Re: [TrinidadDC] Arboretum Place Project Promises Safer, Revitalized Community

  • RobbyCU
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
      While I think it is important to encourage development, I am saddened by the fact that DC is committing to offer Clark a 20 year tax abatement in order for Clark to begin the project.

      According to the District's CFO, the tax abatement would, "result in reduced property tax collections and, as a result, would have a negative fiscal impact." To read the full testimony please go to http://bit.ly/9xs57j

      The development's project web site is http://www.clarkrealty.com/project.asp?pid=21763086

      Of course development is exciting, but as the District is implementing Reductions In Force (RIFs) due to budget pressures, it doesn't seem rational to offer a large business such an extensive tax abatement.  Further in this city the stock of empty "luxury" apartments is astounding. Most are closer to metro and other amenities than this one would be. What is Clark's plan to actually fill the property with paying tenants?

      For some more info:
      Also point of correction, only half of the subject section of Bladensburg Road is in Carver Terrace, the eastern half, and not all of that is in ANC 5B10.

      Further, the development of the region is bigger than any ANC SMD, neighborhood, or even Ward. I am heartened by the dedication of the Office of Planning, Councilmembers Thomas and Wells, civic groups, and regular citizens that took and continue to take time our of their lives to get involved. This has got to be regional and not parochial.

      Again, I am glad there's progress, but at what cost?

      -Robby

      Robert Mann-Thomson
      robbycu@...
      http://shutterobby.blogspot.com/
      RobbyCU on FB & Twitter

      "There was a time I sought a glimmer, yet to my shame it just got dimmer"