defend ourselves like this spry older gentleman!
                          > >
                          > > The main lesson: these young kids don't know who they're messing with, and we can defend ourselves!
                          > > ________________________________

                        • Steven Conn
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 31 5:10 AM
                            MPD would also be hard pressed to abandon logic. There's no way anyone would pro-actively take on an entire group of rascally teenagers by themselves unless they're Popeye or the Hulk.

                            Self defense is self defense. Everyone has the right to protect their person. And then has the duty to report the incident as soon as they're out of immediate danger.

                            On Mon Aug 30th, 2010 10:43 PM EDT brian.ions wrote:

                            >Jason, I have to go with etb's advice on this scenario. Think about it.
                            >All or most the 'witnesses' will be against you. Faced with all the
                            >perps willing to make complaints against you, MPD would be hard-pressed
                            >to ignore them. Then you might be looking a civil action-- or multiple
                            >civil actions-- against you as well. Better to insist on better
                            >security/ cam coverage from WMATA.
                            >
                            >brian
                            >

                            >--- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hawke <jhawke@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I doubt you would be arrested for punching a minor in self-defense
                            >(after all we're talking about teen agers and not grade schoolers). Any
                            >group of people can attack you regardless of age - would you suggest
                            >that you just stand there and take it?
                            >>
                            >> Yeah maybe you will be overwhelmed by the numbers but at least you can
                            >make them hurt. I have a feeling that many of these assaults are
                            >opportunistic and a new form of social bullying. I'm sure they wouldn't
                            >do most of this stuff if they knew there would be repercussions.
                            >>
                            >> -Jason
                            >>
                            >> On Aug 29, 2010, at 11:42 PM, EtB wrote:
                            >>

                            >> > no offense, but I suspect if you punch a minor, even if a group of
                            >them are attacking you, 1 of 2 things will occur. (1) they will attack
                            >you en-masse and you will be seriously hurt or (2) you will be arrested
                            >for assault on a minor. Basically, its a no-win scenario.
                            >> >

                            >> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Steven Conn steven_conn@... wrote:
                            >> >
                            >> > You've all undoubtedly seen the video on youtube of the 67 year old
                            >veteran who defends himself while riding the Atlantic City Bus. It's
                            >easily accessible by searching on youtube.com for "67 year old veteran."
                            >> >
                            >> > Since one of the other thugs was already videotaping it (with a cell
                            >phone?), it must have been a planned fight - I've heard that many kids
                            >these days go out videotaping fights, to post them on youtube, but
                            >little did this thug know, he was messing with the wrong man. :)
                            >> >
                            >> > I wish we could all defend ourselves like this spry older gentleman!
                            >> >
                            >> > The main lesson: these young kids don't know who they're messing
                            >with, and we can defend ourselves!

                            Whoops!
                            I agree that Metro police don't patrol unless there is an orange level security alert. Even then they are downstairs. I have had a metro officer walk up to me and tell me that there was no eating or drinking (in 100% weather when I took a sip of water) while down the platform a group of young people were running and screaming.
                            My fear is that someone is going to be knocked down or knocked onto the tracks. It could even be a rowdy kid. It is ridiculous that we should have this situation while metro steadily raises fares.
                            Theit reputation is looking very tarnished. I've ridden trains in NY city and never experienced the lack of oversight we have here. Gail on Randolph